Ruger Red Label issues

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by nmbuzz, Nov 8, 2018.

1. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    Some of you may remember my thread "Plastico Coolaid" where I heaped praise on Glock for their amazing customer service on a pistol that failed due to an over pressure round and not in any way the responsibility of Glock. That was my first experience at sending a weapon back to the mfg and it was a VERY positive one.
    I now find myself in need of sending another back to the factory. My Ruger Red Label
    12ga OU.

During our Addicts outing at Whittington Center last month we spent a few hours
    shooting 5 Station clays. What a hoot! I am hooked! But, as I started into my second box of shells my lower barrel started to produce light strikes on the primer and the hulls would not
    pop eject out of the gun. In 12 or 13 shells in the lower barrel ( as I needed the second shot a lot) I had 6 or 7 FTFs and all were FTEs.

I had purchased the gun a couple years ago but the first time shooting it was in Sept and then this outing in Oct. Total rounds at 100. I assumed some filings from mfg or a piece of primer in the works may be at fault till I heard from our friend Scaramouch. He had so much fun shooting clays he has joined a club near him in Vegas. He mentioned to his new cohorts there that a new Ruger Red Label was light striking for his friend. They said "OH YEAH" common issue with the newly designed ones. I then checked on the w.w.w. and this is in fact a rampant issue. Well not good news to me. I also found out Ruger no longer mfgs any shotguns and will not service their older Red Labels at all!

I contacted Ruger and the lovely lady rep was very courteous and contagiously funny
    and helpful in getting my gun sent back to them as they will look at these generation guns. But "NO guarantees they can be helpful."

I purchased a $30 UPS shipping label from them (includes insurance) and my driver Kenny
    picked it up about 30 minutes ago.

It is my fervent hope that this experience will mirror the one from Glock. I will keep you all posted. NMBUZZ

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Damn I have always loved the Ruger O/U guns. Never owned one of them but have shot several. Hope you get it fixed. Always one of my dream guns. And shooting clays is a blast. I love Sporting clays the best by far. There is a place close to here and you use golf carts to go from target to target. Look it up as the owner can do lots of different things from the rabbit targets that bounce across the ground to sitting in a suspended boat that rocks as you sit next to pond and shoot to clays flying behind bush or through openings in the trees.

Kip, UBOATDOC, wcanterbury and 2 others like this.

3. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Browning is not likely to discontinue Citoris. It's too bad that Ruger and Remington didn't stay in the game. Never liked the Ruger but the Remington I liked. I shoot Citoris now.
    Citori is a great gun but not made in the USA.
    \

wcanterbury and nmbuzz like this.
  4. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Got to say @nmbuzz that I am surprised that Ruger does not service support these shotguns. I have shot and owned Rugers for 40+ years and that was one thing you could always rely on. If it broke, they would fix it. Hope this works out for you buddy!

nmbuzz likes this.
  5. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Wow! That is a surprise that Ruger stopped manufacturing shotguns! The Red Label came back out after a hiatus of many years to much fanfare. There are old Red Labels, new Red Labels and now no Red Labels. :frown:
    Hope you get it all sorted out @nmbuzz

nmbuzz likes this.
  6. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Yep. I had one myself. Very problematic. I worked hard on fixing many issues myself. I used to have a blog and I put up a whole post about the many issues I faced with that gun. I sold it shortly thereafter. I like Ruger just fine and always liked the idea and the looks of a Ruger O/U but they just aren't built that well. It beat the crap out of me too! Recoil was substantial to say the least. Either way, good luck!

7. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Ruger made a great effort in bringing a double barreled shotgun to the American market, first time they made a decent, though a little heavy, one, and then the cost/profit margin closed it down, plus the early eighties was a time to be making ARs for the gun buying public not bird hunting guns.
    Twice since then they tried and failed, cost and quality control killed it. But, while I've never been a big fan of anything Ruger, I always admired their effort.

At Whittington I shot my 20 gauge Red Label along with the Buzzster and didn't have a hiccup. It's an earlier 1980's era gun, fact is I never had a problem with it in the thirty some years I've owned it.

P1010278.JPG

I'm glad to hear Ruger is going to take a look at Buzz's boomer, as what I've hear is it's a pretty easy fix.

Which brings me to one of my favorite subjects; shooting guns all the experts hate. I recently joined a shotgun league. We shoot trap, skeet, 5 position and sporting clays. Besides the Ruger I sometimes take an old Remington Wingmaster 12 gauge riot gun and other times an ancient H & R Topper 20 gauge I bought years ago for $50 and a six pack. I got to tell you them boys shooting them high end Brownings and Berettas just shake their heads and look at me sideways.

P1010637.JPG
    The one on the bottom has a 21" barrel and holds it own on 5 position and does okay with sporting clays. I used have a picture of the H & R but can't find it now, it's one of them single shot farm guns found in barns everywhere across America or used to be.

13667838_2.jpg
    Here's a Topper from the Web, mine is a lot more rat bitten than this one.

xerts1191, Kip, wcanterbury and 2 others like this.
  8. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Unfortunately the Red Label never really caught on. I owned one bought in 1985 and kept it about 6 months. Thought it would "grow" on me but it never did. I liked the SS receiver a lot though!!

9. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Hope the OPs Red Label gets up and running. I have a relatively rare 30” 20 gauge. A friend has heavily customized several of these and I decided to take a wack at it myself. Filed up the receiver, reshaped the top lever, removed the rib and turned it into a quarter rib with an island front sight. Filed off all the rib posts by hand. Turned the pistol grip into a straight grip and slimmed the forend wood. I did all the work myself except the checkering and bluing. Took 12 oz in weight off of it and turned it into a sleek, smooth shooter. Probably can’t ever sell it, but I think it’s neat! 0FD97E02-4A65-48E6-BAF8-5DA4358AE43D.jpeg 5D6D3F7E-A931-40DD-9865-6284F8EAB36F.jpeg 028D853D-A218-4057-A3AE-77C85B63224C.jpeg A8B363BF-15DD-492B-8570-5DA51F9BDF3B.jpeg
    Jeff

10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I don't think Ruger ever figured out where they were going with their over unders.

They made a splash in the market early as a field gun / affordable occasional clay target gun / option for a new shooter ...but they had trouble with quality ( firing pin issues, safety & barrel selector problems, ribs cracking, etc ....)...& those problems seemed to persist.

Entry level guns ...or more expensive target grade guns from both Browning & Beretta...have proven over many years to be much better guns both short & long term / and a better investment in over under market.

Remington, Mossberg & others ...had similar issues as Ruger in their over under offerings....they just do not hold up to even light clay target usage of 5,000 - 10,000 targets a year on clay fields.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    wcanterbury likes this.
  11. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Active Member

Sep 27, 2018
    981CC734-ED0D-44C4-BE66-DBA6B3B4C3CA.jpeg I have always liked odd guns
    I love my Woodside Red Label
    No issues with this one

12. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Woodsides are neat!

13. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    UPDATE #1
    Just received from Ruger: So far so good.

Dear Valued Ruger Customer,

We have received your Ruger firearm and are reviewing your concerns. We will work hard to address
    your concerns and get back to you quickly. Our typical response time is less than one week, but we will
    update you along the way so that you can track the process.

If you have any questions about your firearm, please contact Customer Service at 336-949-5200.
    Please do not respond to this email, as it is sent from an unmonitored mailbox.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

14. jimmy james

jimmy james 1911 Fiend

Aug 29, 2017
    Just went thru this with Ruger on an old 12ga RL. I think they even sent me a prepaid shipper. They replaced some parts and springs. Shipped it back in a week. All it cost me was a trip to Fedex up the street. My bottom barrel still sticks with cheap shells (Estate especially). AA's never stick. I've never had light primer strikes. That sounds like a spring issue. I also have a 20ga RL that has been a great shooter. It shoots better than me. Still trying to break 25 straight with 12ga. Once I do that, on to the 20ga. My service experience with Ruger was fantastic. I hope they fix yours. I shoot with guys toting Berettas, Browning and Blasers. They all have problems eventually. One guys Blaser the other day would not fire without breaking it open and resetting the mechanism. Really? For like $25K?

nmbuzz and Scaramouche like this.
  15. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    UPDATE #2 Sounding even better. They have had the gun for one day and it is "completed"
    and on it's way back. No word as to what was done to it yet. Probably in paperwork with the gun.
    Very responsive I would say. If it is fixed Ruger is my NEWEST best friend. :)

Dear Valued Ruger Customer,

We have completed work on your Ruger firearm, and are now preparing it for shipment.
    We will send you the tracking number when your firearm is being shipped.

If you have any questions about your firearm, please contact Customer Service at 336-949-5200.
    Please do not respond to this email, as it is sent from an unmonitored mailbox.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

xerts1191, Mike0251 and Scaramouche like this.
  16. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    UPDATE #3
    My Ruger Red Label was returned today by Fed X. Shipping box in perfect shape. Gun looks better than new as they installed a very nice custom recoil pad of their own volition.

In addition the work performed: Replaced -- Locking bolts, Left cocking rod, Left firing pin, Ejectors, Hammer strut springs.
    Made auto safety a manual safety per my request.
    Safety function and test fired 20 rounds of Federal Game Load. (The load I was firing.)
    Cleaned the gun and packaged it in a new Ruger shotgun box.

It will be a while before I can give it a workout but I am going to assume it is good to go forever.
    Under that assumption, Ruger is as good as they get!

Many thanks to the friendly folks at Ruger. Very happy customer.

Hairtrigger, rmac, xerts1191 and 2 others like this.
  17. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted