1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I thought RUAG Ammotec is the entity manufacturing ammo for Prime Ammunition, which is premium ammunition and one of my very favorites.

If I recall correctly, RUAG Ammotec is a quasi-public/private Swiss government owned manufacturer of small arms ammunition for the entire Swiss military and most of Europe.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I e-mailed Outdoor Limited about fps and pressure specs....will post if I get a response.

EDIT - Outdoor Limited got back to me and said they know nothing...referred my to the manufacturer. Next poster did that.

It is more than a little surprising Outdoor Limited doesn't what they're selling...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just checked some posted numbers.
- Ammotech/Ruag listed muzzle velocity is 930 fps
- American Eagle listed muzzle velocity is 890 fps
- Sellier & Bellot listed muzzle velocity is 853 fps
- Blazer Brass listed muzzle velocity is 830 fps

- Ammotech/Ruag listed muzzle energy is 442 ft lbs.
- American Eagle listed muzzle energy is 404 ft lbs.
- Sellier & Bellot listed muzzle energy is 371 ft lbs.
- Blazer Brass listed muzzle energy is 352 ft lbs.

So on paper the Ammotech/Ruag specs out "hotter".

I've had a brain fart and cannot remember the correct way to calculate the % differences btwn the numbers. I am embarassed:(.

Using the muzzle velocity data from Ammotech and Blazer Brass (930 fps divided by 830 fps) the Ammotech load has a 12% increase in MV over Blazer Brass. Am I calculating this correctly??

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, they have at least one thing going for them... I ordered after 9:00 pm Wednesday and I received them today.

I probably won’t get a chance to shoot until next week, will update then.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shot 100 rounds of it today. It does seem a little warm. I could tell no difference in recoil (even with mags loaded with a random mix with other ammo, I couldn’t discriminate between the two ammo types), but primers are clearly flattened somewhat in the fired cases.

It is reasonably accurate; more accurate than PMC, less accurate than Federal Train&Protect in both of the guns that I tested.

Function was perfect, no malfunctions at all.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good news/bad news....My case of ammo came in yesterday. But our federal/state forest lands got snowed in this week so all my shooting spots are inaccessible....I'll try to get in Sunday maybe. Patience.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts