close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger Ruger SR1911 Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Magus, Aug 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Magus

Magus New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Something of a duplicate post from over at the hellhole that is Glocktalk, but I think I'll get better answers here.

Seriously considering this as my next 1911. Yeah I know it's not some boutique/custom model, so I'm being realistic about it.

Just looking for opinions, pics, etc. I've yet to hear anything truly negative about the Ruger SR1911. Really want one. My local dealer...who is a Ruger dealer is a complete ****** and I'm not dealing with him anymore at this point for a variety of reasons in addition to his inability to get just about anything from Ruger. He said...and I quote "we might have one in by the end of the year." Seriously? How the hell are you a Ruger dealer and can't get one? Really...really? WTF good is this guy to me? Couldn't even give me estimated pricing. Done. Better dealers out there for sure. PM me if you happen to live near me and don't want to deal with this moron.

These are hard as hell to find right now for sure. Gunbroker had about 7 or so up for bidding around Wednesday or so this past week, now there's ONE...yes ONE. Must be a decent pistol I'm thinking.

2. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I have not heard anything negative about them except there is just not a very large supply of them out there. I have seen a few on GB, but at the prices I saw, I would wait it out if I was looking to pick one up.

3. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Your guy could have definitely gave you a price quote, but thats about it! As far as Ruger dealer goes, any FFL that has pretty much any distributor is a Ruger dealer and its not going to get you a gun faster. There is however, dealer preference from a lot of the distrubutors. People who order more frequently or higher volume will get preference initially over smaller shops. Its not like he can call Ruger and order up the gun. Even if his store was super high volume and he was part of a buy group going factory direct, your still not calling Ruger and saying i need to put one on order, how long!

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    The dealer/distributor relationship (I've been told) is similar to the one that automobile dealers (which I know) have. The dealer has to buy some of "what the distributor wants to sell" to get one of the "hot selling items". One LGS in my area had two NIB SA TRP's that they sold for $1250 each. By the time I found out about them, those two were gone and what he had was $1450. The guy that was with me had just bought one of the $1250 pistols so I just asked the dealer. This is what he said "I place a Springfield order about twice a year and if my order is big enough they'll normally give me a TRP or two for a couple of hundred dollars less than the usual cost. When I get them, I just pass along the savings and sell them." He had no reason to lie about it and I believe the guy.

On the Ruger.. I believe the price will come back down after the newness wears off. Were it me.. I'd buy a Springfield Range Officer for $750 and call it a day.. Ron

5. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Coming from an FFL that is not necessarily true, but is somewhat. A lot of the time distributors will run promotions. For example the LC9. They ran a promo where if you bought one of every model on a specific list from Ruger, you would get an LC9 for free.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Close enough.. Mostly the same effect.. Cheers.. Ron

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The SR1911 is a great 1911 that Ruger did right the first time out. No complaints and total reliability with 230gr. ammo weather it be HP or ball. I mention the weight since its all I use in my 1911s. I paid around $600 for mine.

[​IMG]

8. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
  9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I've heard they're a good bang for the buck. I'm tempted to get one as a beater/loaner 1911 for the range. :smilie:

Andy

10. Pima Pants

Pima Pants New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Apparently they don't have the "Ruger safety paragraph" on the slide. That's a good thing.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The only negative with the SR1911 is not being able to find them!
    It's a great deal, I've yet to read a negative review!

12. Magus

Magus New Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for your opinions so far. And thanks to those of you who responded over on GT. Sadly thanks to one giant troll, my thread got locked over there before I could respond. Guy didn't even own the gun...just hated Ruger.

Anyway, thanks again. Keep the info coming guys.

13. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, that thread turned into a debacle. Pretty common over there the last few months.

14. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Went shooting with a buddy of mine yesterday. He claimed his LFS had two in stock and was tempted to buy one.

15. claimbuster

claimbuster Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I found one early on. It is fantastic, IMO. I own and regularly shoot several 1911's and the SR1911 is becoming a favorite. Nothing fancy, just a good, accurate, dependable shooter. My current round count is 500 +/- and it eats up anything I feed it.

Admittedly, I've got my name on a couple of lists and intend to get another. Really looking forward to a commander or 4".

[​IMG]

In a MS Summer Special 2 and Ahrend grips.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  16. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I was asked about the Ruger last month while I had my 1911 family at the range, I guess I looked like a 1911 "guy"! My advice was wait a year from today and see if initial quality goes up or down and then look for how Ruger is servicing the bad ones. i.e.,: Springfield

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    The 5.11 gear and combat boots are a dead giveaway.. hahahaha.. Ron

18. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011

It's on the bottom of the dust cover. :grin:

19. Jbeck1911

Jbeck1911 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Ya im a Ruger Dealer and I havent seen one yet myself! First one is coming home with me when it does come in! was getting impatient but im still waiting.....there is another post in here search "SR1911" Quack found one store with some if you want it right away. BTW where abouts in Va im close to Va and have a transfer deal with a shop down in Winchester Va that i can transfer guns free to that shop. So if your Close to Winchester ill let you know as soon as they come in!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I got to handle one yesterday at the range. A nice older (yes, than me) gentleman was running it quite well. The fit and finish looked pretty good and he said it was very accurate. It had the mainspring from hell and was downright cranky to rack. Overall I thought is resembled the Remington and felt like it as well. Ron

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted