1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up one of the new S&W Performance Center Model 19 Carry Comp revolvers. These three inch model 19 wheel guns are visually pleasing (to me). I’m a sucker for 3”ers! It comes with two sets of grips (wood boot grips and a set of really ugly rubber grips). The wood grips (1st picture) look awesome, but tended to have a sharp edge that didn’t agree with me. After my first 100 rounds down range, I swapped out the pretty wood grips for a set of Kim Ahrend boot grips. I like the feel of Ahrend grips, as they fit well in my hand. For a Performance Center wheel gun, I found the trigger pull to be less than stellar. Most of my older S&W revolvers have smoother trigger pulls than this one. But I’m sure Smith and Wesson has several floors of lawyers that dictate what’s acceptable for all their hand guns. Don’t misunderstand me, I do love the M19 carry Comp. It just lacks the refinements of their older offerings. The barrel is ported to relieve the kick of full house 357 loads. And I must admit it is functional, as I was comfortable shooting four cylinders of the hot ones one handed. All in all a pretty sweet revolver. Hopefully the double action trigger pull will improve over time. Thanks for taking a look.

Brown Gun Ammunition Firearm Trigger
Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Tan
Brown Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Brown Wood Firearm White
Wood Gun Firearm Ammunition Trigger

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Very nice! I agree 200% with your feelings regarding the older Smiths. One of the guys I see regularly at my range has one of the 19-7 original offerings and it is suh-weet! The current version is about the only new "locked" Smith I'd ever consider but will hold out for one day having the funds when a -7 comes available LOL.

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really liking the looks of that one Charlie, especially with the Ahrends stocks.
I am convinced that S&W's "Performance Center" is a thing of the past... They simply use the label to jack the price up a few bucks.
Right on, @SparkyAZ! I tend to agree with you on the whole S&W Performance Center thing.

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking wheelgun you have there...what's the muzzle blast like with full house loads?
Thanks Old Timer! Probably a thing of beauty at night. :cool: But the recoil is very mild, with full house loads. Easy for follow up shots. With the porting, I’d compare it to 38 Specials or +P (worst case).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was at a LGS a few weeks ago when a guy came in with a revolver identical to yours - he was looking to sell it to the shop as he was in a bind.

They low balled the crap out of him and he relented...I felt really bad for the guy and only wish I had the resources to take it off of his hands for a fair price. Hang on to it...

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I own the same gun. I too had a problem with the stock wood grips. With 357 loads they removed the skin from the inside of my thumb at the knuckle closest to my hand. Seems to be a figment problem. I use a pair of pachmayrs on mine. Shoots great and I carry it own with a tucker holster.
Nice looking rig, Chris! I’m currently on Milt Sparks (long) list for a VM-2 holster for mine. In the meantime, I have a couple other 3” K Frame holster options. Thanks for sharing yours!

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for posting this!

I've had my eyes on one of these at my LGS. Look pretty great, and was wondering if they felt good enough to look over the internal lock. Good info.
Although I certainly prefer the older Smith’s (less external lock), unfortunately, I think they will be with us for a while. I for one, will not pass on a product I like due to the lock. Nor will I try to remove and fill the hole. I haven’t seen too many successful attempts that looked natural. It is what it is. If your not pleased with the trigger pull, take it to a qualified Smith for a little action work. My current trigger pull is acceptable for a carry piece. ymmv.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
That’s a beauty!

If it was me I’d send it out to have the lock removed & plugged as well as an action job, then shoot the H E double hockey sticks out of it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.