S&W Airweight after 9 months of carry in Kydex

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by rblondon, Feb 24, 2020.

1. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    After 9 months of 4-5 carry outings per week, with twice a month range trips thrown in to perfect the appendix presentation, my Ti framed S&W airweight finish is holding up amazingly well. The gun has consumed approximately 500 rounds of 158 grain SWC at normal 38 Special velocity, along with a couple hundred +P carry rounds. Frame wear from the draws is minimum, I've seen no evidence of top strap issues and the Kydex doesn't appear to be making much of a dent in whatever exterior finish the gun came with. The fiber front sight has lost a bit of its brillance - I'm up for changing that to an XS Big Dot or something of that nature at first encounter. The fiber works great right down to 'some light'; it glares out as bad as anything I've every used with a flashlight and it's nearly invisible in no light conditions. My eyes are not young, that's a factor. Still, I can't give fiber a big plus when the light starts falling. The only holster I have used is from Eclipse Holsters, a woman-owned company which I find makes good stuff. I'm on the lookout for a leather IWB rig for the gun.

The grip finish has suffered, it rides next to skin during the summer outings walking the dog, on a road bike or when running. With a layer of cloth between gun and skin rest of the year. No finish on earth is going to hold up on wood. The grips themselves are fine - Craig Spegel's boot grips.

Questions are welcomed. DSC_4966_res (2).jpg DSC_4967_res (3).jpg DSC_4968_res (4).jpg DSC_4970_res (6).jpg DSC_4972_res (8).jpg DSC_4974_res (10).jpg DSC_4976_res (12).jpg DSC_4977_res (13).jpg DSC_4979_res (15).jpg DSC_4981_res (17).jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2020
  2. bluelund79

bluelund79 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2019
    Great write up. I have a similar holster from Garrett Industries, however mine is leather lined for my 442. I’d highly recommend it if you’re already extremely comfortable with carrying that exact style holster. If I get a chance this evening, I’ll share a photo.

AGENT P likes this.

3. bluelund79

bluelund79 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2019
    I actually had a couple on my phone.

Attached Files:

4. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    In this era of more good holster choices than ever, your idea might be the best: find a maker, find a model, but one for every gun you carry. One might end up with a lot fewer rejects in the unused holster totes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluelund79 likes this.
  5. weeesss

weeesss New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    I have an M&P 340 with the CT grips. They are too short for my liking so I got the standard Hogue rubber grips. I carry it only a couple of times a month. Those wood grips are a really nice. How is the grip?

6. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    The grip is excellent up to 38 Special +P+; I've fired a 'few' 357 - few - I see no need to more of that. The Spegel grips work great, get all my fingers onboard and don't twist, etc., in the hand.

weeesss likes this.
  7. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Fiber sight on a wheel gun? Is that legal? :)

Love the setup!

july19 likes this.
  8. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    I’ve had the opposite experience with my 642, it’s almost like the finish on edges has flaked off, only ever carried in a rough side out leather pocket holster and can literally see grey lines where the surfaces contact the holster interior.

I’m a big fan of Waterlox on wood, may be worth a shot on your grips.

rblondon likes this.
  9. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    thanks - may be what I end up with. Ive got the iwb version for 1911s; the owb didn't o it for me, bought that from a forum member and the price was right to call it an experiment. Very few guns disappear like a J-frame AND give you the versatility in rounds. Even the little sub mini 9mms can't offer load options like you get for a revolver. I often carry the first one or two rounds as shot capsules during our long, long snake season. Copperheads and a dog's nose are bad. The J handles shot up close; though a 3-4 inch tube helps much.

bluelund79 likes this.
  10. Kevin1!!

Kevin1!! Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Nice report and write up. I’m looking at buying a revolver for the staple. I sold the only one I ever had, a J frame and now will be going with the new Colt Cobra Retro if I can find one at a decent price. I was going back and forth between old school leather or kydex IWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. rblondon

Jul 11, 2018
    Old school leather - look at davis leather, kramer of sparks. kydex - just buy one from eclipse holsters you won't be sorry.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted