1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Lot of whining on the Ruger forum about the front sight fit. Not sure if they got that all sorted yet.
Was it just the 3" model? I'm debating one of the 5" versions. Or a 4 5/8" BH. Or both.

I knew I should have left this thread unopened...

Was it just the 3" model? I'm debating one of the 5" versions. Or a 4 5/8" BH. Or both.

I knew I should have left this thread unopened...
I'm kinda lazy and didn't have the gumption to read through the entire 13 page thread, but it seems like early 3" models had issues with the sight gap and throat dimensions. Later models didn't seem to have the throat issues, sights still pretty bad. The Lipsey's 5" seemed to be better in all regards. People do mention that Ruger was responsive to their complaints, and addressed issues in a timely manner.

I DO love the look of that blued 5" model, although if I were to pony up for a new GP100 right now it would be one of the 7 shot .327 mag models. I love those hot little .32s :D

Thanks, I thought that might be the same thread and I didn't feel like wading through 13 pages either. :grin:

I DO love the look of that blued 5" model, although if I were to pony up for a new GP100 right now it would be one of the 7 shot .327 mag models. I love those hot little .32s :D
I want the 5" half lug. My last purchase of 2017 was a 4" .327 SP101 so I'm good on .32s now.:grin: The 4 5/8" .44 Special BH I was looking at sold so I'm back to debating a short .44 or .45 Vaquero. A .44 will see Specials only and a .45 will be turned into a convertible. I just need to make up my mind and jump.

Reactions: LPRoad
Discussion starter · #25 ·
Ordered it today.

Now to figure if my .44 mags Lee die set will work on .44 special. Need to start cutting down some of my .44 brass.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Well I did it. Can't find any ammo locally so I bought some cases and I have everything else and a set of .44 MAG LEE dies. I have Bullseye, IMR 4227, Blue Dot and Accurate #7 and 240g lead semi wad cutters. Just have to decide on the load.

Well I did it. Can't find any ammo locally so I bought some cases and I have everything else and a set of .44 MAG LEE dies. I have Bullseye, IMR 4227, Blue Dot and Accurate #7 and 240g lead semi wad cutters. Just have to decide on the load.

Excellent! I'd be curious to hear what load she likes.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I found a printed start of Blue Dot at 7g at 725 fps.

If your going to carry and shoot occasionally then yes.
The forcing cones are thin from the one I looked over at rte he LGS so I'm willing to bet they won't take a lot of rounds down range before a split.
Just my opinion

Discussion starter · #35 ·
7 yards or 21 feet 6.5g of Unique and LSWC. first outing. I seem to throw the first round away but that should get better with more time.

Second time out ten yards or 30 feet. 240g Berry's plated flat nose and 7.5g of Unique. Still the first rounds are flyers. But we are getting to know each other.

Looking to this Friday for the next step.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Don't let me stop you ! I'm not qualified.

Half the price of a Smith& Wesson and twice the fun cuz you can fuss with it. About $7 in shims to true up the action and hammer.

Reactions: awp101
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.