1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all things the decision between the 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" model is driving me crazy. I know, big whoop. I just can't decide. Which would you prefer and why? Again, I know...not much difference. Still......

And I have handled both. I'm leaning towards the 5 1/2, at least, I am right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other than the grip fram, grips and the hammer, there is no difference between the regular Flattop 44 Special and the Bisley 44 Special, is there?

·
Registered
515 Posts
5.5 for sure. I have a bowen conversion and it is a great size that benefits from the longer sight radius and handling.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have had 4 3/4" and 7 1/2" but I think 5 1/2" is under appreciated.
Go with the Artillery size.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,908 Posts
I couldn't decide between the two so I adopted both. When the Bisley version came out, I did it again. They're some of my favorite Rugers.

·
Banned
25 Posts
I've got both and prefer the 5 1/2", as it hangs better with just a slight forward balance whereas the 4 3/4" balances in the hand. Both of mine feel great, and I'm keeping the 4 3/4" mainly to send to Hamilton Bowen to have modified with an alloy frame and alloy ejector rod housing to drop a few ounces. Should be light and handy then, and should shift the balance toward the muzzle like it is on my 5 1/2".

·
Banned
25 Posts
Other than the grip fram, grips and the hammer, there is no difference between the regular Flattop 44 Special and the Bisley 44 Special, is there?
The trigger on the Bisley is more curved but other than that and what you mentioned, nope, no difference.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the regular SS 44 Special FlatTop Blackhawk in 4 5/8" and a blue Bisley in 5 1/2". My favorite is the shorter barrel. For me it is as accurate and handles better. I do like the Bisley grip better for hotter loads. An interesting fact is over my chronograph the shorter barrel is faster than the longer barrel with the same load. The SS gun has a tighter barrel to cylinder gap vs the blued gun.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a Super Blackhawk in 5 1/2 and a Blackhawk in 4 5/8. I prefer the balance of the shorter barrel. Handle both, if possible and see what you like better.

Reactions: 1911fanatic

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I can chime in here. We waited a long time for these guns to come out and not have to send away an Old Model .357 to be converted to .44 Special. They were worth the wait and the 50th Anniversary guns are great as well.

I opt for whichever fits you better. My preference is the 4&5/8 in this model with the smaller OM frame. My most used BH is a stainless .357 4&5/8 gun from '77. The shorter barrels do feel better for me, but I have many 5.5, 6.5, 7.5" BH's and even a 9.5" barreled Single Six.

I like the 5.5" on the Bisley frame because it is a perfect gun in this modern world to have worked over like Keith's #5 and it's beautiful if left alone and has a great balance. The steel grip frame of the Bisley may be appealing to some, it is to me.

Very few of these guns were made in .41Mag through Davidson's almost ten years ago and I'd just about fall all over myself trying to get one if I could even locate one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a few of the Flattops and they are my favorite SA Rugers. Although my 44 SPL is a 5.5". I have convertibles in 357/9mm and 45acp/Colt with 4 5/8" barrels and I like the shorter barrels better. For me the looks of the shorter barrel means more to me than an extra inch of shootability.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Gun accessory

1 - 17 of 17 Posts