Ruger SR 1911 magazines

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Chops, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I’m both new to this form and 1911’s I have Ruger SR 1911. I have a Wilson mag 608 7rd. Doesn’t want to fit correctly. Seems to drag into well and will not eject out, have to pull it out. Also noticed when inserted the follower is pushed down maybe 1/8 of an inch. The lower tab in the follower is catching the slide lock. Any comments welcome. The Ruger mags work great.

2. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Every mag I have including Wilsons, worked great in my SR1911. I'd call Wilson and send it back. Also, I'm not sure which Wilson 7-round mag is the 608 you are referring to.

3. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Welcome to the forum 1st off.
    I am not sure just oh true to spec the Ruger is as I have never looked at them. So you have 1 factory mag that works and a Wilson that doesn't.

I would try a few different mags if you have people close with spare mags. Metal Form, CM Shooting Star, different Wilson, Colt and even S&W Mags....I have all of them and they all lock up fine and drop free.

It could be Ruger is just a touch out of spec and the mag release needs to be tuned or the Mag Release completely switched out......

Try a variety of mags 1st and see what works and what doesn't.

Karsten

4. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    The Wilson mag works fine in my Springfield RO elite compact. It just longer than the compacts 6 rd mag. I order a Mec gar mag on eBay. See how that works

5. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    I'm using 2 Wilson compact 7 rd Lo-profile steel base pad magazines and 2 full size 7 rd aluminum base pad magazines in my SR1911 and all work just as well as the factory mags. They all lock in fine and drop free full or empty. The Wilsons aren't flush fit tho, they have an extended base pad. I've never had to return any Wilson parts, but from what I've read I'm pretty sure they would stand behind them if they're defective.

6. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I just got 3 new Mec gar mags and work great no problems. The Wilson doesn’t. Work in my SR 1911. Yet it works in my Springfield range officer elite compact. Longer being a 7 rd when compacts mags are 6 sitting flush. I just won’t use it in the Ruger SR

7. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Not long ago I learned Mec-Gar was not just aftermarket, they also construct OEM magazines in Italy for a number of well-respected gun manufacturers. I also have a handful of their magazines and have found them to be more than satisfactory and they all function just fine. You sound like another happy customer.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  8. Chops

Chops New Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I heard they actually made mags for Ruger SR 1911. But I bought 3 for my SR and one for my SA compact and there awesome

9. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Indeed, Mec-Gars have been good-to-go in a handful of assorted SIGs and Browning Hi-Powers that I’ve owned over time - glad to hear their 1911 mags are getting an A+, also!

10. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    The SR1911 I had came with Checkmates. The one my cousin just bought also has Checkmates.

11. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Springfield uses 8 round Mecgars for the Loaded Black Operator(Long Beach).

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted