ruger no 1

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by woodrow, Oct 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. woodrow

woodrow Proud Rebel

Aug 26, 2011
    i've got the itch for a Ruger no 1 in 45-70. i know the B-78 will shoot both black powder and smokeless. what about the Ruger?

2. buckhorn_cortez

buckhorn_cortez New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I have two Ruger #1's. One is a 6mm and the other is a 30-338. I also have a Marlin 45-70 lever action, so I understand the round and the #1. The Ruger #1 is a falling block (as I'm sure you know) and is one of the strongest actions available. If you look in Sierra Bullet reloading manual, you will see three levels of smokeless powder loads. The first is light and for black powder guns, the second level is for 1886 Winchester, and the third is the heaviest and only for the Ruger #1, Marlin 1895 and Browning lever actions. If you wanted to shoot black powder loads in the Ruger you could certainly do that as they would be far lower pressure than smokeless powder.

If you're loading the cartridge yourself, there is no advantage to the 300 grain bullet as the velocity is nearly identical to the 360 grain bullet. The problem with the 500 grain bullet is that it seats so deeply that powder capacity is significantly reduced and the velocity suffers. The 45-70 is best with medium-heavy bullets at moderate velocities - and the 360 grain bullet is the best combination of weight and size to preserve powder capacity.

Unfortunately, if you're not loading yourself, and you use commercially available ammunition, you're generally stuck with the 300 grain bullet as that seems to be the one loaded by most companies.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

3. woodrow

woodrow Proud Rebel

Aug 26, 2011
    thanks buckhorn,
    i've decided on the Ruger for that reason. i've been reloading for close to 30 yrs and noticed the same info in all my manuals. so, no 1 it is. thanks for the info.

4. buckhorn_cortez

buckhorn_cortez New Member

Nov 1, 2011
    The Ruger #1 is one of my favorite rifles. I have had both of mine for over 30 years. It was also a favorite of Elmer Keith, and there are several custom made examples in Keith wildcat calibers in the Elmer Keith museum at Cabelas in Boise. The rifles were made for Elmer by Bill Ruger and have select wood, 40 lpi checkering, and engraving. Keith obviously used them as they show wear, but they give another dimension to the gun's style.

Lastlly, there is one trick you can do with a #1 (if you don't already know) - and that involves the forearm. Glass bedding the barrel does nothing as you can't get the glass under the action easily, and the forearm is a separate piece from the stock which holds the action. What you can do is float the barrel free of the forearm. It is easily done with a piece of sandpaper on a dowel. Remove the forearm from the barrel hanger and carefully work the radius on the inside of the forearm. Through testing, fit the forearm so that you can pass a sheet of paper under the barrel with the forearm in place. Once you get the fit, seal the wood with a thin coat of varnish. Floating the forearm eliminates the possibility of the barrel pushing against the forearm as the barrel gets hot and will increase the accuracy of the gun somewhat.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted