1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Deo Volente
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I do have to curb my addiction now after picking up a Ruger New Super Blackhawk .44 Mag/.44Special #0802 at Bud's for $529.00.

Couldn't resist the price on the deal as it was $70.00 cheaper than the nearest priced competitor.

Ruger has newer models out now and I am of a mind that Ruger may be discontinuing the Elmer Keith inspired dragoon frame in order to streamline their revolver lines?

I am of a mind to send it off to Jim at Long Hunter's Shooting Supplies for mechanical work http://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php

Have Bobby Tyler of Tyler Gun Works CCH the frame. trigger & hammer, high polish the barrel & cylinder and fire blue the screws. https://tylergunworks.com/

Scott Kolar at SK Custom Grips put some fancy walnut grips on this pistol! https://www.skgrips.com/

·
Double Secret Banned
2,138 Posts
I've got an old, pre warning label SBH, that saw lots of saddle time with it's previous owner.
I call it a hand rifle because it's really easy to shoot and hit things that are a long way off!

Be careful, big bore SA revolvers suck you in and soon you're collecting bullet moulds and casting your own and playing with alloys....

·
Deo Volente
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got an old, pre warning label SBH, that saw lots of saddle time with it's previous owner.
I call it a hand rifle because it's really easy to shoot and hit things that are a long way off!

Be careful, big bore SA revolvers suck you in and soon you're collecting bullet moulds and casting your own and playing with alloys....
I can put together some great rounds, especially the .44 Special. Lots of good cast bullets around..Have to check on suppliers again. looking for those classic hard cast Elmer Keith bullets!

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
What is this “ curb my addiction”
You speak of???

Nice score!

Bud’s can have some good deals.

Missouri Bullet Company, Matt’s Bullets, Montana Bullet Company are good sources of 240 grain Keith bullets.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,018 Posts
The recoil and kick on that must be epic

Beef.gif

·
Double Secret Banned
2,138 Posts
A lot of commercial cast bullets are too hard (so they don’t deform in shipping) and they have beveled bases, which is not something you want.

Beartooth bullets is a great website to check out.

·
Deo Volente
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great score! I had one with the bisley grip I regret selling.
Bisley SBH is next on the list. I have to look for that special one in blue with a vent rib on top! :roll: The Bisley Super Blackhawk Target! :grin:

·
Deo Volente
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess my timing was just right! These guns at $6.00 more are reserved for Bud's Club Members ONLY! Hooty Hoo! I love a good deal!

Oy Vey! Remember the Eleventh Commandment, Thou shalt not pay retail! I think that commandment is found in Deuteronomy? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a new SBH. If you shoot indoors, warm them. The range master where I go, usually comes over to find out what kind of "cannon" I'm shooting. Nice revolver. Have fun.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Deo Volente
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a new SBH. If you shoot indoors, warm them. The range master where I go, usually comes over to find out what kind of "cannon" I'm shooting. Nice revolver. Have fun.
I will be shooting outdoors.

"Warm them"?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,593 Posts
That's a great deal, love the SBH, had one way back in the '80s. Great fun to shoot.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
What a great price. I got one back in the 80s for $168 & will never sell it. It is the 44 mag I settled for when Colt kept dragging there feet about coming out with one. Soo glad I did not wait for Colt. One heck of a hunting revolver for Deer, Pigs & Bear. I like the Win 296 & the 265 gr SP that Hornaday makes.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
A superb bullet is the 260 grain Keith SWC from Rim Rock Bullets. It is offered in 12 or 15 Brinell Hardness and diameter of .430 or. 431.
Since Rim Rock introduced these I have shot almost 8k of them in several Ruger Flat Top and Super Black Hawks as well as a 6 1/2" Model 29 at velocities up to 1600 fps with no leading. I use the 12 BH ones over 8 1/2 grains of Unique for a medium all around load and 22 grains of 2400 for a full power one. Sounds rather like Elmer, no?
Most reloaders use a bullet that is much too hard.
A fair trial has been given to the heavyweight (300 and 320) grain LBT bullets but I keep coming back to these as the ideal (for me) bullet for Deer, Black Bear and wild Hogs.

·
Deo Volente
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A superb bullet is the 260 grain Keith SWC from Rim Rock Bullets. It is offered in 12 or 15 Brinell Hardness and diameter of .430 or. 431.
Since Rim Rock introduced these I have shot almost 8k of them in several Ruger Flat Top and Super Black Hawks as well as a 6 1/2" Model 29 at velocities up to 1600 fps with no leading. I use the 12 BH ones over 8 1/2 grains of Unique for a medium all around load and 22 grains of 2400 for a full power one. Sounds rather like Elmer, no?
Most reloaders use a bullet that is much too hard.
A fair trial has been given to the heavyweight (300 and 320) grain LBT bullets but I keep coming back to these as the ideal (for me) bullet for Deer, Black Bear and wild Hogs.
Thanks! I never thought about lead hardness to much. Valuable info there to bear in mind!

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
Good score! I like my stainless Super Blackhawk. I put some Grashorn elk stag grips on it and it dressed up nicely. I too took advantage of whatever Ruger promo it was that Bud's had going on and ordered a pair of New Vaquero 357s for the SASS stuff.

·
Deo Volente
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good score! I like my stainless Super Blackhawk. I put some Grashorn elk stag grips on it and it dressed up nicely. I too took advantage of whatever Ruger promo it was that Bud's had going on and ordered a pair of New Vaquero 357s for the SASS stuff.
Did you get the SASS models as a set?

Reactions: gps man
1 - 20 of 25 Posts