close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SA Micro Compact Loaded Lightweight (PX9801LP)

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Melter942, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Melter942

Melter942 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Hi, my name is Joe and I'm a 1911 addict... I have track marks to prove it!

IMG_0310.jpg

I took my new Micro Compact .45 to the range today, determined to get 200 rounds through it. Well, I painfully made it through 100 rounds, but too many spent cases were dinging my forehead... and by the last 20 rounds, I realized that my attempt to prove to myself how tough I am, proved only how dumb (or addicted) I really am!!!

I will say, it was shooting straight and tight. PMC Bronze 230g FMJ cycled flawlessly and the target below was typical of 6 rounds at 10 yards.

IMG_0311.JPG

I have visions of modifying both the Micro .45 and the EMP with similar options so they're a matched set. I guess the Micro's mods will be first... SA will cover the shipping to fix the ejection issue and while it's there...

DSC04967.jpg

2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Welcome aboard. If you can dodge brass (and traffic) you can dodge a ball.

3. Lama

Lama Member

Sep 5, 2011
    My new SA micro did the same thing, and with the same bleeding results. I installed Wolff 21 lb. recoil spring setup from a Colt Defender, now it ejects out the side. Also, if you ever decide to get 7-round mags for the Micro .45, get only Kimber TacPro, I could not get anything else to work.

For now, wear a baseball cap.

4. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    The Micro actually looks a tad smaller than the emp, is it really? I know that we have a thread here stating that there may be a release of a .45 emp, but I'll bet it's actually the Micro, just mistaken identity. The brass I would imagine is very distracting. I've had a spent case once fly over my glasses and get stuck between my glasses and my eye lid, that hurt! My emp is an edc for me, and it's extremely reliable and accurate. I've had a few tweaks here and there from the custom shop. I plan on 1 more trip in the future, thats it..finished finally! Please keep us all posted on your progress sending it in, SA's usually pretty good about getting the bugs out..

5. Melter942

Sep 22, 2011
    [/QUOTE]For now, wear a baseball cap.[/QUOTE]

:rofl2:

[/QUOTE]The Micro actually looks a tad smaller than the emp, is it really? I know that we have a thread here stating that there may be a release of a .45 emp, but I'll bet it's actually the Micro, just mistaken identity.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to get the calipers out, but from casual observence, they're the same size except for the grip frame. The EMP frame was one of the 15 re-engineered parts designed to handle the shorter 9mm & .40 rounds.

Since the Micro .45's grip frame is a compact .45, it's considerably wider than the EMP's grip. I think the width makes it look shorter.

When I get home this evening, I'll measure the two side-by-side.

I did notice however, that the Springfield Armory catalog lists the Micro .45 weight at 26 ounces and the 9mm EMP at 27 ounces.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    It's probably just the photo that makes it look a tad smaller...How many rounds does the Micro hold to include one in the pipe? The only compact I've shot in .45 was a friends Colt Defender, actually the recoil was less than I had expected.

How long have you had your emp, I see it's a more recent build (ball end cuts on slide)

7. Melter942

Sep 22, 2011
    Micro .45 capacity is 6 + 1.

Bought the EMP on August 27... yep, it's a new one. So far, 600 flawless rounds. 400 more and it will have earned a spot in the EDC rotation.

BTW... got a new Stainless Steel TRP on July 30. I just noticed my new end-of-month habit... 1911 addict, you say???

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I can loan you a cap.. Ron

9. Lama

Lama Member

Sep 5, 2011
    The .45 Micro holds 8 TOTAL, 7 in mag (using an aftermarket 7 round mag) and 1 in the hole.

I was not joking about the baseball cap....at the range. I resorted to using one during the break-in/tuning/fixing process. If not I would have been bloodied worse than Melter.

I almost questioned why I spent $900 on a gun that ran so poorly, but after some nice fine tuning, and a few mods, and some KimberPro mags, she runs 100% reliable and zings the spent brass directly out of the slide.

Mine was also shooting LOW, much like the OP's target. I had to ditch the SA installed .325 rear sight in favor of a .375 height 10-8 sight. She's a tackdriver now. I get the feeling SA installs the .325 to "compact" the gun even further, without thought of the POA.

The .45 Micro is LARGER than an EMP, in a few dimentions, but laying side by side, they look identical. The grip area is the biggest difference, the .45 is wider in all aspects.

It is a great gun once it is broken in and tuned for the JHP load you want to run.

I HIGHLY suggest Remington Golden Saber 185 grain JHP for the Micro .45.

10. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    That sucks... I had a Kahr PM45 that sent every piece of brass flying directly into my face and forehead. 3 trips to the factory and they could never fix it.

11. deadguy

deadguy Jerry Lewis Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Lmao Patches...

12. Melter942

Sep 22, 2011
    Lama, thanks for the heads-up. The 10-8 rear sight is on my list of mods when I send it back to SACS. I now know to specifically request the .375 sight.

13. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Melter942, can I borrow your pic for a comparison shot of the emp and the micro?

14. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Your picture actually made me laugh. Thanks I needed that...

15. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    What do you figure that really cost to make about $250.00 ..?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted