1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My new Kimber 1911 came in today and I field stripped it to wipe off the factory oil and put some new oil on. I'm not new to 1911's but I cannot get the Slide Stop Pin to seat all the way in. I've racked the safety pin in and out a few times to be able to pass that pin but then the Stop pin is stopped from seating by the top of the Stop pin flange not going under the slide. Any suggestions? May have to send this straight back to Kimber.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'll answer my own question. First, don't follow Kimber's directions on that step as it says to take the slide stop back to the rectangular hole, NOT the semi-circular notch to the rectangular hole. It's in place now but not without, what I will call, "my scratch"...no one else's, it's mine. BTW, I did read the manual HooDoo Man. That's how it got scratched. I'll be calling Kimber tomorrow to let them know. But if you knew the answer to my question, you could've simply answered it. I mean, that is the reason for this forum, is it not??

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,016 Posts
Slide-releases can be stubborn on a new gun. I guess we are assuming it has a bushing and not a bull barrel ?

Pictures help, as I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "pin". I'm assuming it's getting hung up on the plunger spring assembly.

Sometimes downward and upward pressure while the gun is laid on a flat surface can get a stubborn slide-release in. Just make sure everything is properly aligned.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Oh that's a real good answer SMG. Now you want to blame your wrong doing on me. OK Genius. Figure you own crap out and live with it.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
It needs the logman groove . . . .

"Assembly marks" are a right of passage and increase the value of Kimbers.

Don't be these guys . . . .

IdiotScratch-03.jpg

Idiot Scratch of the Year (big).jpg

Idiot Scratch (big).jpg

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,016 Posts
Honestly guys, be a "little" nicer to new members. That's not a good addict welcome.

·
Dremel jockey
3,988 Posts
I see many shortened slide stop pins with a near flat profile.
Or even checkered.
Silly stuff, makes reinsertion much more difficult.
The end of the pin should have a spherical radius.
Look through the frame hole, line things up, them gently press in the slide stop.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Watch this video closely. At least 3 times. Especially the very last part of the reassembly. Pay special attention to the placement of the slide while putting the slide stop in. It will work.

This video should be mandatory for all 1911 owners.
Jeff

Reactions: HOGRIDER

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Oh that's a real good answer SMG. Now you want to blame your wrong doing on me. OK Genius. Figure you own crap out and live with it.
HooDoo I'm still chuckling over this!

Reactions: HooDoo Man
1 - 11 of 11 Posts