Ruger 10/22 Bull Barrel Question

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by dgi, May 1, 2019.

1. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Any month now (LOL) my Surefire Ryder suppressor should be coming home.

I've got a factory 10/22 with a Bull Barrel.

Debating if I should get a new Kidd Barrel that'll be threaded and lighter or if I should just have my factory barrel threaded.

I'm just plinking and shooting groundhogs in my back yard.

2. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Do you have accuracy issues with the current one?

Ive got a bull barreled take down 10/22 and it's been plenty accurate with a sparrow II..

Then again it was factory threaded. So I might just upgrade if I needed threads.

3. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    It gets the job done, but its always fun upgrading if its cost effective.

Here it would be considerably cheaper to just get it threaded but I wouldnt mind dropping weight (possibly justifying the expense, if theres a decent difference in accuracy as well).

4. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    The Kidd would likely be more accurate since they are held to higher tolerances. I don't know how much you would be saving in weight though.

If you are looking to reduce weight and maintain accuracy, I suggest looking at barrels with aluminum or carbon fiber sleeves. VQ, Tacsol and Kidd are the first companies that come to mind for that kind of stuff.

5. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    How accurate do you want it to be, and are you bench resting or off-hand? If you get a premium barrel it's going to help with group size. In the end, WWJD? (What would John Browning do?)

6. Speedy396

Speedy396 Active Member Supporting Addict

Jun 5, 2015
    If you’re satisfied with the accuracy of the factory bull barrel and can get it threaded reasonably, give it a go. Around here to get a barrel threaded is around $100, so I thought it was worth getting a new barrel. I went with a Federson threaded steel bull barrel which shoots as well if not better than more expensive barrels.

KS95B40 likes this.
  7. shemeneto

shemeneto Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2016
    A cheaper, albeit heavier, upgrade that is really worth its $150 is a bull barrel from GreenMountain barrels. I bought the Kidd barrel for my build long before buying the GM barrel for my daughters rifle and look, I'm not BSing you, side by side it is not possible to justify the premium for the Kidd over the GM. Granted it is a sample of 1 each and maybe I got a little lucky with the GM and maybe a little unlucky with my Kidd sample but using the same ammo, same environmental conditions, same day, the GM will absolutely shoot on par with my Kidd, for less than half the $.
    You really should give GM a chance. No, I do not benefit in any way from you buying a GM barrel.
    Dont get me wrong, I love Kidd and own many Kidd products but my daughter insisted on paying for her own build and baked a little at the price of the Kidd barrel, apparently a wise move on her part.

unclebuck5 likes this.
  8. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I have a Volquartsen carbon threaded barrel. It's so worth it. Combined with a Hogue stock it's so light it's like cheating.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted