S&W Model 65 in 3-inch or Kimber K6s in 3-inch...What’s Your Pick?

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Nalajr, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey all.

I stopped in the local shop last week to nose around and saw the Kimber K6s in 3 inch for the first time. Really nice looking revolver and felt great in the hand. After leaving the wheels start turning about the K6s. I’d like your thoughts please.

I have a really nice S&W model 65 with a 3 inch barrel that I’ve had for about 15 years. It was originally sent to an agency in Kentucky and was used by plain clothes and detectives. It came with the standard grip as well as the rubber Pachmayr grip. I left the factory grips on it but added a Tyler’s T-grip and not only does it look great, but it also feels great in the hand too. This pistol hasn’t been shot much at all and whomever owned it either knew about getting a great trigger or he sent it out to have it done.

I’m wondering how the Kimber K6s compares to my 65, both with 3 inch barrels. I think the Kimber is the better looking of the 2, but the 65 is likely in much higher demand than the K6s is. I don’t see them up for sale that often and I’m not really sure what they are going for these days. The K6s sells for around $900. I’m pretty sure my 65 isn't going to bring that much.

So, I am wondering which one you all would choose if you could have either one. If you were going to carry it, which would you go for? The only real difference between the 2 is weight. The 65 weighs about 31-32 ounces while the K6s weighs about 25 or so. Both are 6 shot.

I don’t think you’d go wrong with either of them. There’s just something about a great looking and shooting revolver.

Thank you got your time.

41 Charlie likes this.
  2. Icopy

Icopy Member

Aug 11, 2020
    I would carry the Smith. Trusted reliability from a reputable maker. The K6 may be a nice revolver but Kimber doesn’t have the track record of reliability that Smith has.

3. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    65 3” all the way. K frame Smiths are the perfect size, 3” barrel makes it that much better. And depending on condition a 3” k frame can pull a decent price.

41 Charlie, HooDoo Man, rmac and 2 others like this.
  4. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    My S&W 65 has an amazing trigger and carries well.

S&W 65.jpeg

5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    S&W

Weiker likes this.
  6. gunfighter45

gunfighter45 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Model 65 hands down. I carried an issue model 66 for years and always looked for a 3” 65 to no avail. The Smith also features no MIM parts, a mainstay with Kimber.

HooDoo Man, rmac and Brianfede like this.
  7. Brianfede

Brianfede Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I have the blued version Model 13, second from the right. The 13 and 65 IMHO have great balance with the 3 inch barrel. I will never ever sell this Smith.... The Kimber, it's nice but to me it's hard to beat a 3 inch smith.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    Ingramite, Old Sea Dragon and rmac like this.
  8. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    Same here, hands down.

Ingramite and rmac like this.
  9. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    S&W every day and twice on Sundays :grin:

Ingramite likes this.
  10. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    S&W, on looks alone! Never mind performance and reputation.

Ingramite and mikegalway like this.
  11. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    ^^^^^^^^^ This . I've got one just like it . Reliable and accurate .

41 Charlie, Ingramite and blamo like this.
  12. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    S&W 3" K frame, it doesn't get much better than that.

LEO918, Ingramite and blamo like this.
  13. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Save your nickels until you can add the K6s to your collection but do not sell your Smith to fund it.

Ingramite, fatbaldguy and Songcatcher like this.
  14. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy Cranky old curmudgeon

Jul 28, 2017
    The K6 is a borderline great revolver. SWMBO has one with about 1K rounds through it. It is light and easy to carry. Full house loads are unpleasant. .38Spcl +P are tolerable. Very accurate. Not a particularly appealing appearance.

15. Ingramite

Ingramite On The Lost Highway

Sep 16, 2018
    I've owned both.
    Momma said if you can't say something nice to keep your pie hole shut.
    Go with the S&W.

16. Nalajr

Nalajr Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks all for your help and advice. I think I’ll accept your recommendations!!

have a good weekend all.

blamo likes this.
  17. Barry in IN

Barry in IN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    I have a 3” RB 65 and a 4” 65. I have owned two other 3” 65s over the past 25 years. A friend has had a 3” RB model 13 since long before that, which I’ve shot some and envied more. So as you can see, I have spent some time with them and I like them. I like them a lot.

I also have a 3” Kimber K6s. I’ve only had it for a little over a year, so don’t have near the familiarity with it. I like it too. I like it a lot.

Despite both being 3” .357s, they don’t serve quite the same purpose for me. The Kimber carries and conceals (a little) easier. The 3” 65 is (a little) easier to shoot. I’ll choose shootability over concealability, but I don’t always get the choice.

If I were you, I’d keep the 65. They shouldn’t be scarce, but are getting harder to find since people won’t let go of them. They sell for a lot, and bring more all the time. What I’m saying is, it would be awful hard to replace. Kimbers are around.

However...
    Don’t forget about the Kimber. They are neat little revolvers. You should try one when you can.

Most don’t like the Kimber’s looks, and some compare them to a problematic Kimber 1911 they’ve had or have known, but if you judge the K6s on its own merits, I think you’ll like it. The triggers are great. The sights are great. It’s smooth and snag-free. The fact they got six rounds into a .357 that size is amazing.

That’s a long way of saying keep the 65, but get a Kimber when you can.

18. Barry in IN

Barry in IN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    Oh yeah,
    The K6s reliability/dependability seems to be really good. The only trouble I’ve heard of is some firing pin breakages in early guns. That’s supposedly taken care of. I’ve been listening locally and watching online for any trouble there and haven’t seen any since I got mine.

I’ve heard they don’t use MIM parts in the revolvers. I can’t verify that either way, but none of the parts in mine have the look of MIM. They’re pretty easy to spot in their 1911s.

Honestly, being a new design, I expected a serious flaw or two. I’m not seeing that. They’ve been around long enough now it would be well known if there were any.

19. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Smith & Wesson 3” M65 all day long. Certainly not bashing Kimber, but your S&W is only increasing in value. Hang on to it, or sell it to me :)

LEO918 likes this.
  20. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    As a rule I'm a Kimber fan except for the K6 revolver. Checked them out with money in pocket, kept money in pocket, I didn't like the way it felt in my hand plus I already had several Smith's that could perform the same job.
    Like others stated carry/keep the Smith and buy a K6 if you feel the urge.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted