SASS Wild Bunch, so much fun

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by LPRoad, Dec 17, 2018.

1. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    So I've gotten involved in SASS (Single Action Shooting Society). They offer a type of competition called Wild Bunch (based off the movie of the same name) which stars the 1911 pistol. There is both a traditional class which has one handed shooting, and very limited gun modifications, and modern class which allows a 2 handed grip and a few more pistol mods. I chose traditional because that's what the top dogs are competing in (not that I am any challenge to THEM, but I do like to challenge myself)

I took a couple of pics during yesterday's shoot. The old guy in the red shirt is "Tex", he is one of the original SASS founders and at 70 something years old is still tearing it up. The other guy is "Mica". He is the top shooter in the club I joined (Rio Grande Renegades) and has both state and natl titles under his belt. He's the one I'm chasing (from far behind at this point :D)

These shoots are a real hoot, folks are super friendly and they mix up the courses of fire each time, so your old brain gets a work-out too.
    IMGP2417 (3).JPG IMGP2418.JPG IMGP2420.JPG IMGP2421.JPG IMGP2423 (2).JPG

simonp, gaijin, ORShooter and 12 others like this.
  2. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Nice write up and photos. I would love to be able to give that a try. Nothing in my area that I am aware of, though.

LPRoad likes this.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    SASS (or I think it's SASS) has that Winter Range Natl Championship thing coming up in February down at the Ben Avery facility in Arizona. Attended one time as an observer, looked like a good time. Those folks have some awesome skills with a single action revolver and lever guns. Pretty darn cool, thanks for the great post.

simonp, wcanterbury, gps man and 2 others like this.
  4. 1911mechanik

1911mechanik Christ is my front sight.

Apr 29, 2016
    Shot Wild Bunch a bit myself around these parts when it was hot. It's slowed down some but it sure was lots of fun while we had it! Enjoy!

wcanterbury and LPRoad like this.
  5. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    Yeah, I thought about hauling myself out to AZ for that, but decided to wait for the End of the Trail worlds that is held at Founders Ranch just east of Albuquerque in June. I guess it is quite the extravaganza :)

wcanterbury and Scaramouche like this.
  6. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Never heard of it, I'll check it out. thanks...hoping it's dates don't conflict with the Limbkiller-kabalooza

wcanterbury and limbkiller like this.
  7. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    wcanterbury and Scaramouche like this.
  8. blue steel 55

blue steel 55 Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2015
    I was a SASS shooter for better than 15 years. A shooting accident and 2 knee replacements kinda put a lid on the sport for me. It's a blast!

wcanterbury, Scaramouche and LPRoad like this.
  9. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Looks like fun. I've thought about trying it several times. Maybe I should.

wcanterbury and LPRoad like this.
  10. LPRoad

Mar 16, 2015
    It IS fun. If you have a local club show, up for one of their shoots. When I did, I had guys offering to let me shoot with their gear and patiently answering all my rookie questions. It was the people that really sold me on the fun of playing cowboy with real bullets :D

11. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I love me some 1911’s, single action revolvers, lever guns and old shotguns.

Great write up!

I’m going to give that try one of these days.

wcanterbury, Scaramouche and LPRoad like this.
  12. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Looks like fun!

LPRoad likes this.
  13. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    It is a lot of fun! Sometimes the instructions got a little complex and hard to remember.

Being one who was raised as a target shooter, getting used to popping steel targets as fast as possible was a huge adjustment to make.

The local club was about 25 miles away to the west and they always met on Sunday morning which was a no go for me as I was in church. Now there is a group that shoots cowboy action on Saturdays about 25 miles to the east. Maybe I will give it another try.

LPRoad and Scaramouche like this.
  14. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    CAS started just about three miles from where I grew up in California. Some call it Orange, CA locals refer to it as Olive, CA.

gps man and simonp like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted