close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger Vaquero Birdshead 45 Colt

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by awpk03s, Sep 17, 2011.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Member

I have always wanted one of these, and I was finally lucky enough to snag one recently.

A Ruger Vaquero with a 3.75" barrel, birdshead grip frame chambered in 45 Colt. This model is the original Vaquero using a large (Blackhawk) frame, not the slimmed down version in today's New Vaquero models. Ruger discontinued this gun back in 2004. My example was produced in 2001, and wears a blued finish with the faux case colored frame. I probably would have preferred a stainless one, but these are pretty scarce on the used market, and the price was right for this one, so I jumped on it.

I fit a Bisley hammer on it, because I like the much lower spur for my smaller hands.

The grip, and the overall balance of the gun - just fits me like a glove - I love it. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but I hope to remedy that soon.

I do not cowboy shoot, so this is just going to be a target/plinking and woods gun for me. I may CCW it occasionally in colder months.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Enjoying Life! Supporting Addict

That is a good looking gun. I would love to shoot that. Will it handle hot handloads?

3. awpk03s

awpk03s Member

Being a <2004 large frame Vaquero, it's supposed to be A-OK with hot loads, just like a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk.
    I will find out though, because I have a lot of pretty hot loads that I'm counting on shooting in it.

Would love to pick up a 45ACP cylinder to go with it too.

4. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

5. limbkiller

Didn't Know you get a 45acp cylinder for them. The .45 colt with with the right handloads can take lots of game.

6. awpk03s

awpk03s Member

You can fit a 45 ACP cylinder from the Blackhawk convertibles. I have seen them on the market from time to time...
    I really like the 45 Colt round. I fully plan on taking my stainless Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in 45 Colt deer hunting this year.

[​IMG]

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Nice pickup! I always wanted to try one of the birdshead SA revolvers since I can't get comfortable with the traditional flared out bottom grip frame.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  8. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

High Desert on a dirt road with no outlet.
    The only thing I don't like about a birds head is that it's almost impossible to nail up a wanted poster. Other than that, love your hammer choice. Stout gun and perfect for the woods.

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

:lol:

Good-looking gun. Nice proportions.

Andy

10. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Very nice

Congrats! :cool:

11. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Boy! That Ruger Bisley looks dandy. I don't think any "real" handgun lover, ever outgrows the feel and looks of a SAA. I usually take great care of my handguns, but I made an exeption with my new style Vaquero 4 5/8" blued in 45 Colt. Try to copycat real old western frontier style use with it.
    So it shoots a lot of Black Powder, and see hard outdoor use no matter the weather conditions. So now it looks like it was straight out of a museum, but mechanically sound.
    Not beeing a weekend cowboy gun, it's always fun to see peoples reaction, when they discover it's a 6 year old Ruger, and not a 100 old Colt.

12. awpk03s

awpk03s Member

I was able to take this little revolver out and shoot it last weekend. Man... it sure is fun! Shot about 25 yards, and it hits point of aim. The throats are a bit undersized and could benefit from some reaming, but I'm not sure I'd notice the results actually with the kind of shooting I'll be doing with it. It's pretty accurate as it is, so I will probably leave it alone for now.

I didn't do any formal target work... those who live in a wooded area (at least in Ohio, not sure if these are everywhere) will know that "puffballs" or large white mushrooms about the size of a basketball, are fun targets. They even smoke when you hit them. Needless to say, I destroyed a puffball in front of our backstop.

Recoil is really not bad at all with the short barrel, I'm going to really love this gun.

I got a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster for it, and it's very nice. Carries nicely strong side or cross-draw. I got it with IWB straps as well, but haven't yet tried that out, haha.

13. limbkiller

They grow all over Ky. Shot lots of them.

14. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

That Ruger will last you forever. I have three with the square butt. Shoot them at CAS. Never a problem.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted