Seeking advice on simple chest rig

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by B81, Jan 30, 2019.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I would like to get a simple chest rig for carrying AR mags.

I'm just a weekend warrior, not a professional. It just needs to be good enough for local matches and intro carbine classes. It really just needs to carry mags. I don't need a plate carrier.

The other option is to setup a battle belt. However, I've read that its difficult to carry more than a couple AR mags on those and still have room for pistol stuff.

Any ideas?

UBOATDOC and GIJoke like this.
  2. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    511 or AR500 Armor - AR500 has 38% off carriers...that you don’t need...

PewPewPtwang likes this.

3. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    Honestly, I would just run a couple of blade tech ar pouches on a heavy duty tactical belt.

Karsten, PewPewPtwang and GIJoke like this.
  4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    ^^ For local matches this is realistic.

I have a Mayflower I carry in vehicles security box. It's a well thought out system that's "stand alone" or zips/snaps to a PC.
    [​IMG]

5. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Are you talking 3-gun? Does your local club really puts out matches where you need that much rifle ammo for a single stage?

I’ve seen chest rigs for shotgun shells at a local match.

6. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    I run a Shellback Tactical Banshee. It is small, lightweight, durable, and has a ton of options for MOLLE and storage.

I have been very impressed with it over the last six years.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  7. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I really like this chest rig ! :)

6B27DD5B-C77C-4CA3-B876-7D0DE9E8FF4A.jpeg

8. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    ^^^^^^ Simple …. Yet , attractive ! :)

tac45 and joerockhead like this.
  9. Wake27

Wake27 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Mayflower/Velocity stuff is awesome and if the price is doable, it won’t disappoint. I have two chest rigs, two plate carriers, two sets of front and back soft armor, cummerbund soft armor, and a set of front and back plates, plus some other pouches and several of their shirts. That being said, for a cheaper option, I like the SKD PIG UCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaijin and PewPewPtwang like this.
  10. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Did you find something useable or still hunting around?

11. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I haven't bought anything yet. I got distracted by other things. But, I do need to pick something up.

12. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    For a class, I'd suggest you get some mag carriers and throw them on a solid belt. Three of them, and keep one mag loose. Makes for easier reloads. At my age, I have learned the hard way the value of a dump pouch so you don't have to keep bending over to pick up empty mags. I prefer a battle belt in carbine classes.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  13. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I would think a Battle Belt and what ever carriers you need for matches or training or USGI LBV and again pick up what ever carriers you need including holster and pistol mags.

I have an Arktis Chest rig around here somewhere that is great for packing say 8 30 round mags and other gear on the side but no way to pack a sidearm. Going Prone you are laying on the mags hence you exposed.....also a bitch to get on and off.

I have something like this around here as well.....Little more versatile but the pouches are just there so you will need to make due with the available real estate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arktis-LBV...h=item3fb7dfec72:g:HW0AAOSwqoxcRple:rk:1:pf:1

I believe the above should have a pocket to carry a pistol inside a zippers compartment if it is like another I have.

Karsten

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  14. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Battle belts are a mess if you have use them in a vehicle, that's where a plate carrier with mag pouches shines. But for most training, you won't be in/out of vehicles and battle belts are awesome.I use a harness with mine and make it very comfortable. I use Taco style mags that allow me to carry multiple AR and handgun mags, a blow out kit, holster, and dump pouch, which I attach to the mag pouches at my leg, not behind, easy to dump empties in it quickly.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  15. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Pew pew, PM inbound.

PewPewPtwang likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted