School shooters' families' profile?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philip A., Sep 2, 2019.

1. Philip A.

Philip A. Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I don't know if this has been investigated, but if it has I would really like to have the figures...

If we take the teen-wenty shooters of the last twenty years, those having shot up schools, malls, churches, movie theaters without fundamentalist religious (of peace) motives, how many grew up in families with conservative values, with both parents present, with what is considered old-fashioned discipline? Corollary question, how many were taught how to handle firearms safely from a young age?

And how many come from single-parent families, dysfunctional families, or deeply liberal families where physical discipline was never an option?

2. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Interesting question! I too would like to know that, more than the name of the murderer. Don’t want to make them famous but this dynamic would be interesting to know. I’m almost positive we know most of the scenarios. I could be wrong but so far the actual persons involved seem to be left leaning at minimum and extreme liberal at most.

xerts1191 likes this.

3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    and what types of prescription meds they’ve been taking for how long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xerts1191, SVG, Kip and 6 others like this.
  4. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Agree - good question concerning potential “cause & effect”. I think there’s enough clinical knowledge in today’s medical arena to at least study and begin to discern what behavioral and/or environmental conditions tend to yield these results. Unfortunately this type of categorizing would quickly get the label of “profiling” which has negative connotations in our society - and maybe would prevent it from becoming the useful tool it has the potential to be.

Plus, no matter the results from such studies, I rather doubt they’d ever be one hundred percent correct. I think you’d always have the atypical “out lyer” which wouldn’t fit “the profile”. For instance, shooters being “younger, white men” - well... I think the Virginia Tech shooter (years ago), was Asian. The the notorious Las Vegas shooter wasn’t exactly “young” - just possible examples of those who maybe wouldn’t ‘fit the profile’.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean the value of such a study and quantifying certain common traits wouldn’t be helpful or valuable. To such a study, I personally would add research into their medical background concerning SSRI drugs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Early on, there appeared to be a {strong} correlation with most of these shooters. Now, you don’t see that mentioned in the press anymore. Is this the result of HIPA information being ‘clamped down’? Did past treatment with this class of drug have a longer lasting effect or permanently change the brain’s function? Were active treatment prescriptions (dosage) too strong (or perhaps, not strong enough)? Again, I’m advocating an unbiased study be done to detect any potential cause & effect. But you’d have to overcome Big Pharma’s objections!

While you may not be able to catch everything, I certainly think some helpful guidelines could be created for determining, as they say, “at risk” individuals.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    10mm Guy, xerts1191, isialk and 3 others like this.
  5. SARCOM

SARCOM New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Great questions ...
    This will be interesting to watch

6. 9mm4evr

9mm4evr Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2018
    The snowflakes @ ACLU would say your profiling because the truth and facts hurt.

gaijin, xerts1191, SVG and 1 other person like this.
  7. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I agree with Dallas and believe that some studies are continually being done on mass murderers, serial killers etc. Forget the the ACLU! It is profiling. It’s literally done by profilers, and has been going on in Law Enforcement and the Medical, Psychological, and Sociological sciences for years. The data they’ve compiled is voluminous but it’s certainly not infallible in determining cause. It is however the best we have. These studies need to continue and most importantly be free of bias so that in the end the data is actually usable. The study of human beings is very difficult for lots of reasons. Not the least of which is that there are so many variables that it’s next to impossible to isolate the effects that any change in a single variable or combination of variables may be causing. Some act alone, some act in synergy with others, and some may have no effect. Now throw in parental influence or even grandparents. My point I guess is that I’m not buying the he’s a white nationalist BS any more than I’m buying he’s a liberal, or he’s a black or a Muslim, or his parents didn’t spank him or his daddy didn’t love him and that’s the reason he did it. These are just attempts at simple answers to what are complex problems. All of the questions asked here as well as the various social stigmas are part and parcel of what makes finding answers difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    I think first of all, we can guarantee they are all troubled people. Secondly they, for the most part, plan out their actions beforehand. Thirdly they are not accomplished shooters, except maybe the Austin shooter back in the '60's. Many have been determined to be taking or coming off psychotic drugs. Some have obtained their weapons legally, some illegally. Past this we have to start looking at similarities and differences and compiling data to come up with a realistic profile of these shooters and what triggers then into action.
    Something has definitely gone wrong with our world and it should be clear to most of us that the liberal faction wants to blame us for it and ultimately take our guns because of it. They need to take a good look in the mirror and realize THEY started this and THEY are the real problem.

OneEyedTanker likes this.
  9. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    Don't remember asking for your opinion in the first place.

Kip, Harleyvato and Scaramouche like this.
  10. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    If the facts don’t support the agenda being rammed down our throats, then the facts don’t get any air time.
    You know that.

“We” are in danger of extinction.
    Make no doubt the war has begun, it’s just not “hot”- yet.

11. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    It's an open forum where we share opinion, but as it's mentioned before opinions are like body parts, everyone has one. The dog barks, the caravan moves on. This is a good discussion disregarding those who respond with three word auto responses. Critical thinking is valued on our forum unlike most. Put yourself out there, think a little, it dont hurt that much.

isialk, dirtystranger, jfrey and 2 others like this.
  12. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Comments that don’t add any value or “substance” to the topic being discussed are easily ignored. It may entail needing grow a little thicker skin, but soon it’s like “water off a duck’s back”... who cares what they think?

As I’ve said before, my favorite responses to do the “eye roll” thing on, are the responses that answer a question that wasn’t asked.

I’ve found it best just to ignore the posts (or posters) that feel it necessary to make a snide remark that’s not really helpful to the topic being discussed.

isialk and jfrey like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted