Ruger LC9's - The Good and the Bad

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by doc540, Dec 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. doc540

doc540 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    cliff:

bought two of them, added CT grips

good:
    very thin and compact
    very accurate
    very reasonably priced
    cycle CorBon DPX Barnes like champs

bad:
    one had light strikes right outta the new box

emailed Ruger - no response
    called Ruger - after being on hold about 15 minutes, they're emailing a return label
    approx 2 week turnaround after receipt

So, I took my wife's LC9 for me to carry while she carries our vintage Smith Chief's Special with CT's

2. JaPes

JaPes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks for the report doc540!

I'm considering purchasing a LC9. I've been reading forum threads with my critical thinking / B.S. filter in place. It seems that Ruger is having teething problems with the new LC9. Some work, so me don't. I'll give it a while for Ruger to figure it out before buying one.

3. doc540

doc540 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 11, 2011
    fwiw: I was a dyed-in-the-wool Colt D frame carrier for years.
    I have to carry in deep concealment, so "profile" is an important factor.

Sold all my Colt snubbies when I realized how well the LC9 worked for me.

Their accuracy is what has impressed me the most out of all their positive features.

Target pics of the very first rounds down the pipes of both LC9's: (and I ain't no marksman)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat even with the light strike teething problems.

4. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ I'm not intimately familiar with the LC9 - however, in being an SR9c owner, I know that Ruger's centerfire autos really do come slathered in some kind of awful anti-rust grease on their innards, which has a notorious reputation on the various Ruger Forums for causing light-strikes/FTFires on "brand new, out of the box" pistols that buyers take straight from the store to the range.

For the SR9/40 and their Compact line-mates, Ruger actually offers an awesome set of online resources, videos that show the detailed take-down of the firing pin assembly, as well as suggestions on how to clean it.

So, after I bought my SR9c, the first thing I did was take it apart and clean it, including the firing pin area. There was a ton of grease in there: I honestly don't know if it would have fired properly, without cleaning.

It doesn't seem that there's such resources online for the LC9 from Ruger...so I don't know if this is as common of an issue with the LC9.

5. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    We sell the ***T out of 'em at the shop.

I haven't had to send any back so far.

A lot of new guns are coming from the major manufacturers with a LOT of preservatives(grease or oil) these days.

Clean 'em before ya shoot 'em folks! :nod:

DAT85

6. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    LC9s don't enjoy the best rep even at the Ruger Forum.

Kel-Tec's PF9 has a better rep, and is a good little gun in that price range.

Kahr's CM9 would be my choice for just a bit more money, though.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted