1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently traded for an ECO and am glad I did. However, I do know that a roundbutt magwell is in my future.

The only aluminum one I am aware of is Wilson’s. My only question is this, my ECO has 25 LPI checkering on the front strap...the Wilson magwell has 30 LPI.

Is this an aesthetic mismatch? I have seen other ECO’s with this magwell and the fit looks great. Just concerned about the checkering.

Or I could just go with the xtac pattern.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased a used Les Baer custom carry. The seller installed a s&a 20 lpi magwell. The Les Baer front strap is 30 lpi. Nobody but me ever notices it and I don't even pay attention to it.

5 lpi difference, probably an un-issue, unless you are the type of person who obsesses over such a thing.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can't tell the difference unless I am looking REALLY hard. A round butt magwell on an officer frame is the only way to go for carry IMO. The Wilson magwell on an officer frame is still shorter than a Govt frame without one. I'd get the Wilson well without hesitation. I carry both a 9MM and a .45. Mostly .45. 9MM is more for range practice. Easier on the wallet. I really wished that Chen came out with an officer size magwell, but after careful review, (alabeit from photos only) I suspect the Wilson fits better on production frames that already have a rounded butt such as on the DW Vigil (pictured) or say, a Bruin. I certainly can't see the difference between the 30LPI MSH and the 25LPI front strap. EDIT: If your frame does not have a rounded butt from the factory like I mentioned above, then I'd definitely go with the Chen Magwell.

IMG_2643.jpg

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
5,997 Posts
Stan Chen is releasing one (for compacts) in the next few days, that would be my choice. You can see pictures of dozens of them on his Instagram page, he's a good follow

Reactions: Whiten and JakeM

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Stan Chen self-installed magwells have worked out very well for me, even though I've got none on a compact. I have two on DW's, a 5" Valor and a Valkyrie commander. Both slid on with out a bit of fitting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the info.

It seems like Stan Chen has a rep for superb quality and CS. I’m just curious as to how these will look on a roundbutt frame. That will likely be the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Like the way these look a bunch.
Going to have to get one for the next build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts