1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about 'em if you got 'em. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Gotta fill a spot in the conglomeration.
I just don't care for the look of the S&W Victory.

·
Banned
824 Posts
I've got a lot of rounds through a Ruger MKIII and love it. Probably my favorite 22 pistol in both looks and function, and the MKIV is just a better version so I'd take that! Very easy take down, accurate and reliable, and I've always loved the grip on the Mark series. Plus, lots of aftermarket parts if you like to customize.

·
Get off my lawn...
15,077 Posts
I loved my Mark III Hunter, but a real pain to field strip & clean. Great plinker, but had to send her down the road. The Mark IV is so easy to break down, I’m thinking I need one too! These are very accurate pistols. Unfortunately, no experience with the Buckmark.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a Buckmark, my dad has a Buckmark and a MKIV. They both work very well. If you simply want an off the shelf shooter, either will do just fine and you will be happy. However, if you intend to upgrade triggers, accurize or do any other reconfigure work on your pistol, it’s the Ruger hands down. WAY more options to work with out there.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,488 Posts
Talk about 'em if you got 'em. The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Gotta fill a spot in the conglomeration.
I just don't care for the look of the S&W Victory.
I have a Ruger Mark Iv Hunter, and a Browning Buckmark Field target.

There is lot more to it than that so let me break it down based on my experiences as follows:
1)Factory Defects / substandard assembly
2)Pointability/ ease to shoot well
3)Accuracy
4) Out of the box reliability
5) After market / upgrade potential
6) Ease of cleaning
7) All in personal preference.

1) Factory defects:
The Ruger was the most sloppy assembly I have ever seen. Every screw that was in the gun got loose within 300 rounds. Front sight screw, rear sight screw, pivot pin, on and on. Every single one needed blue locktite. At last count there were 5 screws. Not really a big deal since they can easily be taken care of. I also had the firing pin break which is very hard to understand.
The Buckmark out of the box has been rock solid. Nice fit and design all the way around, not a single factory part issue.

2) Pointability / ease to shoot well
The Buckmark handles more naturally to me. It has better balance and a nicer grip imo , ymmv. I shoot it better with less effort. The factory trigger is much better than on my Ruger in that it had much less creep
The Ruger grip is too thin for me, but can be rectified with aftermarket grips. The trigger pull was surprisingly low at 3 lbs, but it had about 1/8" of unpredictable creep . I hated it.

3) Accuracy
They are even up on accuracy. However, the Browning will shoot just about any ammo well, whereas the Ruger is quite fussy.

Hands down the Browning wins here. I have not had to do a single thing to make it run. It runs everything but Remington ammo.
I messed around with the Ruger for about a year trying to figure out what it would run without frequent malfunctions. Eventually I started replacing parts, and it will now run Blazer and Federal , but not my favorite CCI.

5) After market upgrade potential
The Ruger has a big edge here. I went full Tandemkross and Volquartsen on mine. My trigger pull is 18 oz on it ( Volquartsen trigger accurizing Kit). The $10 Tandemkross extractor and firing pin fixed reliability issues. I also installed their flat trigger, weak hand thumb rest, cornerstone wide thumb safety rest, Halo charging ring, rail for a red dot, and a Vortex Venom red dot. I a,m waiting for some palm swell grips from Majestic Arms to fix the sub optimal grip. All of these changes have made the Ruger a joy to shoot and have been fun little projects.
On the flip side, there are far less aftermarket offerings on the Browning. I was able to find a Volquartsen hammer and sear spring ( they have been discontinued) and my tigger is clean 2.2 lbs. It has a rail from the factory, so I put a vortex red dot on it too. However the factory iron sights on the browning are better than Ruger imo. Tandemkross now makes a reduced power sear spring for the buck mark that I hear gets you a pretty decent 3 lb pull.

So while the Ruger has more after market offerings, I think it needs more to bring it in line with the shoot ability of my Buckmark.

6) Ease of cleaning
The Ruger Mark Iv is incredibly easy to clean. It aint even close.

7) If I could only have one, Id keep the Buckmark with the VQ hammer. It is easier for me to shoot well with it, easier to hold steady. I have more $ in aftermarket parts on the Ruger than the total cost of the Buckmark. Fortunately I can keep both as now that I have the Ruger singing, I got a lot satisfaction out of transforming it into a race gun.

FWIW, I used to own a SW model 41. both of these guns shoot better for me than the 41 did.

Hope that helps...

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I have a Ruger Mark Iv Hunter, and a Browning Buckmark Field target.

There is lot more to it than that so let me break it down based on my experiences as follows:
1)Factory Defects / substandard assembly
2)Pointability/ ease to shoot well
3)Accuracy
5) After market / upgrade potential
6) Ease of cleaning
7) All in personal preference.

1) Factory defects:
The Ruger was the most sloppy assembly I have ever seen. Every screw that was in the gun got loose within 300 rounds. Front sight screw, rear sight screw, pivot pin, on and on. Every single one needed blue locktite. At last count there were 5 screws. Not really a big deal since they can easily be taken care of. I also had the firing pin break which is very hard to understand.
The Buckmark out of the box has been rock solid. Nice fit and design all the way around, not a single factory part issue.

2) Pointability / ease to shoot well
The Buckmark handles more naturally to me. It has better balance and a nicer grip imo , ymmv. I shoot it better with less effort. The factory trigger is much better than on my Ruger in that it had much less creep
The Ruger grip is too thin for me, but can be rectified with aftermarket grips. The trigger pull was surprisingly low at 3 lbs, but it had about 1/8" of unpredictable creep . I hated it.

3) Accuracy
They are even up on accuracy. However, the Browning will shoot just about any ammo well, whereas the Ruger is quite fussy.

Hands down the Browning wins here. I have not had to do a single thing to make it run. It runs everything but Remington ammo.
I messed around with the Ruger for about a year trying to figure out what it would run without frequent malfunctions. Eventually I started replacing parts, and it will now run Blazer and Federal , but not my favorite CCI.

5) After market upgrade potential
The Ruger has a big edge here. I went full Tandemkross and Volquartsen on mine. My trigger pull is 18 oz on it ( Volquartsen trigger accurizing Kit). The $10 Tandemkross extractor and firing pin fixed reliability issues. I also installed their flat trigger, weak hand thumb rest, cornerstone wide thumb safety rest, Halo charging ring, rail for a red dot, and a Vortex Venom red dot. I a,m waiting for some palm swell grips from Majestic Arms to fix the sub optimal grip. All of these changes have made the Ruger a joy to shoot and have been fun little projects.
On the flip side, there are far less aftermarket offerings on the Browning. I was able to find a Volquartsen hammer and sear spring ( they have been discontinued) and my tigger is clean 2.2 lbs. It has a rail from the factory, so I put a vortex red dot on it too. However the factory iron sights on the browning are better than Ruger imo. Tandemkross now makes a reduced power sear spring for the buck mark that I hear gets you a pretty decent 3 lb pull.

So while the Ruger has more after market offerings, I think it needs more to bring it in line with the shoot ability of my Buckmark.

6) Ease of cleaning
The Ruger Mark Iv is incredibly easy to clean. It aint even close.

7) If I could only have one, Id keep the Buckmark with the VQ hammer. It is easier for me to shoot well with it, easier to hold steady. I have more $ in aftermarket parts on the Ruger than the total cost of the Buckmark. Fortunately I can keep both as now that I have the Ruger singing, I got a lot satisfaction out of transforming it into a race gun.

FWIW, I used to own a SW model 41. both of these guns shoot better for me than the 41 did.

Hope that helps...
#4 WOW never heard of any gun not running CCI

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,488 Posts
#4 WOW never heard of any gun not running CCI
That's been my experience too. Every other 22 I own runs cci very well.

I think I could get it to run if I bought a lighter recoil spring. CCI standard velocity is 1070 fps, whereas Blazer and Feds are about 1230 fps. The failures on the CCI with the ruger are always a failure to strip the second round from the magazine. I have 5 mags and it does it on all 5. I think the bolt is just not getting as far rearward as with the faster ammo.

But if any of you afre having function issues with the ruger, the Tandemkross extractor took care of all of my issues.

But honestly, even though the Ruger was a PITA to figure out. I did enjoy the journey of learning. Even though I prefer the Browning, I think every gun owner needs a Ruger Mark in the collection.

Lastly, I forgot to rate customer service. Both are outstanding. I do detail strips and cleanings of my 22 pistols once a year ( less than that since I discovered Hornady One Shot lube). So I tend to lose a little spring or thingy on occaision . Both companies have shipped me replacement parts at no charge. Also, I need to be clear, that I never asked Ruger to address the reliability problems of my Mark IV. I know they would have handled it. I wanted to try and figure it out.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
I had always been understanding that owning a Ruger mark IV was like a requirement to owning firearms......Everyone I knew had a couple of them.

The Pin and Steel Matches I had to borrow one from someone as I didn't have anything in 22LF back them.....Never saw a need I suspect.

10-12 years ago I broke down and bought one for the heck of it just so I could say I had one.

I wish I had looked into the Ruger 22/45 a little more.

Karswten

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
15194B7D-D576-453C-BB54-AC180482DDDC.jpeg
What do you want the pistol for? If you want to shoot bullseye or want a really accurate pistol in general, then either an all steel Mk IV or a Buckmark will work. Pick the one that feels best to you. For bullseye I like the balance of the all steel Ruger Target. If you want a general plinker or shoot run 'n gun, then get a Mk IV 22/45 Lite. I have one and love it. Of course, mine has the full VQ internals, a Tandem Kross trigger and a Vortex Venom. The trigger is amazing - zero creep, a tiny bit of movement and then a super clean break of 2 pounds. I like to shoot it one handed and it is spectacular for new shooters, especially women. And since we are on a 1911 site it does have the 1911 grip.
These are all great guns. Just buy the one that you like the best.
Jeff

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Ruger Mark IV and love it. Had a Victory and let it go since the Ruger was the one that went to the range. I put a red dot on it awhile back, not crazy about it, will probably go back to irons.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Any of these pistols will do what you want. Just pick the one you like best!
Let us know what you decide.
Jeff

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,951 Posts
Heck let me throw a monkey wrench into this thread; I've owned all the guns that have been listed on this thread and the only .22 handgun that's still in my safe is a S & W 617...never cared for mickey mousing around with .22 magazines plus I always found a revolver funner. You can run lots of ammo through a wheel gun that can choke an auto, etc. etc.
No I don't hate .22 autos and will probably pick up a Glock 44 if & when I see one in a gun shop to try it out, I just like revolvers in this caliber better.

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
I had always been understanding that owning a Ruger mark IV was like a requirement to owning firearms......Everyone I knew had a couple of them.

The Pin and Steel Matches I had to borrow one from someone as I didn't have anything in 22LF back them.....Never saw a need I suspect.

10-12 years ago I broke down and bought one for the heck of it just so I could say I had one.

I wish I had looked into the Ruger 22/45 a little more.

Karswten
Wife shoots a 22/45 and loves it.
35620108-2139-42BF-A090-CA92F00DF471.jpeg

·
Pulling my hair.
28,134 Posts
Heck let me throw a monkey wrench into this thread; I've owned all the guns that have been listed on this thread and the only .22 handgun that's still in my safe is a S & W 617...never cared for mickey mousing around with .22 magazines plus I always found a revolver funner. You can run lots of ammo through a wheel gun that can choke an auto, etc. etc.
No I don't hate .22 autos and will probably pick up a Glock 44 if & when I see one in a gun shop to try it out, I just like revolvers in this caliber better.
Yep lots of fun for sure.
IMG_20200117_200106965~3.jpg

1 - 20 of 55 Posts