1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what this is in regards to Pre Lock and Lock? Please pardon me ignorance, but I am thinking about buying a Smith in the future.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sparky. Are they still made this way?

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,606 Posts
Pre-lock guns are better regarded in general. The whole lock thing pisses people off because it is a reminder of S&W's capitulation to the antis when they were owned by an English conglomerate couple of decades ago. Plus the hole is hideous. However, the guns are still solid, I have a couple with the lock and it's no big deal in real life.

·
6,606 Posts
Thanks Sparky. Are they still made this way?
Yes, except for some of the J frames, like the 442, I think they all still come with the lock.

Reactions: Dub and UBOATDOC

·
6,606 Posts
Old M19-6, no lock-

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the lock the small hole above the cylinder release?

·
6,606 Posts
Is the lock the small hole above the cylinder release?
Yes.

Doesn't look like it should be that big a deal does it? Your question illustrates why it is a principle issue more than a practical one.:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Some claim it will accidentally lock your gun. It has happened a few times. If you are worried, they make a plug for the hole and you can take the guts out of the lock to completely and permanently disable it. My 637 has a lock and I don't care. I also don't have the key. I have shot it a lot.
David

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Old time S&W purists won't buy a S&W with the Hillary hole lock in it. I have 6 S&W revolvers and none have the locks. I buy them because of the lack of MIM parts, internal firing pins and better blued finishes. I have no issues if someone buys a gun with the lock, but I personally seek out the pre-lock, pre-MIM ones myself.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I own 3 with the lock. There is no problem with them so far. Just ordered a 629, I don't think it's a problem except for the big gaping nasty looking hole in the side of your gun.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the responses! Learned a lot.

Reactions: Dub

·
Registered
217 Posts
6B62227A-4598-4112-B570-190D60FEFF3A.jpeg
9981890E-5E58-4D10-9CA3-69581CCB6234.jpeg
The lock is a storage device to keep it safe from prying hands, ie children. My kids learned from an early age, if they wanted to see one of my firearms, just ask. No mystery, no sneaking, just ask.

Folks make it more than it is. Don’t like it? Who cares, don’t buy it. Unfortunately, they are missing out on some of the best revolvers ever produced by the company. And they have a lifetime warranty.

I have three with the lock, all 45 ACP. All three are quite accurate and one of the 4”models is my EDC.

Kevin

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 442 and 642 at least are made with or without the lock. I have a newer 625 with the lock and it has given no problems. I think only the very lightweight .357’s gave problems. I don’t like needless complications on a defense piece, so I avoid the lock.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The 442 and 642 at least are made with or without the lock. I have a newer 625 with the lock and it has given no problems. I think only the very lightweight .357’s gave problems. I don’t like needless complications on a defense piece, so I avoid the lock.
I’d just remove it if it were to bother me.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 47 Posts