Ruger SR1911 Range Report

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by 2001SportTJ, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 2001SportTJ

2001SportTJ 1911 Totin' Redneck!

Sep 17, 2011
    I finally got a chance to take the Ruger to the range today. I put 300 rounds through it without any malfunctions. I shot a mixture of WWB, Federal Champion, TulAmmo, Remington UMC, and Speer Gold Dots, no problems feeding or ejecting any of them. I used the factory seven and eight round mags that it came with as well as my Wilson Combat mags and some cheap Kimber mags, no problems out of any of them either. My only complaint is with the sights. I kept shooting left so I thought that I was either jerking the trigger or flinching. I focused on those two issues and I was still shooting about 1" left of my POA, which leads me to believe that the sights are off a bit. I ordered a set of Trijicon HD night sights a few days ago off of Midway but they are on backorder, hopefully that will fix the issue. Overall I am very impressed with this weapon, once I get the sights straightened out I think that this will be my new EDC piece.:thumb:

Crappy iphone pic of the Ruger:

[​IMG]

Target shot at 20 yards offhand:

[​IMG]

Now i just need to figure out a way to get the grip screw bushing out. When I was putting the grips back on after I detail stripped and cleaned it I stripped the head off of the screw and can't get the bushing out now:mad2:. I might try to use a pair of channel locks but I don't want to scratch the frame. If anybody has any ideas feel free to chime in.

2. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011

3. 2001SportTJ

Sep 17, 2011
    Do you think a hair dryer will do the trick? I don't have a heat gun at my house.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Got a soldering iron? Place a hot one on the bushing for about 60 seconds

5. 2001SportTJ

Sep 17, 2011
    Not at my house. All my tools are at my shop.

6. 2001SportTJ

Sep 17, 2011
    Finally got the bushing out. What a PITA. I ordered some new bushings and screws and a set of VZ frags yesterday. Hopefully they will be in before the weekend, I was really looking forward to taking the Ruger to a class I'm taking this weekend.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted