1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we all have different ideas on the perfect 1911, and how we option a build. But there are some options on a amazing 1911 I see and think why? I would love to here other folks least desirable features they see on 1911's these days. Let's say everyone's top 3 annoying choices. Here is mine. These are totally subjective and not meant to start a flame war. I am sure many would find issue with my choices and that perfectly ok.

1. To me nothing worse than a perfectly optioned 5" model with carry cuts (not FCS) running down the slide. It's like putting an aftermarket fin on the back of a Mercedes AMG.

2. I have come to find 1911's without a flush cut and crowned barrel less and less appealing.

3. A fiber optic front sight on a $3k + handgun has always perplexed me.

Luckily the last 2 could be fixed. But the 1st one is just a no go for me.

I'm interested to hear your guys opinions on your absolute no go's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For me it is the flattened and beveled slide stop, fluted barrel hood, any sights other than plain old black, rear of slide serrated and heavy bevel on bottom of slide. I am sorry, did I just give 5 instead of 3.
If I was doing a custom build I would turn these down even if they where offered for free.

·
Never Forget
9,275 Posts
Number 2 I 100 percent agree with. I like Hi Power cuts but have grown to like angled carry cuts a little less. I'm not real big on FCS at all. I do like Ball End Mill cuts though.

I think the sight thing is age and eye dependant. Older guys who need the fiber optic to see I can't ding them for it. Even though a good Rogers white ball or gold bead probably works just as well.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Hmm things that ruin a build for me every time, interesting question.

1. Trigger with stars or any other gaudy, bs shapes cut out of it
2. Gold nitride barrel or pretty much gold anything on a 1911, I'm neither a pimp nor a 3rd world dictator so keep that stuff off the gun
3. Super expensive grips that aren't functional / safe to shoot while on the gun.
4. Big (and I presume expensive) display boxes and cases, if you sell that $5,000 gun in a fancy walnut case with velvet lining, etc then that means you are selling a gun to sit in a safe and show off occasionally not use as God and JMB intended.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I do not like rails on 1911's. I own one and will own at least another because their utility can't be denied, but I don't like the look on what should be classic lines. Yet for some reason full length dust cover Monolith-type guns are very appealing to me.

I do not like "distressed" finishes. To each their own, but my pistols earn their wear. Obviously the look appeals to many or it wouldn't be so prevalent, but it is not for me.

I do not like anything gold on a 1911. I don't like nickel or hard chrome, but gold is off the charts. Like my opinion on the rail, the utility of HC is very real and because of that I could picture myself owning another one or a two tone gun with a HC frame. It is not a look I care for, but gold is a hard "no".

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Number 2 I 100 percent agree with. I like Hi Power cuts but have grown to like angled carry cuts a little less. I'm not real big on FCS at all. I do like Ball End Mill cuts though.

I think the sight thing is age and eye dependant. Older guys who need the fiber optic to see I can't ding them for it. Even though a good Rogers white ball or gold bead probably works just as well.
I would have thought NOT nice grips would be your top annoying choice on a 1911!

3 that come to mind for me is a non-ambi safety, smooth or “slickery” grips, and front/rear strap treatments that appear to only be for looks and not grip purchase.

·
Registered
689 Posts
There are very few options on 1911 that I’ve seen and don’t like.

But the definitive 3 are top slide serrations, rear slide serrations and carry cuts. I really dislike any rear of slide treatment though. Just becomes a distraction and interferes with a good blending job.

I’ll eventually be ordering a WC Experior single stack which has all 3. I will request them to be deleted.

·
Never Forget
9,275 Posts
I would have thought NOT nice grips would be your top annoying choice on a 1911!

3 that come to mind for me is a non-ambi safety, smooth or “slickery” grips, and front/rear strap treatments that appear to only be for looks and not grip purchase.
That was such an obvious choice even you recognized that I didn't need to post it. 😉

·
The Tinker
4,208 Posts
I am not a fan of anything 'pretty' on a firearm, but some do-dads are less offensive than others (except those 'stick up like a wind sail fixed rear sights). If some modification doesn't address a functional requirement, I prefer it to be left off.

And ambi safeties are a functional requirement on my pistols.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,381 Posts
Here is the FIRST 1911 I have ever owned with has everything I want and nothing else. The sum is much more than the parts.

Now that it has black grips on it, the overall effect has to be compared to Cindy Crawford in a black evening dress without the damn mole.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A fiber optic front sight on a $3k + handgun has always perplexed me.
I've been guilty of this. It's an eyesight issue, not an aesthetic issue. When I purchase a completed pistol, sights and grips are not usually a concern. These are two things that can be swapped in a heartbeat (or two).

I have a variety of pistols, fully engraved, plain Jane, and all kind of stuff in between. If you have one or two pistols, I get it. But who the heck wants 20 or 30 pistols that all look alike??

1 - 20 of 167 Posts