1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Wheel gun fanatic
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty fed up with S&W. My brand new 627-5 (2.62") came with a front sight that just falls out. Contacted the service dept and was told it was not a warranty claim and I would have to pay for it.....on a $1000 gun. Absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
Wheel gun fanatic
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldn't the dealer you purchased it through be running point on this for you?
Ive had it for nearly a year but it had never even been out of the box. Apparently its an ongoing problem with this particular model (dovetailed front sight). I found a solution online and fixed it myself. Be my last non prelock smith.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Totally unacceptable. Go up the chain and raise hell and demand an apology. Or your going on social media and taking them down. Like your beginning to now.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Never mind. You messed with it so it's a done deal. Sucks though.

·
Registered
Wheel gun fanatic
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dovetail wasnt machined correctly. Its about .016 deeper that the thickness of the sight. I ended up making a shim from a stsinless steel c clamp and using some red loctite. Its rock solid now

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
they suck alright. gave me such a hard time about exchanging my magazines,. lot sof emails and phone calls to try to get them to do right by me. I am done with them

sold off all my S+W guns. heaven forbid I would have needed CS, they would have not done right

·
Turgid member
568 Posts
That's bad on several levels.
A few years ago I bought two new S&Ws and both immediately had to to back for repairs. At least they fixed them.

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Turgid member
568 Posts
MIM isn't the problem. The company is the problem. Could be the company started down it's current path at the same time as MIM. I don't know.
My late 80s early 90s S&Ws are great.

Reactions: boatdoc and Dub

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,727 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that mim was the problem. My apology for any communication error there.I noticed the quality of customer service decline at about the same time. Somewhere in the mid '90s I noticed a change in the way they handled customers.

·
Turgid member
568 Posts
Got it.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
My experiences have been completely different. Only used S&W cs twice, about 2-4 years ago both times. And both times a prompt RSA label emailed, and repaired product returned inside of 2 weeks. Now using their discount coupons was a different experience, for a tech challenged guy like me.
But overall, yeah I'll stick with older pre lock, pre MIM revolvers. No need for cs, as Joni points out.

·
Colt 1911 Government
534 Posts
All of my S&W revolvers were made over 45 years ago.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't even look at new S&W products. Their QC sucks and I think their Performance Center pistols look stupid. I don't want a revolver that looks like a space gun. Newest Smiths I own and shoot are a 29-5 Classic from mid 90's (94-95) and a 686-3, also from the early 90's. Both are excellent. S&W was making great revolvers in the 90's, but they really went downhill.

All my other S&W's are C&R or close to it.

·
Professional Pest, NRA Patron member
2,727 Posts
The 29-5 is my favorite generation of N frame 44.

·
On The Lost Highway
327 Posts
I just got back from my first range trip with my stainless steel 3" barrell Ruger Speed Six made in 1988.

Changed my mind about rude and crude Ruger revolvers....And S&W too.

.357 Nirvana.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts