1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if the SR1911 Commander would be a good bump in the night gun. I have a 3 year old so need something that can fit in a safe and my wife feels better about a gun with a safety. I keep a 1000 lumen torch in the safe too, so I don't really need a rail. Just something I know will go bang 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
I had the Commander & Gov't models and they both went bang every time I pulled the trigger thingy. It's only issue in both models were that you could wake the 3 year old with the rattle of the grip safety.......... or rattle them to put said 3 year old to sleep I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
Thanks collector, that's interesting. Do you know if there is a DIY fix for the rattle issue?[/QUOTE]
Yes...... sorta..... sometimes!! In a lot of cases you can remove the Main Spring Housing and simply apply a little more spring tension with the sear spring leaf on the right. It helps hold the GS a little firmer. I actually replaced the MSH with one from EGW as they seemed to be a better lateral fit as well. I'll check to see if I still have an EGW GS as I sold the gun stock. If so its yours if you want it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Collector is a fine and generous man. As for the grip safety, it of course won't rattle when you're grasping the gun, so I don't think you'll annoy the burglar with the sound. My only reason not to keep a nice 1911 as a nightstand gun is that if you need to use it, the police will probably confiscate it and throw it into an evidence box. For that reason I use ugly plastic guns for home defense. If the authorities scratch them up I won't weep bitter tears.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
The Collector is a fine and generous man. As for the grip safety, it of course won't rattle when you're grasping the gun, so I don't think you'll annoy the burglar with the sound. My only reason not to keep a nice 1911 as a nightstand gun is that if you need to use it, the police will probably confiscate it and throw it into an evidence box. For that reason I use ugly plastic guns for home defense. If the authorities scratch them up I won't weep bitter tears.
Not to derail the thread but by that logic no one should ever buy a quality gun except for range use. It’s a fact that if one is ever forced to take action the gun will go into evidence. Whether it’s a $500 gun or $7,000 Burton, small price to pay for you and your families lives, if it comes back with a scratch oh well. If a scratch is that devastating to you I bet the smith will polish it out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love 1911s just like the next guy and my family is protected by HK. I just don't trust the platform...I have owned a few 1911s and still have one--S.A. R.O. ELITE OPERATOR, and all of them had issues. I never even heard of an HK go down...just sayin

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,573 Posts
I have two SR1911 CMDs.
One is stock with the exception of the magwell, and barrel bushing which I replaced due to the original being an overly poor fit.
The other is a SS model in which I replaced everything but the frame, slide and barrel due to personal preference.
Both are reliable and more than combat accurate!
Gun Yellow Firearm Trigger White
Yellow Colorfulness Circle Precision sports Shooting
Gun Brown Product Firearm Trigger

·
Premium Member
8,159 Posts
View attachment 363381 Well picked it up today. Was pleased to find out the previous owner actually had the spring fix for the grip safety already installed, so thanks @TheCollector, but spring not needed! Also had some trigger work done. Feels good, might get a chance to shoot it this evening.
Finger Skin Thumb Wrist Gesture

·
born in the wrong century
8,961 Posts

Police confiscating a gun of mind used to defend my family or self is about the last thing on this Earth I'd give a rip about.

My family is the first.

Sorry, man.....but I don't subscribe to that logic. My nightstand gun is one that I shoot often and am confident in....same as my carry guns.

·
born in the wrong century
8,961 Posts
View attachment 363381 Well picked it up today. Was pleased to find out the previous owner actually had the spring fix for the grip safety already installed, so thanks @TheCollector, but spring not needed! Also had some trigger work done. Feels good, might get a chance to shoot it this evening.

Hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Police confiscating a gun of mind used to defend my family or self is about the last thing on this Earth I'd give a rip about.

My family is the first.

Sorry, man.....but I don't subscribe to that logic. My nightstand gun is one that I shoot often and am confident in....same as my carry guns.
I don't disagree with your point of view, but I have three ugly plastic guns that seem to be entirely reliable and maybe even better for home defense since they have rails for mounting lights, so I don't think I'm scrimping on my family's safety.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I am finally over worrying if the police take my expensive gun. I have used a Glock G17 for night stand duty and a Sig or a Glock for carry. I am upgrading to a Wilson Combat for carry as I just shoot it better. If it gets taken by the police so be it. The G17 will remain the night stand gun as it has a light and TruGlo night sights that work for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am finally over worrying if the police take my expensive gun. I have used a Glock G17 for night stand duty and a Sig or a Glock for carry. I am upgrading to a Wilson Combat for carry as I just shoot it better. If it gets taken by the police so be it. The G17 will remain the night stand gun as it has a light and TruGlo night sights that work for me.
I'm alive but the cops took my gun as evidence seems a small price to pay to be alive.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.