School me on long slides, please?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Cop_Out, May 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    So, why do long slides always have adjustable sights? Can you accurately shoot them with fixed sights? Also, is .45 an acceptable cartridge or is 10mm preferred?
    Thanks in advance,
    C

2. uncommonsense

uncommonsense Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Is this kind of a conversation starter?

My take: Long slides with their longer sight radius and heavier weight are features more in line with target shooting, as are adjustable sights. Fixed sights are more suitable for carry, as is a more compact form factor and lighter weigh. So long slides often have adjustable sights, but there's no rule. Similarly, I think you can have any caliber you prefer. I tend to think more of a 10mm than 45 when I think of long slides.

Steve Owens and boatdoc like this.

3. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    You don't see a lot of long slides with fixed sights because they aren't often a carry gun, and are frequently used for handgun hunting, so you may as well have adjustable sights. You might have a hard time finding the right height for fixed sights just because they are not common on a longslide, but I am certain you could find them or somebody who would make them for you if you really wanted to. .45 is a perfectly acceptable caliber. A long slide does a little more for you in 10mm, just because of the higher pressure; the added mass helps reduce movement on recoil and returns to firing position a little faster. But everything in life has trade-off's. It's a little heavier, and a little slower on your target transitions. For me, I find the balance in bowling pin competition to be worth that trade. I also like being able to adjust my sights for the pin distance so I don't have to think much about it in the moment. I deeply love my long slide 10mm, but whereas I have 15 Government sized guns, I've never felt the need or desire to own more than one long slide 1911.

[​IMG]

gun_fan111, UBOATDOC, dougwtx and 9 others like this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  5. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    everyone should own at least 1

6. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Mine is in 10mm also. I could see one in 45ACP if one handloads or wanted to play with 45 Super.

[​IMG]

dougwtx and FWoo45 like this.
  7. uncommonsense

Apr 14, 2018
    One of each caliber, 10mm and 45acp. You gotta have some balance!

8. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    My 2011 10mm will have a OAL of 6" but the slide is only 4.4". Does that count?

9. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks for the comments gents!

10. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    7B56E538-2FD5-4AB0-9A07-CE1667905DCF.jpeg Long slide in 38 Super is good shooting too!

11. uncommonsense

Apr 14, 2018
    I pick up this double stack beast tomorrow. It's like the 1911 version of a monster truck. Lol

Attached Files:

12. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    As barrels get longer, barrel dwell time increases for the projectile. Adjustable sights are the equalizer in that event.

13. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Never cared for fixed sights on my pistols, but that's just me.

Steve Owens likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted