Sailor 1911

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Scaramouche, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I know fine writing instruments are one of those categories that our current technology has made more or less redundant, kind of like almost our beloved 1911 pistol, there are quicker less expensive ways to deliver more hits on target, just like there are faster, less cumbersome ways to deliver a written message to someone by not using a fine fountain pen.

Like what happened to the Swiss watch making industry when Casio brought out a simple battery powered mechanism that could keep time on your wrist for two bucks. And gave pretty good time. The art of writing will soon vanish, they don't teach hand writing in school no more.

But if you have a loved one in the Navy who shoots a 1911 and your shopping for Christmas I can't think of a cooler gift.

fpn_1356031292__sailor_1911_music_stub_2_1024x760.jpg

Sailor pens began production in 1911 when, as the story goes, Mr. Kyugoro Sakata was introduced to his first fountain pen by a Japanese or English sailor friend. Mr. Sakata was an engineer living in the naval city of Hiroshima and thought he could build a better mouse trap and launched his pen company, first as "Sakata-Manufactory" and then around 1917 changed the name to "Sailor Pen Sakata-Manufactory".

history1-panorama.jpg

Mr. Sakata on left. The place the rubber meets the road in fountain pens is the nib and it was/is the place Sailor pens always focused their efforts. Even today when fine top notch pens are compared Sailor is usually in the top three world wide.

2013-04-18-00.24.10.jpg

The 1911 comes with either a 14K gold or, as in the picture above shows, a 21K gold nib. The etched "875" below the 21K marking on this nib indicates 87.5 gold content found in 21K gold. The 1911 comes in three sizes; the Standard (aka The Profit), Large and the King of Pens (aka K.O.P) with it's king size pricing.

Sailor pens run in cost from $10 to many thousand dollars. The 1911s come in non descript cigar shaped plastic bodies that feel great in hand. They are renown amongst collectors for their use of precious wood pens and highly detailed decorations using the traditional Japanese techniques such as Maki-E lacquers.

sailor_maki_ducks_1.jpg

So the price is up to you for that 1911 shooting swabbie. And for those of you landlubbers I'd say this is a pretty cool pen if you still use pens and shoot 1911s.

IMG_1160.JPG

history2-1-panorama.jpg

1911_08.jpg

2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015

3. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  4. livinthelife

livinthelife Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Growing up I loved the writing styles capable with these. But I'm left handed, so my first attemp turned out to be a big ink smear. Perhaps the quality of paper may help, but I gave up.
    My grandmother had beautiful script. She could write left or right handed, or both at the same time. Thanks for jogging my memory @Scaramouche.

wcanterbury, Kip and limbkiller like this.
  5. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Interesting post scaramouche! When I was in sixth grade we were actually required to write with a fountain pen. I thought it was great. They were cheap and had little cartridges of ink you loaded into them. But writing with required some skill and confidence. Any hesitation was rewarded with a large blot in part due to the cheap paper. My mother, god bless her had another perspective. She graduated from what was called business college. She did all things clerical. She worked as a clerical supervisor for ohio bell telephone working with lawyers and other clerks on rate cases. Thousands of shorthand pages and then typing. Revision after revision! Ink well after ink well! Splotch after splotch lol! God love her she couldn’t understand why anyone would make children or anyone else use a fountain pen when you could use a ball point! She was not normally a complainer, but she considered this simple foolishness! Makes me smile to remember it. Thanks again for the prompt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I remember using fountain pens in grade school :)

livinthelife and limbkiller like this.
  7. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    I remember using cartridge ink pens in Jr. high, 1972-1974 kind of messy but I liked them and rarely blotched. I used very specialized pens when I took cartography in college. They both led to thought about what you were doing before you did the deed.

I use an ink gel pen now because it suites me best for work and I like the way it writes. I almost bought a Mount Blanc back in the days when I was full of myself.

I wear a Casio digital watch because it again suites my work where many things must be timed...but it will never replace my favorite time piece!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1903 Waltham, 23J, 14K Hunter Case engraved, Damascene movement SW/ LS. The blue and 14K Gold Heavy chain along with a $20 Gold piece fob! Got to love the high end old stuff!

GoetzTalon, gps man, Fred_G and 2 others like this.
  8. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I have a Montblanc fountain pen. Writes like a dream

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted