Safe interior customization?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by FWoo45, Sep 29, 2020.

1. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Got a new safe. The interior of my old safe is falling apart. This looks destined to do the same, plus I'm not thrilled with having to take out a bunch of guns to get to the one(s) I want. This is the new box. 20200927_174605.jpg
    Thinking of adding another layer of 5/8" sheetrock and then lining it with laminate flooring. Would give me something slightly more substantial to screw into for holding up shelving. I'm thinking about having a new horizontal piece water jet cut out of UHMW with 3 U shaped areas with the appropriate inlets for long guns, then tighter shelves up top. There is enough space between the safe (because of the stem wall) and the sheet rock on the wall that I can thread a cord through. Rope lights and a goldenrod seem like the best options for lighting and dehumidification. I've tried some crappy battery powered lights and the rechargeable desiccants before in the safe inside. Being in the garage, I'm more concerned about humidity. Been through the thread on this topic over on the hide but thought that I would ask here. Anyone modify their safe interiors? Suggestions or advice? Thanks for you time.

simonp and Dub like this.
  2. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I added motion-activated LED strip lighting, copied the idea from Twanganbang’s YouTube video. Very simple and effective.

IMG_9784.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. random84

random84 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    I have the light strip - it works ok but feels dim for larger safes. And the brighter your room lighting, the dimmer yet it feels due to shadows.

Also if you have carpet lining the adhesive doesn't stick - i used staples into the sheet rock.

As for the upper shelf, I kept the original saggy shelf and reinforced it with a 2x4 underneath- with magnet strips under that - to keep it rigid and hang mags, etc off of.

I also added harbor frieght magnetic strips to the door in strategic places for more mags (you have to plan ahead so they don't hit the shelves when you close the door).

As for rifles, I've never really found a great way to have high volume and accessible storage. I have rifles on one side in the traditional manner, then I made a rack on the left under shelves for the much shorter AR pistols. Above the AR pistols, I have a half-width shelf for pistols and accessories.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dub likes this.
  4. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I'll second the LED lighting very inexpensive, functional and very bright. Personally I think the laminate is a better option all the way around as opposed to any drywall. Drywall is dusty, dirty, gritty, and is less resilient when attaching stuff to it if nothing behind to attach to. You can place carpet squares on to the laminate and tack in place or glue in place and it will be much more durable. The pre-padded laminate makes for a good moisture barrier as well. And you can use contact cement to attach it to the metal of the safe.. Speaking from a construction background here not a safe rehab background though. Be good to listen to guys that have experience with that over me for sure. But, I do know there are benefits to using the laminate over the drywall as a backer. The contact cement can be a tad messy but, if you take your time and use it correctly there is nothing that will hold better and hold up to any moisture as well.

FWoo45 likes this.
  6. random84

random84 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2020
    Drywall is an effective insulation and fire retardant, which is why its used. If you want fire protection, drywall has its place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Integrity Arms likes this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I can see where the green and or purple board would work just seems messy to me. I have done a ton of drywall in my life time and honestly don't care if I ever work with it again. Probably the biggest reason I'd stay away from it.. lol And I know it's a good fire retardant and moisture barrier.. It really just sucks hanging stuff on it without a good solid backing behind it.

I was under the impression that most firearms safes come with a fire rating of several hours. Might not be true of some older models maybe..

8. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Not sure how i forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder.

There is already sheetrock under the fabric in this thing so I'm thinking that maybe another layer of 1/2" or 5/8" screwed to the existing on the top and sides would only add to the 75 min fire rating and give me something better to glue the laminate flooring to. I'm only putting in the laminate for looks and maybe make it a little stouter for shelf mounting. The led kit is going to be a must. I really like the motion sensor idea.

Dub likes this.
  9. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    My wife just mentioned that I should be needing to upgrade my safe :kiss:

"Ya know honey, I think you're right! "

River runner, Dub and FWoo45 like this.
  10. goodguywithagun

goodguywithagun Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 30, 2016
    We knew your Wife was a keeper after the M1 Garand ! Didn’t She buy you one?

Dub likes this.
  11. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    That was @fallenangelhim . He's a lucky guy too.:thumbs:

FWoo45, goodguywithagun and Dub like this.
  12. goodguywithagun

goodguywithagun Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 30, 2016
    Ah, Senior moment. Do those happen at 50? Coulda been the bourbon too.

I have these lights in my safe. The motion detector option is great. When you reach in the lights go on. You can then set the “on”duration.
    Double sided tape has held mine in place for several years now.

6pcs Motion Activated LED Under... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FDAFC3Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

FWoo45 and livinthelife like this.
  13. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    This is the kit I got, thanks for the recommendation. It works awesome so far. Works way better than the battery powered options that I've tried in my house safe. Got em, the goldenrod and a powerstrip mounted and wired up. Still have to secure the wires for the lights. I've decided (I think) that I want to build either a couple of lazy Susan's (easier but less capacity) or a few slide out racks (harder, more capacity) for long guns with shelves above, for both safes. Between the two I really, probably have enough door storage for handguns but have thought that maybe I should make either a lazy susan or a slide out rack for handguns. Im leaning towards the lazy susan idea because it would be pretty easy, cheaper, and I would definitely have to enlist my old man's help if I want sliding racks. Those would have to be bolted down to the safe mounting bolts i assume so they wouldn't tip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZD31Z5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_uC9HFb257EYPY

1k # capacity, all four that I would need for under $40 looks pretty good.

This is how it looks tonight. Great lights.
    20201014_214345.jpg

Dub and goodguywithagun like this.
  14. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I guess I should upgrade from my little collection of shoeboxes. Well not all. Some are under my pillow.

Dub and FWoo45 like this.
  15. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Only after you properly account for your fridge gun, shower/porcelain throne gun, and couch gun. Sounds like you've got the under pillow arsenal covered.

Dub and Ethanol Red like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted