1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

For some reason, the rear sight on my Springer Loaded 9mm just got loose. Not loose enough that I can easily push it out, but it does slide back and forth with a little stout pushing.

So there is this elevation screw in the top of the slide. I am thinking (dangerous when I do that) that if I possibly remove this screw, I will find a hidden set screw that I can torque down to get this rear sight to behave.

But looking at the screw head and that little 'detent' post adjacent it, makes me think that once I take this thing apart, 'all the kings horses and all the kings men . . . . . '

So, has anyone disassembled one of these and found it next to impossible to reassemble? I think I have read something about this years ago, but I could not find the thread.

What say the combined intelligentsia of the Addicts? Dissasemble, or not?

Thanks in advance.

Z

SA sight issue -01.JPG

To the right . . . .

SA sight issue -02.JPG

To the left . . . . .

SA sight issue -03.JPG

Pandora's screw . . . . .

·
MP Custom
385 Posts
Zoid,

Press down on the blade and remove adjustment screw from the top, slowly release pressure and lift blade. Center sight and tighten set screw then replace top adjustment screw, should be 1 or 2 small springs (depending on model) under there but not under tension after adjustment screw is removed.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The Kensight LPA TRT sight spare parts set includes two set screws. I bet they bear in the dovetail.
If you are brave enough to take out the elevation screw, you may find them there where you can tighten them up. Maybe even a little Loctite. Kensight recommends blue Loctite in the dovetail.
CAUTION: I don't know what else taking out the elevation screw will uncover.

ETA: Sounds like MDP has had one apart.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...or go to around minute 32 of this video:
This is the #1 reason I avoid UberToob. I'm too old to waste 32 minutes of my time left on earth to get to the good stuff. Thanks for spending the time. I will give it a look.

Call S.A. A friend had same thing happen to his . He sent it in , fixed under warrant in two weeks .
Again, life remaining is too short to send this in and not have it for a week or six for such a simple problem.

Zoid,

Press down on the blade and remove adjustment screw from the top, slowly release pressure and lift blade. Center sight and tighten set screw then replace top adjustment screw, should be 1 or 2 small springs (depending on model) under there but not under tension after adjustment screw is removed.
Many thanks. I suspected as much, but I have learned to ask these days vs. to "boldly go where no bubba has gone before . . . . . "

What about that little "detent post." Is that pinned into place, or will it end up under my desk needing a flashlight and magnet to retrieve?

View attachment 435779

·
MP Custom
385 Posts
It won't go anywhere, it's captive. Add a drop of oil at that location just to make it rotate a little easier. The springs are in small holes so they will not fall out unless you turn it upside down, just let up slowly after removing the screw.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It won't go anywhere, it's captive. Add a drop of oil at that location just to make it rotate a little easier. The springs are in small holes so they will not fall out unless you turn it upside down, just let up slowly after removing the screw.

SMILEY-THUMBS.jpg

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
The task is simple enough. First time I removed an adjustable sight, I took great care to keep the springs from getting misplaced. Had both in hand. Then I dropped one of the dang things and never found it! Do as I say, not as I do! :eek:.o:

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zoid,

Many thanks!

Worked like a charm. The rear sight is now fixed back into place!

G

·
What me worry ?
11,110 Posts
Zoid,

Good man

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
kirmit.gif

Reactions: MDP and ZoidMeister
1 - 19 of 19 Posts