1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this R1 earlier this week. It has been carried quite a bit, and the finish is pretty thin on it like the Norinco I posted earlier in the year. I'm going to rust blue it with Mark Lee Express Blue #1. I'll post some progress pictures, and update as things move along. I have some things going in in the next few days that will slow me down a bit, but I hope to get a few cycles of bluing done tomorrow at least.

The finish on the frame and slide had a bit of surface patina starting, so I went ahead and sanded the majority of the remaining finish away.

You can read about some of the reasons I got into rust bluing in my Norinco thread.

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/rebluing-a-norinco-1911.34355/

I find this fun, relaxing, and pretty satisfying especially for a hack like me. :D

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
In for the edjamakshun . . . . . .

Reactions: RazorBurn

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished what I feel will be the last carding. She's in a water displacing oil soak as of now.

I'm having a small spot of skin cancer removed off my left arm tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll feel up to putting it back together tomorrow afternoon. I sure hope I do though.

Here are the last of the pictures until she's back together. The first picture is from the second or third carding. I did six cardings total.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the well wishes! The skin cancer removal went very well, and it was suprisingly quick, and the process only took fifteen minutes or so. Arm feels good, so I did a few more sessions on the frame and slide, and just put them in the oil soak.

All the small parts are finished, and ready to assemble. I'll have completed pictures possibly late tonight, but I may wait until tomorrow (highly doubtful knowing me) after work to assemble it. Here are a few more pictures, including one of it in the oil soak.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, here are some natural light pictures of it from this evening. I ended up putting a new Colt sear spring in it as the original just didn't make the hammer catch to my satisfaction. Trigger feels great for a factory trigger, and there's no hammer follow either. :D

I'm liking this one more and more since it's finished.

·
Registered
855 Posts
It has been somewhat hard for me to get a feel for what you accomplished in your other pictures, but that last set right there is very impressive. Nicely done!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Nice job on the blue. The Norinco was nice so I expected nothing less.

If you have a Colt laying around with the factory mainspring you might try some manipulations by hand. The R1 I bought new had a less than #23 pound mainspring. This is not unique to Remington. Others are doing the same for the purpose of trigger sense.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
The Remington is beautiful, great job RazorBurn.
I really am a Remington Addict as well. Have not even shot a
Remington 1911 yet. Well that may change ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts