S&W 66

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by HooDoo Man, Apr 18, 2019.

1. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    I'm wanting to get a new S&W Modal 66 w/2.75" bbl. I know the Trigger/Action is not going to be good. To my standards anyway(spoiled). My S&W guy is no longer around and I need some recommendations for someone to do some work for me w/o waiting 6 months to complete the job. I do know quality takes time. And if the job is above par, I'll pay the $$$. I like Quality. Thank you.

2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015

3. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    IMG_0419.JPG I second the recommendation of seeking out a original as I detest what the internal locks represent. This is my most carried gun, no work but every bit as accurate as a 4", and excellent balance.

4. Saludachase

Saludachase Ron

Jul 22, 2016
    01BFC961-B74C-45B6-9AB1-A410D8E697B9.jpeg Mojo Gunworks. Did this for me. Trigger job, indexed for right handed shooter with stop, crowned, mojo single action hammer. It was the only hand gun I refused to get rid of. I also had him do a 66 with all the above minus the hammer that I gave to my son

Scaramouche likes this.
  5. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    @Dreadi did a trigger job on an old 66 for me recently. DA trigger is extremely smooth now.

6. FastDoug

FastDoug Member

Feb 9, 2019
    As a S&W man you can buy a new one if you do not want to wait and then buy a lock delete kit and a trigger job kit and both can be had for around $60. There are you tube videos on this and and if you are new at this you should have no problems.

7. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I don't have a new M66, but I have one of the new 2.75" M69s and the trigger from the factory was darn good. Even the old Smith triggers had to break in. In the old Smith days, the Colt revolver trigger pulls were considered better.

8. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    In my opinion, the Colt triggers were never considered superior to S&W triggers -- especially in double action because the Colt triggers "stack" when you pull them. I will take an N frame S&W over any Python made....based just on the trigger alone.

However --- to the point OP brought up...in K frames, the older model 66's are better than any of the newer models. The older guns have soul ...and a lot less MIM parts.../ ...all the new models are full of MIM ...

But I must also say the new model 627's out of the performance shop are really pretty nice guns ...( they will never be as good as the older model 27's )... but I picked up a pair of 627's ....one in 2 5/8" and a 5" ...and after a break in period, the triggers on both guns are very good ...and need no improvement.

gps man and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  9. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I have done a few trigger jobs on the new model S&W Model 66. After opening a few of these up I am not impressed with the way they are built. Two which were brand new guns were already rusting inside when I received them. Also, they just feel cheap. I have a new Model 686 3 inch which is a nicely put together revolver which makes me wonder why they built the 66 differently. If it were me I would find a nice condition pre-lock 66 and call it a day. prices have come down a bit and it is not a hard to find gun.

BigJimP and gps man like this.
  10. KS95B40

KS95B40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2017
    Another vote for looking for an original M66.

View attachment 255695
    My 66-1

The newer Smiths are actually pretty good revolvers (I have one lock model) but they just can’t compare to the “real” thing.

41 Charlie, Acroyer, BigJimP and 2 others like this.
  11. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    Every time someone posts a K frame it reminds me of my stupidity. I’ve posted this before, but at one time I had one each of a model 64, 65 and 66...2 1/2” and 3” barrels.......sold them all. Prior to that I had owned other 66 2 1/2” and 4” and an L frame 686 2 1/2” all pre-lock. The only one I could never find at the right price was the 65 Lady Smith....super looking revolver.

The k frame (IMO) was the perfect size revolver......wish I would have at least kept the 66 3”. Maybe I’ll run across one someday.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    gps man likes this.
  12. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    @Ohio....
    A Ladysmith M65 like this?
    [​IMG]

41 Charlie, Novak77, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.
  13. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    GPS man...that’s just mean! Beautiful revolver! The finish and grips make it!

Novak77 and KS95B40 like this.
  14. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    @HooDoo Man & @Ohio . . . .I have a No dash 66 Snub coming in in the next week or so . . .happy to slick it up before shipping :):)

joerockhead and KS95B40 like this.
  15. gps man

Nov 7, 2015
    just a little Saturday torture!

Ohio and KS95B40 like this.
  16. gps man

Nov 7, 2015
    What about @me?
    I passed on a 4” 66 yesterday as I have one already, but a snubbie is a different deal.

Old Sea Dragon, Ohio and Karl Beining like this.
  17. Karl Beining

Karl Beining Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Hey @gps man did i tell you about that 66 Snub I got coming?? ;-)

gps man and Ohio like this.
  18. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    How about some trade bait for your 65 LS!!?? I don’t own one, or never have, but I could come up with a Glock 17 or 19 to trade you even for your LS! Good deal! Ready to trade? (;

Karl Beining likes this.
  19. gps man

Nov 7, 2015
    LOL!

Karl Beining likes this.
  20. gps man

Nov 7, 2015
    Oh oh OH!!!!

That is an ever do tempting trade offer!

Not! I think it wants to stay here... keep all those other S&Ws in the safe company.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted