1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forums and just looking for a little help.

I recently bought a 1911 and im having a hard time figuring out exactly what i have here. Its a NM serial number, but almost every GI model (assuming i have a GI model at this point) all seem to have a parkerized finish. Mine has glossy blued finish. Im trying to determine if this was ever an option and it would be awesome if anyone could tell me about how old this thing may be? Thanks in advance. .
IMG_0162[1].JPG

I picked it up for 360.00 . . from what i can tell it should be worth at least 500.00 so it feels like i got a decent deal either way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow fast reply :) thanks for taking the time to read

and yea. . . its really odd. i dont know if this is custom work. or maybe this was an option that was available through their custom shop? I have yet to call SA. But i will ring them up when i get a chance and see what info they can give me off that serial number.

Another odd thing is that most 5 digit NM serial numbers start with 99XXX . . . this is the only one ive seen so far that start in the 2xxxx's. May be an indication that its a late 80's model or something? i dunno

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
NM preceding the serial number does not stand for "National Match", there is an explanation of what they mean here somewhere. Basically one letter stands for where the gun was forged and the other stands for being built in the U.S.,,,as I remember it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, from what i understand it basically means the gun was fully assembled, tuned, and test fired in the US and not in Brazil

@Jim w. thanks. . i think i improperly used the term "GI model" . . . probably should have said mil spec

the more i dig the more it seems to be a really early model based on the low profile front site

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
yes, from what i understand it basically means the gun was fully assembled, tuned, and test fired in the US and not in Brazil

@Jim w. thanks. . i think i improperly used the term "GI model" . . . probably should have said mil spec

the more i dig the more it seems to be a really early model based on the low profile front site

What I found awhile back when I was doing some research,

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/springfield-armorys-1911-serial-number-prefix.3/

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Good buy for the price and forged frame and slide and US all the way!

Reactions: Floridaman

·
Registered
823 Posts
In the first run in the 80's these were available in both dull finish or bright blue.
The bright polished blue were around $25 dollars more at around $400.
(A Colt's Gold Cup was around $600)
NM meant assembled in the US.
It probably has the two piece barrel.
Mine has the dull finish Parked or bead blasted blue I'm not sure.
It was used in lots of pistol games and has been modified quite a bit but the barrel is original and has been a good shooter for it's intended purpose.

I would love to have an original blued, fixed sight version.

Smiles,

Reactions: Floridaman

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the first run in the 80's these were available in both dull finish or bright blue.
The bright polished blue were around $25 dollars more at around $400.
(A Colt's Gold Cup was around $600)
NM meant assembled in the US.
It probably has the two piece barrel.
Mine has the dull finish Parked or bead blasted blue I'm not sure.
It was used in lots of pistol games and has been modified quite a bit but the barrel is original and has been a good shooter for it's intended purpose.

I would love to have an original blued, fixed sight version.

Smiles,
i will be headed to the range tomorrow to shoot it for the first time. when i get back and have it all field stripped i will take pictures of the internals and post it. thanks for the info, it helps confirm my suspisions that its probably a early 1980's model.

i never sell any of my firearms. but if i was to sell it, do you know what the value would be on one of these?

Good buy on the blaster. $360 is very good. My understanding is also that the pistol was put together in the U.S.
yes. i hear there was never any problems with the ones assembled in Brazil. . but from what i understand the US ones were more desirable and many people has debated that the construction is slightly better. . im feeling pretty good about my impulse buy so far :)

i really do appreciate everyone chiming in. this seems to be a great forum.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My box looks about the same from mine.
Bought used at a local GS a couple of years ago.
Best 400.00 gun I've bought!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts