1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested in hearing everyone's success, or failures, concerning the primary Scout style rifles on today's market as regards accuracy, ease of setup, magazine dependability, etc.

Steyr
Ruger
Mossburg
Savage

All comments appreciated

·
Registered
799 Posts

I had an early Ruger GSR. Loved it when it first came out. Took AI mags I already had. Seemed handy and light. Never got comfortable with the forward-mounted scout style scope, though. I put a rail on it and relocated the scope to a more traditional position. Shot it a couple of times, was generically happy with it, put it in the safe, and it totally faded from my memory.

A couple years later, I got to thinking how nice it might be to have a compact .308 for 600m and under. Something with a 16" barrel, variable low-to-mid magnification scope, would take mags I already had, and could share a can with an AR. So I built this:

Went to put it in the safe, and realized I had this same exact idea years ago.

I have no real insight on the scout style rifle, but I keep buying them, so I guess I like them. This same general pattern of forgetfulness is probably also why I keep marrying angry women.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My Ruger Gunsite Scout has been a great deer gun. Short, fairly light, reliable and accurate ( have only stretched it to 250M so far). ReCoil was a bit harsh so I recently installed an Elite Iron muzzle brake with a blast shield. Haven’t had a chance to try that out yet but I’m sure the brake will be an improvement over the A2 flashhider it came with.

·
837 Posts
I think scout-style rifles are very much a product of their time, and don't have a lot of relevance or advantage when compared to modern alternatives.

That being said, all the manufacturers you listed build quality rifles. I would personally avoid the Styer though, simply because the built in bipod is not very stable.

If you just want one for the novelty, then go for it. I personally keep eyeballing a Marlin 336 Dark, mostly because of the novelty.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marlin 336 - I'd been looking for a stock Winchester 94 for 3 years. Found one, cosmetics aren't pretty but the wood was solid, the bore good and the action tight - brought it home. A heck of a grab and go gun, good to 150 or so, holds half-dozen rounds ---- my Papa joked that the lever action was the poor man's assault rifle before he passed. He's right. Still a lot to be said for it. Been thinking of throwing a low mag optic on it and being happy!

·
Banned
219 Posts
I have a blued, laminate stocked Ruger Gunsite Scout, and its a fantastic rifle. They are delivered with a peep sight mounted, but also have scope rings for mounting on the receiver included. Length of pull is adjustable by adding or removing spacers, and a steel 10 roud magazine is standard. Ruger's accessory magazines are 3, 5, and 10 round polymer magazines, and they are a bit more compact and fit the magazine well better.

My scope IS on the receiver rather than forward of the action as a "scout scope" would normally be. I've shot mine to at least 500m, and I'm well pleased.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I too have the Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. I bought it while living behind enemy lines, and no one gives an “old bolt gun” a second look. It was also available in a LH configuration, unlike the Savage or Mossberg (at the time).

The rifle is built like a tank on a proven design and action. The laminate stock isn’t light, but that’s preferable to me given the thump of a .308. The metal box magazine that came with it is functional but clunky - the poly versions are much much better.

I drank all the koolaide and added the long eye-relief scope forward of the action, and also a bipod. This made the weapon muzzle-heavy, which makes offhand shooting a challenge and sort of defeats the object of a handy scout platform.

A ching-sling is essential.

This summer I’m going to pull off the bipod and scope and try a red dot.

IMG_1489.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think scout-style rifles are very much a product of their time, and don't have a lot of relevance or advantage when compared to modern alternatives.
I agree 100% that if I hear a bump in the night I’m reaching for the AR pistol beside my bed. But the relevance and advantage of a magazine-fed bolt gun or a lever gun in today’s world is that they are NOT a “modern alternative” and hence fly below the radar.

While the “assault rifle” vilification and witch hunt rolls along, my local D!cks still has Marlin 1895’s in 45-70 for sale, and ammo on the shelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,942 Posts
I've got a Mossberg MVP Patrol Thunder Ranch rifle in .308 that makes a decent Scout rifle. It's lightish, has an 18" barrel, iron sights, uses AR10 or M1A mags, is plenty accurate, and pretty affordable.
20171016_113502.jpg

Shot off the Jeep hood at 125yds-

·
Registered
51 Posts
I currently own two Steyr Scout Rifles, .308 and.375 Steyr. They are in my opinion superb all around practical Rifles with one fatal flaw. The low power Leupold Scout Scopes are useless under low light conditions with a busy background. Other than this I find the rifles superb, light, handy, powerful, amazingly accurate out 250 yards. Did I say Handy? To be honest I do need to mention that the emergency B/U "iron Sights" are difficult to use but can be made to work. They are great rifles.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got a Mossberg MVP Patrol Thunder Ranch rifle in .308 that makes a decent Scout rifle. It's lightish, has an 18" barrel, iron sights, uses AR10 or M1A mags, is plenty accurate, and pretty affordable.
View attachment 496359

Shot off the Jeep hood at 125yds-
doesnt it use the little tab on the bolt face to feed - which I'm assuming allows the use of those two greatly available magazines - ever had any problems with the feeding??

