1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've had an in-the-white Sako short action in my safe for a few years. I've wanted to build a Scout for some time, but have held back over only having a low-mag LER scope. I also have a Zeiss 8 x 56 in the safe, too.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has set up a Scout so that the LER optic can be switched with a conventional scope as needed. I suspect the bases and rings would make all the difference for a clean and easy build.

Any Scout guys here with tips?

Thanks.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
I bounced between an aimpoint red dot and and an Osprey Global 4 - 16 . Put Larue quick release on picatinny rail .

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bounced between an aimpoint red dot and and an Osprey Global 4 - 16 . Put Larue quick release on picatinny rail .
Thanks. I want to stick with traditional optics, but I want to be able to switch between them. I'd prefer a system where just the bases are permanently installed, and the rings QD with those. Whatever is most rock-solid for zeros back and forth.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,484 Posts
Browse Larue tactical , or Bravo company . You can get an idea of what will work .

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Indirectly related to your post, I have a Ruger Gunsite in .308 with a cheapie 2-7 LER scope mounted forward of the receiver. I’ve found the weight that far forward makes the rifle heavy when shooting off-hand. Like Mike mentioned, I’m also going to try a red dot for the eye-relief without weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I built a Scout out of a short action m-98 (forgot which country had a slightly shorter action back when I built it) silver soldered mount block on the bbl and installed a 2x leupold LER scope on it.
It's been that way so long i'd think something was wrong if I had a regular scope on it.
I've been successful hunting with it from 20yds to some 300+ yd shots. (only 2) with it on deer sized critters.
Other than trying to hit small varmints at 250+ it low powered scope has always worked for it's intended purpose.
Had to use large bulls to sight it in due to the reticle size etc but it works. I think Col Jeff had a good plan and it works for me anyhow!

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK, I've had an in-the-white Sako short action in my safe for a few years. I've wanted to build a Scout for some time, but have held back over only having a low-mag LER scope. I also have a Zeiss 8 x 56 in the safe, too.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has set up a Scout so that the LER optic can be switched with a conventional scope as needed. I suspect the bases and rings would make all the difference for a clean and easy build.

Thanks.
As long as you have solid rails and some really good rings, that should not be an issue. I would definitely pull them off and test for their ability to hold zero. Good luck and it is fun!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

Thanks.
Does the Sako you own have the integral bases on it like the old one did? Sorry haven't been keeping up with the rifle world?
If so , those baes with good mounts used to return to zero quite well.
Even if not it's usually just a few quick adjustments when remounting a know scope!

Reactions: 19DRS83

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the Sako you own have the integral bases on it like the old one did? Sorry haven't been keeping up with the rifle world?
If so , those baes with good mounts used to return to zero quite well.
Even if not it's usually just a few quick adjustments when remounting a know scope!
Yes, it's the old style Sako with the integral bases. I thought I'd have the 'smith extend that rib out the barrel for the LER optic.

·
What me worry ?
11,089 Posts
Make sure you use an optic that offers plenty of eye relief .
I’m using a Burris scout , works great and can take a pounding
From heavy loads + lifetime warranty included.

2D3782D3-F28B-4288-AFED-9A0CD00F92D9.jpeg

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Make sure you use an optic that offers plenty of eye relief .
I’m using a Burris scout , works great and can take a pounding
From heavy loads + lifetime warranty included.

View attachment 414375
You got me thinking: I've also got a minty fresh Remington 760 pump carbine in .270 Win that is also taking up safe space. I should see if anyone made/makes 10-round box mags for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After messing around with 10 round magazines and 5 rounders. I really do prefer the 5's the weight in larger calibers is noticeable. The Burris Scout that @tac45 is running is a amazing optic. I'm currently running a Leopold FXII IER Scout just due to weight. There are a lot of purist out there that loose their minds over certain aspects of a Scout rifle. I say have fun, keep it as light as possible and go shoot! Look forward to seeing what you build!

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After messing around with 10 round magazines and 5 rounders. I really do prefer the 5's the weight in larger calibers is noticeable. ... Look forward to seeing what you build!

Two 5s don't weigh any less than one 10, do they? At least on the 760, the mag release is thin and fiddly, so I'm wondering if a 10 might not be a better choice--fewer changes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You ain't wrong. I like the weight and way the rifle handles with a 5 rounder. Bottom line is that you know your 760 better than me. Play with both if you have them and see what you think. Look forward to seeing how it turns out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts