1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I was considering the FNH 5.7, but the ammo seemed a bit expensive for range and plinking. Now Ruger just introduced the 57 and reviews seems to be positive. I always put an asterisk by any internet review until I’ve played with the gun myself. But, the pistol is less money and seems like it would be a fun range gun. Anyone else considering the Ruger 57?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
I'll be picking one up. I already have a stash of 5.7x28 for my AR57. A friend of mine use an FN FiveseveN as his EDC, he swears by it. He lives in TX and has killed everything from armadillos to feral hogs with it. I've been on the fence about spending the money on an FN for several years but there was always some 1911 calling me, at half the price the new Ruger is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I’m starting to see FN 5.7s drop below $1k. Hopefully the demand is there and the ammo will come down too. Assuming there isn’t an initial shortage. Thought I was done buying for a bit “just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

Uggghh! Colt just announced the new Python. Well at least I can resist the legendary Glock 44. It’s good (expensive) to be a gun owner in 2020.

·
Banned
821 Posts
I like the gun and caliber but I feel like they made a big mistake making it take a proprietary magazine. FN mags are pretty common and several of the 5.7 AR variants even take them at this point. Wouldn't mind seeing a 5.7 Ruger PCC in the near future to go with it though.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
OK folks, I did some reading on the 5.7 and now I am interested. It appears it's a significant step up in performance from the 22 WRM, and from the video I watched not all that loud. According to Brian Pierce in his Handloading article, 45 grain bullets can be hand loaded to over 1800 FPS from the FN 4.875 inch barrel. I was surprised to find Starline does not list brass for this caliber, but apparently there is no shortage of available fired factory load brass or loading dies. At one time I was interested in a PM-30 22Mag pistol, but read of disappointing accuracy results, so that idea was nixed. Hopefully this Ruger 57 will prove better. I am in a "wait and see " mode, but watching with interest. Just like the new 2020 Python, I want to see and handle one before making a commitment with cash.

·
Banned
821 Posts
OK folks, I did some reading on the 5.7 and now I am interested. It appears it's a significant step up in performance from the 22 WRM, and from the video I watched not all that loud. According to Brian Pierce in his Handloading article, 45 grain bullets can be hand loaded to over 1800 FPS from the FN 4.875 inch barrel. I was surprised to find Starline does not list brass for this caliber, but apparently there is no shortage of available fired factory load brass or loading dies. At one time I was interested in a PM-30 22Mag pistol, but read of disappointing accuracy results, so that idea was nixed. Hopefully this Ruger 57 will prove better. I am in a "wait and see " mode, but watching with interest. Just like the new 2020 Python, I want to see and handle one before making a commitment with cash.
You wont get an accurate idea of the noise from a video, it is a pretty loud gun in my experience. I hear Elite Ammunition makes some of the best factory loads we can get for the 5.7.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I like the gun and caliber but I feel like they made a big mistake making it take a proprietary magazine. FN mags are pretty common and several of the 5.7 AR variants even take them at this point. Wouldn't mind seeing a 5.7 Ruger PCC in the near future to go with it though.
The metal magazine is probably why they were able to make the grip thinner. I'm glad they went the route they did.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’ve shot mine at 30 yards. It’s not too bad with the iron sights and I’ve been messing with a red dot. Couldn’t get a Ruger adapter plate so I made one out of one for another model. I had some trouble with that setup so I started ordering the plates at a few places and two came the same day.
I put the Ruger plate on with a Vortex Venom and shot it today. I’m pretty happy with the results. I still need to practice with it as it has a long trigger pull but not too bad at all. I have one box of FN ammo and a few of American Eagle, that are about 1/2 the price. It took me awhile to get it zeroed but can’t wait to try the FN Ammo again as it shot better with the open sights than the other.
If anyone needs an adapter plate, I have one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.