1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been doing business on there for years without a hiccup.
Well, there’s a first time for everything.
Picked up a sweet Lew Horton 629 3”. Or so I thought.
Seller deleted his account.
I had used a USPS money order for the payment. Went to post office after mail had been sent for 25 days to cancel money order.
They said to contact post office where it was sent.
Great guy answered the phone and somehow we struck up a conversation about OU. A common bond was struck instantly!
As soon as I told him the P.O. Box name and number, he said “don’t tell me you bought a gun from this dude”.
I said yes. He asked if it was from GB.
Again, yes. He then told me that the guy was under federal investigation and to file a police report ASAFP! And then get in touch with the post master inspector.
This scumbag is going down HARD!
And in a few weeks I’ll be getting my money back, minus $20 for fees.
Here she was...

So now onto the even better news...
I ended up picking up another Lew Horton 629. 😃👌🏻
This fine specimen....

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's crazy. Thank you for posting about it and I'm glad you're getting your money back.

I also notice he had over 800 reviews too. Did you read through any of those before hand? How far back did they go back? Just goes to show how rampant the problem is. I would have felt safe dealing with him as well with that many reviews.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,183 Posts
I would have totally fallen for that as well with all the reviews he has.
Bet if you had purchased this about a month prior all would have been fine. You just happened to buy when he was about to get pinched.
Sucks you lost $20, but glad it wasn't a lot worse.
Boomer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It’s not reviews, people steal/hijack reputable accounts. Change the mailing address and email addresses to their own for a reputable account and then do their shady business under someone else’s name. I was in a back and forth getting my eBay and PayPal account [email protected] over this past Easter weekend. Luckily I paid attention the to emails saying, you’ve changed your email address… or we’ve updated your contact…
I was on the phone hours getting it sorted and re-secured.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Sorry to hear you got burned. I was also taken when I bought a gun over the Internet. The seller requested a USPS Money Order. Luckily I bought the MO useing my Amex card. I told Amex it was a case of Internet fraud, and Amex returned all my money no hassle. If you do pay by a MO, I would suggest using your Amex card, saved my butt.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Glad you’re getting your money back and were able to purchase another.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Oh.

I’m about to send a USPS money order off for a Gunbroker purchase. I asked the owner of the Gun Store to accept a credit card, but he said credit cards are only accepted in store. He looked legit so I confirmed the GB purchase. Now I’m scared.

Anybody in Georgia know of this place?...

Ron
North Georgia Gun Range
http://www.northgagunrange.com
706-635-3473
At least He’s got a website and phone number. Those are both positives. I think your fine. I’d call and speak to someone regarding your purchase if your concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Been doing business on there for years without a hiccup.
Well, there’s a first time for everything.
Picked up a sweet Lew Horton 629 3”. Or so I thought.
Seller deleted his account.
I had used a USPS money order for the payment. Went to post office after mail had been sent for 25 days to cancel money order.
They said to contact post office where it was sent.
Great guy answered the phone and somehow we struck up a conversation about OU. A common bond was struck instantly!
As soon as I told him the P.O. Box name and number, he said “don’t tell me you bought a gun from this dude”.
I said yes. He asked if it was from GB.
Again, yes. He then told me that the guy was under federal investigation and to file a police report ASAFP! And then get in touch with the post master inspector.
This scumbag is going down HARD!
And in a few weeks I’ll be getting my money back, minus $20 for fees.
Here she was...
View attachment 787877

So now onto the even better news...
I ended up picking up another Lew Horton 629. 😃👌🏻
This fine specimen....

View attachment 787878

View attachment 787880
I totally could have fallen for that add. I learned something tonight. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Sucks you're going through this, I am glad you are getting your money back.

·
Registered
820 Posts
At least He’s got a website and phone number. Those are both positives. I think your fine. I’d call and speak to someone regarding your purchase if your concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m thinking a gun range is safe. Thank you for your feedback!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Along these lines, I almost always use a Postal MO. Takes a little longer than paypal, but provides much better protection to the seller. Also, doing the F&F thing on paypal is not only lying but it removes any protection that you might have had from paypal, which isn't much since they are antigun.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,162 Posts
Sorry to hear you got burned. I was also taken when I bought a gun over the Internet. The seller requested a USPS Money Order. Luckily I bought the MO useing my Amex card. I told Amex it was a case of Internet fraud, and Amex returned all my money no hassle. If you do pay by a MO, I would suggest using your Amex card, saved my butt.
I'm pretty sure USPS MO have to be bought with cash or debit cards, last time I was at the PO they wouldn't take a credit card.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts