Ruger Ruger SR-1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by CMG, Oct 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    My dealer told me yesterday that he will have the two-tone (TALO) Ruger SR-1911 today (and will hold it for me), but I'm not sure I want it.

I'm going to look at it in the morning, and will go from there. Hokie, did you ever get the one TKR put you onto?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    If you can get a good deal on it at the very least you could flip. People are going ape over this model for some reason.

3. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
  4. WahWah

WahWah Debbie Downer ... WahWah! Supporting Addict

Oct 26, 2011
    I find it surprising as well. And Ruger priced it right for themselves, but I don't know why people would choose this or the Remington R1 over the Springfiled RO at the same price.
    Ditto with the new Ruger 556. Really? $1,400?

5. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think people will take this over the RO for the better finish. I definitely think the better gun is the RO hands down, but imo, the STI Spartan is better than any of them and it is cheaper than them all with more options

6. Colt 45

Colt 45 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I looked at one of the Ruger 1911s at my lgs when they first came out. It was fitted and finished exceptionally well, and and wished I had bought it. I went back a few days later and it was gone. The truth is I like Colts, and probably would have sold it eventually anyhow.

Max

7. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think the big hang up with the RO is the rear site. If they offered a fixed rear, then I think that would be the go-to 1911 in that pricerange. Since there are only a few replacement rears available (Harrison and allegedly a 10-8 soon), some folks are passing on it. I passed on the SR1911, as I would have switched out the black controls and various tidbits and inevitably would have had a Dawson installed, at a cost that puts me into a LW Operator....with an intact warranty.

8. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The RO is also supposed to be a competition based gun, hence the adj rear. Some comp shooters hate them, but others love them. I am starting to like them a lot more as of late. Simple reason being..... If you change from 185,200,230, 200 LSWC, 230 LRN, different powders, diff charges, diff AOL, hell even even same powder, different lot can all change POI. I never really messed with it much until recently. With a fixed sight your pretty much SOL, but with adj you can make adjustments as neccessary. Im just really surprised the RO did not use or atleast offer a FO upgrade, especially because Dave and Rob both shoot FO's and they probably had the most input into the design of the gun

9. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    A lot of the posts I've read by new SR1911 owners state one of their reasons for the choice is that it is entirely made in the USA. Could be the Springfield's Brazilian origins have something to do with people choosing the Ruger or the Remington.

Dave

10. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I passed.

It was actually the standard model, my cost would have been $625 + tax. It looked well-made, but I don't like the matte black small parts either and would also want to replace them with stainless parts, which would make the price go up.

One thing that stood out immediately, the thumb-safety seemed to be a bit thin, especially the extended paddle. Reminded me of a Charles Daly. :biggrin1:

11. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    I had a Rem R1 I liked it thought it was well made no failures - sold it for funds for my new M&P .40 VTAC if I'm buying a cheap 1911 it would be the Armscor full rail like the looks... Looks well built and I don't care about MIM or PIM, or any other stupid nonsensical BS if it feeds and fires and hits what I aimed at I'm happy

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  12. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I like my SR1911 enough that I wouldn't sell it to fund another 1911 but the adjustable rear on the RO is the reason I don't care for it. I have no doubt that it would appeal to more people if they offered a fixed sight version.

13. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That RIA full rail version is probably going to be my next 1911 purchase.

14. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    That's a beautiful pistol:hail::thumb:

15. Outlaw450

Outlaw450 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    I was gonna get the ruger but I got sick of looking and calling gun stores and got a Kimber instead. I won't buy anything Springfield makes until they stop sending work to Brazil and Croatia. There's too many American workers looking for jobs for me to help keep Brazilian and Croatian workers employed.

16. Line Rider

Line Rider New Member

Sep 18, 2011
  17. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO Olde Fart

Nov 7, 2011
    Based on the one I had, you made a good decision.
    Mine was back to Ruger in a few days and when it came back, I was still not happy with a 1911 that had trigger creep, heavy pull
    and sounded like it was running over a washboard road as you cycled the slide.

Mine morphed into a Sig 1911 which I like a fair amount better.

Still not a Kimber, but what can I say. ;-)

18. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Actually, I was offered a second chance, and brought it home this morning.

The trigger is a bit stiff, but I can take care of that here at home.

No other issues that I can detect and the slide cycles just fine on this one.

Sorry yours wasn't up to par.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted