Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag/.44Special

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Colorado Sonny, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Well I do have to curb my addiction now after picking up a Ruger New Super Blackhawk .44 Mag/.44Special #0802 at Bud's for $529.00.

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist the price on the deal as it was $70.00 cheaper than the nearest priced competitor.

Ruger has newer models out now and I am of a mind that Ruger may be discontinuing the Elmer Keith inspired dragoon frame in order to streamline their revolver lines?

I am of a mind to send it off to Jim at Long Hunter's Shooting Supplies for mechanical work http://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php

Have Bobby Tyler of Tyler Gun Works CCH the frame. trigger & hammer, high polish the barrel & cylinder and fire blue the screws. https://tylergunworks.com/

Scott Kolar at SK Custom Grips put some fancy walnut grips on this pistol! https://www.skgrips.com/

mlea5150, CENTURIATOR, LPRoad and 9 others like this.
  2. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Nice score! That's a great price. Reminds me that I should take mine out sometime soon and shoot the spiders out of it.

wcanterbury likes this.

3. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    I've got an old, pre warning label SBH, that saw lots of saddle time with it's previous owner.
    I call it a hand rifle because it's really easy to shoot and hit things that are a long way off!

Be careful, big bore SA revolvers suck you in and soon you're collecting bullet moulds and casting your own and playing with alloys....

Mike A, gps man and wcanterbury like this.
  4. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    I can put together some great rounds, especially the .44 Special. Lots of good cast bullets around..Have to check on suppliers again. looking for those classic hard cast Elmer Keith bullets!

Mike A and gps man like this.
  5. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    What is this “ curb my addiction”
    You speak of???

Nice score!

Bud’s can have some good deals.

Missouri Bullet Company, Matt’s Bullets, Montana Bullet Company are good sources of 240 grain Keith bullets.

gaijin and wcanterbury like this.
  6. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Both of my SBHs are new models but if you can take stout loads, so can they.

1E29AE30-CF6A-44F8-B03B-413B8B2A0A97.jpeg

Scaramouche, gps man and wcanterbury like this.
  7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    The recoil and kick on that must be epic

Beef.gif

wcanterbury, Acroyer and Mike A like this.
  8. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    A lot of commercial cast bullets are too hard (so they don’t deform in shipping) and they have beveled bases, which is not something you want.

Beartooth bullets is a great website to check out.

gps man, gaijin and wcanterbury like this.
  9. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    Great score! I had one with the bisley grip I regret selling.

wcanterbury likes this.
  10. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    Bisley SBH is next on the list. I have to look for that special one in blue with a vent rib on top! :roll: The Bisley Super Blackhawk Target! :grin:

Mike A, gps man and Gimpster like this.
  11. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    I guess my timing was just right! These guns at $6.00 more are reserved for Bud's Club Members ONLY! Hooty Hoo! I love a good deal!

Oy Vey! Remember the Eleventh Commandment, Thou shalt not pay retail! I think that commandment is found in Deuteronomy? :rolleyes:

gps man, Gimpster and Mike A like this.
  12. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I have a new SBH. If you shoot indoors, warm them. The range master where I go, usually comes over to find out what kind of "cannon" I'm shooting. Nice revolver. Have fun.

wcanterbury likes this.
  13. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    I will be shooting outdoors.

"Warm them"?

limbkiller, Gimpster and Mike A like this.
  14. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    I’m guessing “warn” them. Some indoor ranges don’t like .44 Magnums.

wcanterbury likes this.
  15. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    That's a great deal, love the SBH, had one way back in the '80s. Great fun to shoot.

wcanterbury and Mike A like this.
  16. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    What a great price. I got one back in the 80s for $168 & will never sell it. It is the 44 mag I settled for when Colt kept dragging there feet about coming out with one. Soo glad I did not wait for Colt. One heck of a hunting revolver for Deer, Pigs & Bear. I like the Win 296 & the 265 gr SP that Hornaday makes.

wcanterbury and KS95B40 like this.
  17. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    A superb bullet is the 260 grain Keith SWC from Rim Rock Bullets. It is offered in 12 or 15 Brinell Hardness and diameter of .430 or. 431.
    Since Rim Rock introduced these I have shot almost 8k of them in several Ruger Flat Top and Super Black Hawks as well as a 6 1/2" Model 29 at velocities up to 1600 fps with no leading. I use the 12 BH ones over 8 1/2 grains of Unique for a medium all around load and 22 grains of 2400 for a full power one. Sounds rather like Elmer, no?
    Most reloaders use a bullet that is much too hard.
    A fair trial has been given to the heavyweight (300 and 320) grain LBT bullets but I keep coming back to these as the ideal (for me) bullet for Deer, Black Bear and wild Hogs.

18. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks! I never thought about lead hardness to much. Valuable info there to bear in mind!

19. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    Good score! I like my stainless Super Blackhawk. I put some Grashorn elk stag grips on it and it dressed up nicely. I too took advantage of whatever Ruger promo it was that Bud's had going on and ordered a pair of New Vaquero 357s for the SASS stuff.

gps man and wcanterbury like this.
  20. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    Did you get the SASS models as a set?
    [​IMG]

gps man likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted