1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
We Are!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
99 Posts
I actually emailed Springfield a little while back with regards to this piece. I was told that this is supposed to slot in between the TRP and full custom. Similar to the Warren Operators that were offered awhile back.
Has
- “select fit slide & frame”
- “same barrel as TRP”
- “tool steel action components of the full custom handguns”
- 25 lpi checkering
- 14k front sight, SAC tactical rear sight
- Ball cut slide
- Master class barrel bushing
- Melonite finish

By the sound of it, it isn’t necessary a true custom shop piece like the Pro models with the hard fit frame, barrel, ect but since it isn’t a production piece it’s quite possible that it was put together in the custom shop. How much “custom” work I can’t attest to. From the specs it sounds like perhaps the barrel bushing, checking, and maybe a trigger job?

BBP a sponsor/vendor on the forum had got a couple in and he said that he was less then impressed with the fit of them and sent them back to his distributor.

I was very intrigued when these came out but personally haven’t bit the bullet on one yet. I like the specs and it’s subtle aesthetics but it is a lot of money and I didn’t want to drop that much on an unknown quantity. I hope this was helpful to you. If you do end up with one please be sure to post a review.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,526 Posts
Beyond the Mil Spec (of which I have two) and my Combat Operator (which will actually belong to my daughter one of these days) SA does not make a 1911 that I find interesting. I'm not surprised that BBP found quality issues with them.

OP, if you get one, I hope it is everything you expect.

·
We Are!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, all! A mention of them caught my attention on another forum. They are intriguing yet, as some of you have mentioned, the coin is a little high.

Many thanks for the input and feedback and, indeed, if I do ultimately snag one I’ll post the findings!

Reactions: cgff

·
Registered
476 Posts
I dont own one of these, but do own the silent operator..... I have owned everything SA has to to offer...to inlcude a pro, warren tactical and nearly half a dozen custom carrys. The silent operator has a great fit/finish to it, one that i would say is between my custom carrys and my warren tactical. I spoke to deb several weeks back about the build process and she advised me that they were built in the custom shop, (although not custom shop guns) and the silent operators actually have hand fit barrel...something I didnt know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got one from Bud’s gun shop in Lexington. It is a great value for its cost. I paid around $1650.

My only complaint, and a minor one, is the fit of the grip safety. It is better than a typical production gun, but not fitted as tight as a true custom-level gun. But as already pointed out, it is not a true custom pistol. I think the wonderful smiths on this forum have set such a high bar for what a fitted grip safety should look like that it has created some unrealistic expectations. For a gun at this price point, SA cannot afford to spend hours blending a seamless grip safety.

The rest of it does have almost a custom-level feel to it.

BTW: the ejector is pinned.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I got one from Bud’s gun shop in Lexington. It is a great value for its cost. I paid around $1650.

My only complaint, and a minor one, is the fit of the grip safety. It is better than a typical production gun, but not fitted as tight as a true custom-level gun. But as already pointed out, it is not a true custom pistol. I think the wonderful smiths on this forum have set such a high bar for what a fitted grip safety should look like that it has created some unrealistic expectations. For a gun at this price point, SA cannot afford to spend hours blending a seamless grip safety.

^This^ great info thank you.

Also wish there was more info on these, I really like the way there configured.
Being Priced were The TRPs were quite some time ago, (1579.00) If they shoot & run like most TRPs There probably not a bad pistol. I read BBPs awhile back which had me hesitant to purchase one sight unseen. Especially with pricing at full MSRP. At 1579.00 if there between a PRO and a TRP, Quality wise These should be sweet,

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

We need pics?

·
We Are!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find myself at once both wanting a picture because “I want to know,” and not wanting a picture because I’m really trying to convince myself to rein-in my purchases LOL.

Seriously, @hatchettg, thank you - that’s a great-looking 1911.

·
We Are!
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@hatchettg I just thought of one perhaps silly question - does the Aficionado have the “lock” / ILS, or no?

I may be WAY behind the times in asking this - SA may not put the ILS on their 1911s these days at all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts