close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger 1911: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Amsdorf, Sep 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf Banned

Sep 24, 2011
    I put money down on a Ruger 1911 on May 16, and yesterday, September 28, my dealer finally received delivery on it. He works through Davidson's and is a VERY small-time dealer, his main business being fishing tackle and supplies, but...I bought it from him because he gave me a price on it of $593, so....was worth the wait since I was in no particular hurry to have one.

I will post pics later, along with more extensive report after spending time with it at the range, but...here are my first impressions, and though I had read similar comments from others, I was, frankly, just a bit skeptical and chalked up some of the positive reactions simply to "new gun" syndrome.

But....frankly....I was, and am, shocked.

Given the price point on this pistol, the quality is rather amazing.

The slide to frame fit is very tight, better than my Springfield Loaded, right out of the box. It is, at this point, very stiff, there is no rattling when it is in battery, none. The trigger is very crisp, no creep and I'd say it is definitely no more than five pounds on the trigger and actually feels like it is around 4.5.

The fit and finish of all the parts is very good.

It feels good in the hand, very comfortable.

The sights are very easy to pick up and get on target, quickly.

The finish on the stainless steel is very nice, the "brushed/matte" look on the steel really is complimented by the black parts, which I thought I wouldn't really particularly like, but it is one good looking 1911.

I'll be back after my range outing with it this weekend, to share more details. I'm looking forward to giving it a good lubing and putting a couple hundred rounds down through it using my various magazines.

I will post pics, not to worry.

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    We'll be waiting Rev. Looking forward to your report.

3. Kingfish1

Kingfish1 New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Congrats. Looking forward to your report also.

4. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Congrats. Knew you were waiting a while on that. Glad it finally came in and you are digging it. :thumb:

5. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    I've pretty much given this pistol a 2-thumbs up :thumb::thumb: just from what I've seen from pictures and quoted prices...Seems like a great 1911 to get a good 1911 base education from, with a very reasonable price point. It looks just fine from the photo's I've seen online. If this pistol stands up to scrutinity, I'm sure that an increase in price will slowly edge upward in the future. Good luck with yours, and will be interested in a future range report and impressions when you get a chance to post!

6. mdThanatos

mdThanatos Member

Sep 7, 2011
    At that price I doubt you could find much wrong with it. Congrats on the acquisition.

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Glad it finally came in! :thumb:

Looking forward to photos and your further impressions. Sounds like you got a good price on it too. You guys have to stop with these positive reviews. I'm considering picking one up!

Andy

8. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    Good to hear, interested for range report and possible torture test

9. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats on the new Ruger. Can't wait to read the range report.

10. *NOVA*

*NOVA* Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I am on my LGS's list for the next SR1911 they get, but its going to cost a lot more than what you paid, that is IF it ever comes in! Good deal and congrats.

11. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Congrats sir :thumb:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted