close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger SR1911 - First Range Trip Report

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Amsdorf, Oct 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf Banned

Sep 24, 2011
    Well, I took the Ruger SR1911 out to the range today, and shot it for the first time, putting it through its paces. What a pistol!

It performed flawlessly, through over 400 rounds, not a single misfeed, FTF, or FTE. Nothing, and I tried my best to get it to stutter and cough. It would not hear of it. Unlike my Springfield Loaded through its first few hundred rounds, the Ruger SR1911 had not a single issue.

I stripped one off the mag and had one in the chamber and shoved the magazine back in fully loaded...perfect performance. I used four different magazines with it, Ruger's own 8 and 7 rounder, that it came with, some relative inexpensive Kimbers, a bunch of Kimber Pro-Tac and one Wilson ten round magazine. Again, it performed flawlessly with each magazine. I shot it as fast as I could through four magazines in a row, one right after the other...flawless.

I used really cheap ammo, for what it is worth, at least the cheapest I could find that was still FMJ and brass.

I'm NOT any kind of experienced 1911 shooter. I've only had a 1911 since last April/May and have only shot a total of 1000 rounds through any of my handguns. And, I've only been shooting since last November, and, I've got fifty year old eyes, etc.

So...my point in mentioning all this that I'm sure in the hands of a real expert the results would have been even more impressive.

At 25 feet, from a bench rest, I shot a one inch group, at 25 yards, put them into about a two inch group, and at 50 yards, I got most of the shots in the black on the bulls-eye target.

Here are the videos:
    Part One
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funnWctU7hw&hd=1
    Part Two
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0fxKIhNJQ&hd=1
    Part Three
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OTd-pCk08&hd=1
    Part Four
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-xEtPYbJA&hd=1
    Part Five
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPrrsbpcmmg&hd=1
    Part Six
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSe2xW8mzj4&hd=1
    Part Seven
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6tH9yIeY-4&hd=1

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Great for you rev.. Nice reveiw. Ruger seems to have a real winner on there hands. Now make a blued version and we'll buy another. Great shooting by the way.

3. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Sure am glad I'm not one of those "experts"...my review seems to concur with your experience and that makes me happy.

4. deadguy

deadguy Tom Petty Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Yet another tick on the clock as the countdown to me buying one of those nears its end.

5. Talo1911

Talo1911 New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Nice to see a positive report on the Ruger 1911. Anyway you look at it, you can't beat the overall quality of the SR 1911 for the price.
    I never listen to all the advise of others, especially those who like to dwell on the negative.

I was told by many, to never buy a 1911 with a 3" barrel. But, my Kimber Ultra has been fantastic .... :star:

6. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    I should have mine in about 2 weeks! Can't wait to get it. I just told my dealer I wanted one Thursday.

7. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Nice report. Thanks. What a great range too.

8. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Fantastic write-up and videos, very informative, thanks for your efforts. I really like the pistol, it almost seems to good to be true and you know the rest of that. I will go with my original post that as these become real popular and sales skyrocketing like they probably are now, I'd be really surprised if they didn't raise the price to meet the demands. They probably realize what a winner they have, and threads like this one will make the choice to buy one for somebody looking for a great pistol and at a reasonable price a no-brainer. Additionally, you would almost expect to have some kind of minor issues that given this price, you could make it reliable if needed. However, your videos and write-up are a strong testimony of how solid this 1911 really is...I'm amazed, and at the same time, I can't help but think of the $$'s I've spent on semi custom pistols and had the same feelings...Is there going to be minor issues I can live with?? They do have a good waranty?? Do I have to feed it a diet of "X" brand ammo to assure reliability?? This pistol is proof positive that good 1911's at reasonable prices are out there! Thanks so much Amsdorf :thumb:

9. Jbeck1911

Jbeck1911 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Great review Thanks!

10. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Good review and videos, thanks! Glad to hear it's running well. :thumb:

Andy

11. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Active Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Great video review of the Ruger. You can post a video review anytime here as far as I'm concerned. I have one on order with Impact Guns. Don't know when it will come, but I hope it's before a price increase.:eek: Hope mine is as good as your Ruger and from other reviews I've read I think it will.

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I don't recall anyone saying it wouldn't be a solid 1911, especially with the features at that price. I think everything I heard had to do with Ruger itself and it's track record and the fact that this is their first 1911. So far so good. Have yet to see a bad report on them. Glad it's running well Rev. Seems like a winner. Great review and vids.

:thumb:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Seems there was a thread on TOOS abut this. Someone was stated the expected the SR1911 to be problematic.
    Basically a troll thread be a Ruger hater.

At this point, I would just like to see one first hand,.......sure hope Ruger makes an all stainless model in the future!

Congrats to the OP,........great shooting as well!

14. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    For some reason, maybe in his other thread, I thought it was a stainless pistol? Maybe hard chromed then? It's a very attractive pistol nonetheless!

15. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    the small parts are black and not stainless. i think that's what Greg is getting at.

16. Amsdorf

Amsdorf Banned

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks for the great feedback guys and your encouragement.

Now I've got a pretty dirty pistol to clean today.

:)

17. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That's a good problem to have. I will have the same problem later today. :biggrin1:

18. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Oh ok, I gottcha. I did go back and take a peek and he did mention stainless so I kinda figured something along those lines..

19. Amsdorf

Amsdorf Banned

Sep 24, 2011
    Headed out to the range tomorrow with the SR1911, will report back.

20. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Cool, have a good time at the range. :thumb:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted