Samsung Photo Download to Microsoft?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Colorado Sonny, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Samsung and Microsoft used to work together downloading photos. Now they don't even recognize each other.

Anybody got any answers out there for this BS?

Sonny

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I back up my photos using OneDrive (was using Google Photo for a while). OneDrive is available for all major platforms. Then when I'm on my notebook (laptop) computer, I just pull them from the OneDrive cloud as needed.

I have a Samsung Note, which I'm very happy with. But I don't use Samsung cloud, or rely on Samsung apps for backup or photo sharing.

If you just need to do a one off share of a photo, you might also try blue tooth file sharing.

wcanterbury likes this.

3. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Go to settings on your phone after plugging into your computer.

find the USB icon then select File Transfer.

wcanterbury likes this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

Check the Android build version. Due to some security issues, a lot of apps will no longer work with Android 5.2 or earlier. My phone is Android 6.0 and has no issues. My tablet is Android 4.5 and has lost functionality with certain apps over time.

It is difficult to manually upgrade a version of Android that is not supported by the manufacturer. It could be that the old hardware will not support the newer operating system.

Find a device that comes with Android 6.0 or newer and you should be good to go.

This security change that disables certain apps happened around April of 2018.

Z

wcanterbury likes this.
  5. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    The security app seems to be the culprit as the last photos I was able to upload were in April 2018!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  6. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Bingo

Try Googleing the following:

"Rootkit Android 6 on to <your device>"

Put the name of your tablet or phone where your device is.

You should be able to get hack information on how to get Android 6 on to your device, or find out if your device will run it.

I probably need to do this exact thing with my old tablet. I only use it these days for watching videos I rip from Redbox DVD's.

It would be good practice. Haven't done it in years.

7. Colorado Sonny

Sep 25, 2015
    Okay. This is my work phone and I am a little paranoid about doing things without knowing the consequences! Just saying. :)

I am running Android 6.0.1

8. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    If you are already running Android 6.x, it's more than likely a glitch buried DEEP in your "permissions".

When they (Android) rolled out that security patch, if you didn't automatically click "accept" on everything, some permission to access your photos deep in Android is turned off, meaning no uploads.

That happened to me with my contacts. Something asked if it could access my contacts. I said NO. At that point, the native contact app on this phone ceased to working. I haven't been able to find where to turn it back on and restore the functionality of that app.

I am guessing you said NO to something that wanted access to your photos, probably back in April sometime.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the EULA for Android 6 it says, "if you deny any permissions for us to grab your data, whatever data that may be, you lose all functionality of any app that accesses that data."

But then, I've always been paranoid too . . .

Z

wcanterbury likes this.
  9. danc1996

danc1996 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2016
    ^^ this. This is pretty much spot on. They want all of your apps and permissions turned on. Since you can't easily make them on or off in the settings if you accidently deny an app access to something it will likely deny access as a default now. They just want all of you data at all times. Not sure if you called Samsung if they could even help you out either. Might have to wait for a new update or restore the old version if you can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

10. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Which means the "security update" has nothing to do with security at all.

"Forced compliance to give up all rights to privacy or the product we sold you becomes worthless (non-functional)."

And you thought the government was bad.

Unfortunately, our legislature is too ignorant to understand the technology to "protect" us. The American people keep voting dumber and dumber representatives into office (especially the blue districts). They don't know or understand the Constitution. How can they possibly understand this level of technological infringement.

Sounds like an "anti-secure" update to me.

wcanterbury likes this.
  11. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    My local "Best Buy" retail outlet...has Samsung techs on the retail floor - to deal with this kind of stuff on their branded phones, tablets, etc.../ they have helped me out on a number of issues on my Note 5 phone - when updates fouled things up..../ they are quick & free !! ...

danc1996, wcanterbury and ZoidMeister like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted