1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the difference between a Dillon 550B and C?
Is it just that the C is slightly more automated and gizmoed out?
What happened to the one that was for sale the other day? Can’t find the thread? Guess I missed out?
Anybody got one for sale similar to that?

Was just thinking about it would be nice to have something similar set up or maybe even still in the box for that super rainy day? I know components now are almost non existent. But you gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have had a Dillon 650 for pistols with the auto case feed for almost 20 years. That being said have been kicking around for the last year getting the Hornady Ammo Plant. More money but more capability and easier to operate. Know you asked about the 550 and if that is your price point then so be it. It is a pretty good machine but there are better out there.

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had a Dillon 650 for pistols with the auto case feed for almost 20 years. That being said have been kicking around for the last year getting the Hornady Ammo Plant. More money but more capability and easier to operate. Know you asked about the 550 and if that is your price point then so be it. It is a pretty good machine but there are better out there.
I’m familiar enough with the process that I could be confident doing it.
Have just always heard good things about Dillion but am not married to them.
Have to look up the one you mentioned

·
Registered
429 Posts
What happened to the one that was for sale the other day? Can’t find the thread? Guess I missed out?

Was just thinking about it would be nice to have something similar set up or maybe even still in the box for that super rainy day? I know components now are almost non existent. But you gotta start somewhere.
I bought the 550 that was posted recently. I have no clue what happened to the thread, it just disappeared!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts

It’s a maintenance thing. The frame is different. The pivot pins on a B are pressed in. The pivot pins on a C screw in. I have never broke my B down to that point for maintenance.

I guess if you were shopping around for one the C has a slight advantage for maintenance. The ammo produced will be the same.

Here’s way too much info on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just purchased a 550C for my son from the web site with 3 caliber tool heads and accessories. Great stuff that will last a lifetime.
The lead time for a 550C is not too bad and conversion kits on ebay are only $50-60. Some of the other equipment might be delivered in time for your grandson to use.

·
Premium Member
4,889 Posts
I knew absolutely nothing about reloading and bought the 550C set up for .38 super. I then went to Ebay and found the die sets etc for 9mm & .45
When I want some quiet "think or not think" time, I step out in the shop and pull the handle.
No automation on mine and I'm good with that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 550b that I picked up used on a local forum. Press and everything needed plus 3 caliber exchange kits for $500. As stated above I use it for my therapy time as much as feeding the habit. I am still new to it but turn out 200 ish an hr. I still have a ton to learn but my groups are as good with my stuff as factory ammo. I feel the quality of the press is a huge part of the consistency, it definitely hasn't come from my experience.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I bought a 550 about 4yrs ago and have loaded close to 110,000 45acp rnds. on it without a problem. I've been looking at the new 750 but I'm still not sure I need the automatic indexing but it would be nice. I checked out Ebay and man they have gone nuts, I've seen 9mm/38 Super Caliber Conversions for both presses and they are $80-$140 with at least 3 bids or more and 3-8 days left in the auctions that is just gouging and crazy, and don't get me started on 9mm Carbide Dies $100-$300 new and used. I checked Dillon's site and they say they are running around 12 weeks for press orders, die sets it didn't say but you can backorder. I found a set of Lyman Carbide Dies for 9mm I think I'll just order them. The only problem I have is Small Pistol Primers, I'm not paying out the a$$ for those, wish I would have bought those along with the 110,000 Large Pistol Primers that I purchased after Sandyhook. My neighbor who got me started in reloading has a Dillon 550 that's probably close to 15yrs old or older and he finally had to send it back to Dillon about 3yrs ago and they fixed and upgraded it to what ever new parts that it needed at no cost, so I was sold on them. I've had to call them a few times for some small parts and they sent them to me no questions asked. Not sure my post will help you any but this is my opinion they are a top notch company.

Reactions: FWoo45 and Dub

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I’m familiar enough with the process that I could be confident doing it.
Have just always heard good things about Dillion but am not married to them.
Have to look up the one you mentioned
The Dillon equipment is good stuff and what is the best selling point to me is the lifetime guarantee. They even upgraded my 650 years ago for no cost. The issues is now getting one because of the crazy demand and the crazy prices for the reloading components. I have enough .45 brass for 2 lifetimes a 20mm ammo can almost full of WCC all the same year fired once set to me because it was going to be scrapped by a manufacturer . Even though I do not shoot the 45 hardly ever still am going to keep it given the current situation. Thought about weighing and selling it 100pc at a time but it is just too much of a hassle. Now it is a appreciating asset!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I bought a used 550c a couple years ago and once setup works great. Something to consider is auto-indexing and the ability to powder check with 650s and up. The powder check is nice if you load taller cartridges where it is a bit more difficult to visually check for a powder charge. I don’t shoot enough to justify the auto case and bullet feeder and the 550 was fast enough to keep up with my component supply. I can easily load 200-300 rounds an hour at a very leisurely pace with mixed brass. You might as well buy new given some of the used prices I have seen and the lack of components.

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a used 550c a couple years ago and once setup works great. Something to consider is auto-indexing and the ability to powder check with 650s and up. The powder check is nice if you load taller cartridges where it is a bit more difficult to visually check for a powder charge. I don’t shoot enough to justify the auto case and bullet feeder and the 550 was fast enough to keep up with my component supply. I can easily load 200-300 rounds an hour at a very leisurely pace with mixed brass. You might as well buy new given some of the used prices I have seen and the lack of components.
Thanks
I was on Dillons site last night and yes prices are a lot lower than I’m seeing on eBay or elsewhere. Since I’m in no hurry and this would just be a rainy day type of set up I think I can wait the ‘back order’ time. Plus their site lets you custom tailor your order and get what you want the way you want it. May just do that.

·
Survivor
197 Posts
Sometimes Graf&Sons has Dillon products in stock as well as Midsouth Shooters Supply. Ebay has inflated prices for Dillon products. I have owned a 550B for about 10 years, (bought from Dillon). Caliber changes for .45 ACP, 38/357, 45 Colt, 7.62x39, 300BLK, 30-30 Win, .308 Win. Mostly have Lee dies that include the FCD. Some Dillon dies. Lee and Dillon powder scales, (beam type). Have not felt the need to upgrade to 550C. Could not be any happier with my setup.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
If your in no hurry I'd order it from Dillon and just spec it out how you want it. You'll like it when you get it, I used a single stage for years and wish I had ordered my Dillon long before I did.

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sometimes Graf&Sons has Dillon products in stock as well as Midsouth Shooters Supply. Ebay has inflated prices for Dillon products. I have owned a 550B for about 10 years, (bought from Dillon). Caliber changes for .45 ACP, 38/357, 45 Colt, 7.62x39, 300BLK, 30-30 Win, .308 Win. Mostly have Lee dies that include the FCD. Some Dillon dies. Lee and Dillon powder scales, (beam type). Have not felt the need to upgrade to 550C. Could not be any happier with my setup.

Why do you like Lee die better?
I see that some three die Dillon sets have one that is a crimper?

·
Survivor
197 Posts
Actually I can't say one is better than the other. I have more Lee dies than Dillon, probably because the Lee cost less.
But, the Lee works great, if not I would dump them in a heartbeat and go with Dillon. The Dillon 3 die sets include the crimp die. The second station on the Dillon 550 uses a powder die that is separate from the die set. When you buy the Dillon conversion kits for your specific caliber, they come with the specific, I'm going to call it a "funnel" that slips into the universal powder die. Dillon has some good diagrams on their website. They have videos also, or at least they used to, haven't checked them for a while, I'm guessing the videos are still available.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts