1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,608 Posts
Same quality as every other S&W revolver. And waaaaay better than Taurus.

Reactions: FWoo45 and gps man

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Being a competitive shooter, only the 6 and 8 shot revolvers are of any use to me.
I had a 7 shooter, nothing to use it for and nobody interested in buying or trading for it. So I paid S&W to put in a 6 shot cylinder and hand.

·
just one more
656 Posts
I don't own one, so big grain of salt opinion here. I have shot a bunch of 5, 6 and one 8 shot S&W. All have been good guns. Having very little experience with rugers I'd opt for a smith and not look back. (nothing against the rugers I don't have enough experience to criticize/praise them)

·
We Are!
2,685 Posts
Reactions: gps man

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't own one, so big grain of salt opinion here. I have shot a bunch of 5, 6 and one 8 shot S&W. All have been good guns. Having very little experience with rugers I'd opt for a smith and not look back. (nothing against the rugers I don't have enough experience to criticize/praise them)
I just bought a 4" 1970s Ruger for $450 shipped, and it was in very good condition.

Although I am not a wheel gun aficionado, in my hands the action feels smoother / tighter than the Dan Wesson I have.

It also feels better than the 686 I handled in the gunshop a few weeks back. So I'm happy with the purchase- the one thing I cant attest to is accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I kept thinking there’d been a .357 MG variant from S&W - nice!
I do not know if S&W ever made any 686 dash four 7 shot Mountain guns or not. This one started out as a 2.5 inch. Bought it for somewhere around $450.00 on an auction site, then replaced the barrel and and ejector rod assembly to make it a Mountain Gun. Years ago, you could buy a new Mountain Gun barrel from the factory for about $127.00. I did the same thing with my model 629-1. Dave Clements reamed the chambers out to minimum .45 Colt specs, then my gunsmith friend installed a new .45 Colt Mountain Gun barrel and presto- I have a 45 Colt Mountain Gun.

IMG_0481.jpg
i

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Being a competitive shooter, only the 6 and 8 shot revolvers are of any use to me.
I had a 7 shooter, nothing to use it for and nobody interested in buying or trading for it. So I paid S&W to put in a 6 shot cylinder and hand.
Just curious as to why? My 686+ has been a reliable gun, I like it well enough. It's certainly not like a prelock smith (my prelock .38 snubby has a waaay better trigger) but it works for a fridge gun. I'm pretty uneducated about wheel guns and especially competitive wheel gun shooting, your insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm pretty uneducated about wheel guns and especially competitive wheel gun shooting, your insight would be appreciated.
IDPA allows no more than six shots in Revover Division.
USPSA allows either six shots at major power factor or eight at minor power factor. Target arrays may have up to eight scored hits from one shooting area, so the eight shooter quickly took over the Division.
There was a short period before the six/eight shot rule went into effect that my seven shooter was a slight competitive advantage, but it didn't last long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts