1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it 12/31/19 from a fellow addict.
Has a bunch of nice upgrades and Harrison ignition set in it.
Adjusted sear spring to suit my trigger preferences and Extractor. "dash" said it would need some work, said some empties were hitting him in the head! Adjusted and stoned and polished extractor. Filed and stoned ejector and put a mag well on for USPSA Single Stack division. Pinned grip safety and a little semi clear grip tape on grips for some support hand traction.
Gun Firearm Trigger White Line

Ran 140+ rounds through it. Ran perfect. 2 1/2 " accuracy rested from my range bag at 25yds. with one of my favorite handloads. Weather was cold with light wet snow falling.

Real happy with the purchase!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and the experience was great on my end as well!
I'm enjoying it so far and see no reason why it won't keep making me smile when I shoot it for fun range time, practice and matches in the future!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So now I have about 800 more rounds through the SA "USA" (my new name for it)
No failures of any kind to date.
Shoots well with any bullet from 124 FMJ or TC jacketed, 125,145 and 160gr Hytek coated Bayou's
Added a Wilson mag release with a shortened paddle. It make weight easily for USPSA SS division. This pistol has been a pleasure to own to date.
Hard to beat the SA forged framed guns especially with good quality up grades. No not a custom hand fitted 1911, but really nice for well under a grand.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shot a USPSA match yesterday and getting old and slow sucks but enjoyed being there with all the other shooters and such.
Shot another gun BUT I was wishing I had shot this one during the match. Not a good mind game to play with yourself when competing.
SA USA is still running great and has proven itself to be reliable and accurate.

·
Premium Member
17,751 Posts
Got it 12/31/19 from a fellow addict.
Has a bunch of nice upgrades and Harrison ignition set in it.
Adjusted sear spring to suit my trigger preferences and Extractor. "dash" said it would need some work, said some empties were hitting him in the head! Adjusted and stoned and polished extractor. Filed and stoned ejector and put a mag well on for USPSA Single Stack division. Pinned grip safety and a little semi clear grip tape on grips for some support hand traction. View attachment 387325

Ran 140+ rounds through it. Ran perfect. 2 1/2 " accuracy rested from my range bag at 25yds. with one of my favorite handloads. Weather was cold with light wet snow falling.

Real happy with the purchase!
Just bought a Champion 4-6 weeks ago. Pleased as punch with it and burning a lot of rounds through it as weather permits. Next purchase will be a 5" 9mm operator. This from a guy that hadn't owned a 9mm in 42 years.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I understand the no 9's for years.
Owned a SW 59 back in the 70's sold it for a 1911 Commander and it's been 45's and 1911's for ever so to speak.
then about 10 years ago bought a DW PM-9 and seems like the 9mm addiction has grown since then.

·
Premium Member
17,751 Posts
Yeah I understand the no 9's for years.
Owned a SW 59 back in the 70's sold it for a 1911 Commander and it's been 45's and 1911's for ever so to speak.
then about 10 years ago bought a DW PM-9 and seems like the 9mm addiction has grown since then.
When I went PD, we were stuck with 59s and first gen Silvertips. Couple of OISs and we dumped the 59s for series 80 Colts in 45acp. Winchester reformulated the Silvertips after some bad performance

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gun is still running great. Glad there is an indoor range at my club with the cold weather.
BUT I hate shooting inside, harder to see the front sight, even with FO.
One of the 18 competition mags I have for it Kur-Chunks when it feeds the first 3 rounds but still feeds them. Got new spring and followers coming to do some maintenance on the mags.

Shot 124/5 , 145/7 and some 160's out of it both Hytek coated lead and different jacketed profiles. I and gun seem to like it with 124/5 bullets the best. Just for fun: shot it like a bullseye gun at 25yds. One handed is definitely not my cup of tea, I've got a lot of respect for those guys and their ability shooting one handed. The gun shot well and I was happy with the groups. For me it's a mind game of not snatching the trigger. Just keep pressing it Neil!!!!

Still very happy with the under a grand pistol. I built one at the same time I got this and honestly other than aesthetics it's just as functional as the one I build. Not as tight or as smooth but it's accurate and reliable. I've got more in the cost of parts on the one I built than what I paid for this one. Springfield does a nice job on their forged pistols.

·
Premium Member
17,751 Posts
Shot 124/5 , 145/7 and some 160's out of it both Hytek coated lead and different jacketed profiles.
Since I've never seen the terms 124/5, 145/7, I can understand 124 or 145 grain... but what's the second figure? I'm staying at around 147 with various profiles, except special ammo. I still have Black Talons and Critical Duty, I don't remember what the weight of the bullet is, I know where it shoots.

Still very happy with the under a grand pistol. I built one at the same time I got this and honestly other than aesthetics it's just as functional as the one I build. Not as tight or as smooth but it's accurate and reliable. I've got more in the cost of parts on the one I built than what I paid for this one. Springfield does a nice job on their forged pistols.
I'm an OLD Springfield buyer, starting back before Bob Reese bought the company and turned it into SAI. Bob was a good guy... Dennis... not so much.

Bought a SAI Combat Commander back in the late 90s since my brother would return my tuned series 70 LWC... I liked it. Now it's 9mm (Champion) and asap a 9mm Operator, however I do note where they cut costs from time to time if you watch the pistols closely. Doesn't upset me... but Bob wouldn't have done it.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
124grain or 125grain bullets
145 grain and 147grain bullets
All are available through different component suppliers for reloading that I deal with.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Didn't throw it in a frozen mud puddle first but shot it in 9 degree weather!
Let it sit while I shot a few others, including my new build. After about 20 minutes I figured it normalized to the temp. Loaded it and shot it weak hand with a light glove on. doing the 10-8 test. Load it mag out shoot repeat for the full mag. function was perfect.
Shot 6 mags after that and said that's enough.
Really getting quite fond of this pistol!

Reactions: Dub

·
Premium Member
17,751 Posts
Didn't through it in a frozen mud puddle first but shot it in 9 degree weather!
Let it sit while I shoot a few others, including my new build. After about 20 minutes I figured it normalized to the temp. Loaded it and shot it weak hand with a light glove on. doing the 10-8 test. Load it mag out shoot repeat for the full mag. function was perfect.
Shot 6 mags after that and said that's enough.
Really getting quite fond of this pistol!
6 mags? That's a warm up. Come out and shoot with me!

Glad to see you're enjoying it. Love my Champion even with the alloy frame and non-bushing barrel.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to go full "snowflake" and move back to Texas!
I hate the cold and gray skies here.
But some how the grand kids are worth it!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ran it over the chrono with my go to reload, that I use in all my 9's .
It ran 132 PF so GTG for uspsa matches, SD 9 wih 20 rounds over the chrono.
And it's what I've been shooting in it mostly, shot some 2" groups at 25yds rested.

Regularly puts them in the size of a bottom of a soda can. so figure 21/2-3" off hand with an occasional flyer that is on me.

Getting more used to the alum "flag grips". They suck outside this time of year, they're cold!!!
Though I do really enjoy the way they look, God bless America!

Reactions: Fred_G

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got that one in a trade with another member
Techwell made the set, grips and magwell, last year I think but don't see them on their website any longer.
Might be worth a call to see if they have any left and just took them off the site etc!

Reactions: Bully
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.