·
Super Moderator
13,557 Posts
I’ve got a few.
Ruger GSR
Springfield M1A Scout
And a recently picked up on here Springfield M1A SOCOM

·
What me worry ?
11,747 Posts

That being said, all the manufacturers you listed build quality rifles. I would personally avoid the Styer though, simply because the built in bipod is not very stable.

If you just want one for the novelty, then go for it. I personally keep eyeballing a Marlin 336 Dark, mostly because of the novelty.
I have to disagree with you ,the Marlin 1895 Scout rifle IMHO is one of the quintessential Scout rifles of all time , chambered in 45-70
Loaded with modern +p ammo is Capable of taking any game that walks the earth (see Garrett’s cartridges safari section ).
This rifle and cartridge is issued by the government for protection against Brown Baer in Alaska . Can easily be carried all day no problem.
6BC20769-B984-4192-A067-8C3DEB91ED49.jpeg

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a Steyr Scout Rifle and a M1A Scout Rifle. Both are great guns. I have scopes mounted on them the traditional way (Leupold MK4 3.5-10 and a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10X56), and though I do own a Leupold Scout scope, I've yet to use it.

My M1A Scout shoots great, but is kind of heavy, and isn't something I would want to carry around all day.

The Steyr is a great, lightweight rifle. The built in bipod; I found plenty stable and fine to shoot off of (as long as your shooting straight ahead, there is definitely no canting). I've taken quite a few deer and antelope with it. If you do a lot of walking, especially in hill country, the lightweightness of the Steyr is a nice bonus. I bought it a few years before Ruger's version. I haven't ever shot Ruger's Scout Rifle, but if I was going to buy one now, I would certainly look at it pretty close, it being close to 1/2 the cost of the Steyr.

I have a Marlin 1894 44 magnum lever action that I put the XS Sight systems scout rail and peep sights on. I will eventually get around to mounting the Leupold Scout scope on that and use it for the hills deer season that we have here.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
I have a blued, laminate stocked Ruger Gunsite Scout, and its a fantastic rifle. They are delivered with a peep sight mounted, but also have scope rings for mounting on the receiver included. Length of pull is adjustable by adding or removing spacers, and a steel 10 roud magazine is standard. Ruger's accessory magazines are 3, 5, and 10 round polymer magazines, and they are a bit more compact and fit the magazine well better.

My scope IS on the receiver rather than forward of the action as a "scout scope" would normally be. I've shot mine to at least 500m, and I'm well pleased.
It's called a ghost ring, which is an over sized peep sight. Didn't buy a Ruger because I can't stand ghost rings.

Lot of laughs in the early scout rifle days. I had a plain old Remington Mohawk with iron sights, and with M118 or my handloads I shot a lot of practical rifle in those days and beating early SRs. The Mohawk also sat in my scabbard during my SAR days (cougars and bears).

·
837 Posts
I have to disagree with you ,the Marlin 1895 Scout rifle IMHO is one of the quintessential Scout rifles of all time , chambered in 45-70
Loaded with modern +p ammo is Capable of taking any game that walks the earth (see Garrett’s cartridges safari section ).
This rifle and cartridge is issued by the government for protection against Brown Baer in Alaska . Can easily be carried all day no problem.
View attachment 496749
Agreed that a leaver action with a classic chambering is a winner. Thats why I'm looking at a Marlin Dark rifle.

I thought Cooper's scout rifle concept called for a bolt action rifle with box magainze, no?

Marlin Dark pic for reference.

·
Registered
178 Posts
'Scout rifle' platforms vary ...

While traditionally most have been built on bolt guns, typically in .308/7.62, you can find examples of others Scouts built on lever-actions and autoloaders, not to mention chambered in other calibers.

18" Marlin SBL in .45-70:

photo.JPG

16" Mini-G (Garand) in .30-06:

photo.JPG

30-40 Krag:

IMG_0216.JPG

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
It amuses me what people call a Scout Rifle. Simply mounting a Scout Scope forward does not make a Scout Rifle. Jeff Cooper originated the breed and he laid down a set of specs that define a Scout Rifle among which are the following: Weight, 6lbs, length, no more than 1 meter, Built in B/U sights. A cartridge adequate for game up to 450lbs. A more accurate list of specs are easily available. Check em out. Also, a visit to the Scout Rifle web site might be helpful.

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
I have the savage.

I only have about 50 rounds through it but so far it's all good. I like the peep sight. Not too much recoil, seems accurate. I'll probably go shoot it some more Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts