Seeking "Gun Finishes" Info & Answers

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by TheCollector, Feb 1, 2019.

1. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I'm not sure if this should be posted here or "General Discussion"

To those of you in the know, I turn to you for some help.
    I have decided to step into the "build" phase of 1911-ing. I have two projects in the starting/planning phase and have some questions in regards to different finishes. I pretty much know what I want but not where to get it.
    Below is a picture of a WC I was fortunate enough to purchase. Two of the finishes I'm really interested in getting done on the builds are the color case hardening and the polished Baron blueing. I don't really want to copy the gun I have so one of the builds will have the cch done and I'd like to have some parts of the other done in the Baron blue.

Question #1) Do any of you have recommendations for who you would use for either or both of those finishes? Do they offer their services to private individuals?
    Question #2) Is there a preferred process for coloring SS barrels?

Any & all input/advise/recommendations would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
    IMG_2087 (2).jpg

2. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I believe that Doug Turnbull is known for some of the best CCH in the community. The finest bluing I’ve ever seen has been on Chambers Customs. Not sure if he does them or sends them out but hands down the best I’ve seen.

3. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I have seen a lot of good reports on Bobby Tyler's work.
    https://tylergunworks.com/color-case
    CAVEAT: I have not done business with him.

Stainless steel can be blackened but it doesn't wear any better than blue.
    Stainless steel can be darkened by nitride or PVD but I don't know if you will get a good color and texture match to polished and blued CM steel.

Old Sea Dragon and TheCollector like this.
  4. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    TheCollector likes this.
  5. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Doug Turnbull does the best CCH I have ever seen (in person). The colors look more distinct to me and the pattern more fluid.

Glenrock Blue does great bluing and nitre bluing for small parts.

6. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    While I do not have a large sampling, I have several pieces done by Turnbull and one done by Tyler.

The Tyler is nice, but in my humble opinion, I have to agree with you. Turnbull is much more distinctive.

The question for the OP, are they willing to use multiple sources for each stage?

Turnbull offers Charcoal Bluing, Slow Rust Blue and Nitre Bluing.

TheCollector likes this.
  7. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    If I understand your question correctly..... Yes, I am willing to send parts to different finishers if I can get the finish characteristics I'm looking for.

8. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Also never seen baron in person however I imagine it to be something close to what’s on my weatherby mark v custom.

Not sure if weatherby does their own blue or if they use some other shop.

9. dclevinger

dclevinger Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Turnbull and Tyler would be the go to for CCH as has been mentioned. The key with bluing is the prep-work and both of those shops can take care of that as well.

WC145 likes this.
  10. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Thank you for the info... I actually had been looking at their FB page today. When I get to the point near ready to finish, I'll give them a call to see if they are accepting parts.

bobo3020 likes this.
  11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Turnbull for case hardening and Baron technology for bluing that’s who did the Wilson in question why not just use them.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted