1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, had another visit yesterday, this time from two State Police officers. The first visit was from a County Sheriff's Deputy. Was shooting in my backyard when the State Police shows up checking on a report from someone in the neighborhood concerned about the safety of my backstop. As they were walking down the hill in my backyard I noticed they were chuckling/laughing. They commented on how awesome and cool they thought my little range was. We talked for awhile about this and that, I asked if they would like to shoot a few rounds. Of course being on duty they declined. Told them to come back whenever they wished. Said the same thing to the Deputy when he showed up as well. Deputy never did come back and I'm sure these two State officers won't either but never the less. I live in a fairly rural area and I can count roughly 9 homes on the one mile stretch of road I live on. Anyway all is good and had another very pleasant conversation with the local LEO.
IMG_20210526_200648193.jpg

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I've been expecting this to happen in my backyard sometime but to date no LE visits. Built my house in the country about 30 years ago but city limits and new houses have been creeping closer each year. City limits now about 500 yards away, someday my little backyard range will be history.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I THINK I know who it was but after all the "war like" noisethat sometimes go on when I have special company over to shoot, I would think they would be calling on those days. Lol 😂 Yesterday I was just getting used to a new set of sights I installed on one of my pistols. Along with some plinking time with a couple others.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been expecting this to happen in my backyard sometime but to date no LE visits. Built my house in the country about 30 years ago but city limits and other houses have been moving closer each year. City limits now about 500 yards away, someday my little backyard range will be history.
View attachment 760395 View attachment 760396 View attachment 760394
Sweet little set up. Hopefully you will be able to continue to play back there for quite sometime yet

·
What me worry ?
11,914 Posts
Similar situation happened in my Little piece of paradise, it seems retirees from the other side of the Mason Dixon formally living in congested population centers where hearing gunfire makes then s—- their britches.
Needless to say ,the calls to LE started rolling in .
Finally, officers were dispatched to remind them they had moved into a southern community that is by law an “Independent Republic “ and the discharge of firearms is a common way of life down here as long as safety is being observed.
With the influx of those folks increasing, I hope the country council stays strong in its views .
As the locals explain to them when they start telling us how different things are here , “ if y’all liked it so much up north , your more then welcome to go back “ Bless their hearts ( that’s Southern for go F yourself .

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Similar situation happened in my Little piece of paradise, it seems retirees from the other side of the Mason Dixon formally living in congested population centers where hearing gunfire makes then s—- their britches.
Finally, officers were dispatched to remind them they had moved into a southern community that is by law an “Independent Republic “ and the discharge of firearms is a common way of life down here as long as safety is being observed.
With the influx of those folks increasing, I hope the country council stays strong in its views .
As the locals explain to them when they start telling us how different things are here , “ if y’all liked it so much up north , your more then welcome to go back “ Bless their hearts ( that’s Southern for go F yourself .
Sometimes Southerners move north and take that with them, lasts for generations :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice set up. Nosy neighbors aren’t fun. I’m glad the cops were cool about it.
I give respect until it's shown you don't deserve it. The first LEO that showed up two years ago was kind of ticked off at my neighbor to east of me. The neighbor to the West called and said he found a bullet one step from his backdoor. I think I would have called as well, so don't blame him. Neighbor to the east insisted that the Deputy come to my house after he was told to secure his backstop more than what it was. Which just so happens to be in direct line with where the bullet was found. He actually followed the Deputy up his driveway to make sure he did. Deputy said that was really the only reason he even stopped at my house.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny thing about it is I live in Michigan. Believe it or not there's way more people here that are 2A supporters than anyone can imagine. Think of Biden arguing with the Union member about taking his AR-15 away 😆

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sweet little set up. Hopefully you will be able to continue to play back there for quite sometime yet
Thanks, hopefully I will have a few more years. I try not to inflame any folks by limiting range use to .22s, 9mm and .45 acp. No centerfire rifle and no early morning or late evening shooting.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Not much LE activity where I live. The troopers in my area patrol an area the same size as West Virginia so frivolous complaints usually fall by the wayside. Up here they will be more apt to tell you to call back if they dont hear shooting lol
After the wife and I retired last March we now have the time to do nothing all day.
So for years we just shot off the bank with no backstop. Even tho we own the entire property I didnt like not having a backstop but it worked because we didnt shoot that much when we both worked. The wife worked for the Alaska Dept of Corrections so she used the state range whenever she wanted.
This year we rebuilt the pistol range. I brought in 30 yards of topsoil and made an earthen back stop. Feel better now that rounds arent just zinging thru the woods even tho they are MY woods and there is nothing else beyond for miles. The wife & I burned 10,000 rounds of .45 last summer so it was time to improve things.
Here is a couple pics of what I did...

Bringing the dirt. The old 950 Cat is like a well worn friend, looks rough but dependable all day every day.

We have wildflowers planted all over and I planted the same seed on the new earth backstop. These are last years pics of the flowers and how the backstop should look in a month. I noticed yesterday the seeds have took hold and gonna cover the backstop perfect. 21 hours of daylight will get some fast growth of the flowers. Its actually incredible how fast stuff grows up here.

Got this much done so far...
Rule is if you hit a barrel, flag, or flagpole its a 100 dollar bill to me lol.
I set this up to be dismantled and moved easily as well. This is my plow zone in the winter so it has to be taken apart and stored away each winter.
Worst that can happen is the 2x4 gets shot up but a quick fix if it does.

Finishing up the shooting table now. Its 12 feet long and 40 inches wide. I have a piece of heavy duty outdoor carpet runner stuff that I will just roll up and take in the house when done shooting so it dont get wet. Waiting on the stain to dry feels like its taking forever. Prolly put the 3rd & final coat on today and set it up this weekend. We usually set it up at 15 yards but can get back as far as 25 if so choose. Built it to be completely one man portable. I can dismantle it in 5 minutes, load it up & take it wherever I want. It weighs less than 50 pounds but rock solid. Notice the two 5 inch rubber casters on the end.
I cant believe how stoked I am to finally have a table that the bullets wont roll off of. Wife says I need to get out more. :ROFLMAO:

These are the horses I bought. The legs are adjustable in one inch increments so I can achieve level easily.
They fold up to nothing as well. Rock solid, level, and one man portable was the goal.

Thats all I got. Happy summer shooting everybody.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like OP has a democrat in the neighborhood. :confused:
I know his wife certainly is. Little story: my wife was out in her garden a few years ago, the neighbor was walking down her driveway to get her mail. My wife asked if she would like to have some cucumbers, tomatoes, corn or whatever because we had way too many at the time for the two of us. Neighbor responded, "no we only order ORGANIC veggies." Sure enough, the very next day we saw a box truck with some organic company logo on the side going down there driveway. I mean this is a freekin GARDEN you idiot. Oh the wife was maaaaad.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts