Seeking info: Colt 7790314 slides/7791193 barrels

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by JMYoung, Dec 28, 2011.

1. JMYoung

JMYoung New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Ladies and Gents: I've decided to build a 1911. I have no gunsmithing experience and no machining experience. Hell, the last time I picked up a file was in my 8th grade shop class (19-ish years ago). Despite these minor shortcomings, I feel supremely confident that I will either succeed, or spend a lot more time and money succeeding than I intend. (Either way, I shall take pics and post them regardless of the outcome.)

Now to the point. I've attempted to do some research on Colt slides marked "7790341". The bit I've found all seems to be copy/paste from one source document and very general in nature. I would not consider the info to be highly reliable (due to my own ignorance of such things). Does anyone here have any first hand experience with these slides?

I have considered the option of buying the slide and frame from Caspian, Remsport or another such company, and I am highly confident that such components would make this much easier for me. However, I'm not looking for easy. I'm looking for a project that I can point to and say "I built that! It was a b!tch, but I built that".

Additionally, any information on barrels marked "7791193" would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    I googled the numbers and most of the info was vague and seemed to point to military contract Colt parts.
    Ok, so where would you get them and what difference does it make compared to a normal marketed Colt slide and frame?
    As long as the slide and frame are forged they will make a good project gun.
    If you have your heart set on Colt parts then fine.
    If you've never worked on a 1911 before then perhaps you could buy a Colt and take it apart and refit better quality parts to it as you would want it to be.
    It would still be like starting from scratch with a Colt frame and slide.
    At least you would have the learning process and examples from the original gun.
    There are a lot of tricks and things you need to know before putting a 1911 together from scratch.
    I'm not saying you can't do it but I would think you will be buying several parts at least a few times as you learn how to fit properly and in the end you will have spent more money then you thought you would have.
    Not a big deal but it can be difficult learning the hard way.
    For your first build I would hope you would consider simply modifying an existing gun into what you want it to be and after you learn some of the difficult things you can them move on to a complete build from scratch.
    Either way be prepared to make some learning mistakes and be prepared to take things slow and easy so you can learn as you go.
    trust me on this... there is a lot more to it than you think right now.

3. JMYoung

JMYoung New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I appreciate the response. I ordered Kuhnhausen's 1911 manuals and they should be here tomorrow. I'll be studying those for several months (or more) as I save for, and purchase parts and tools. I got a real dose of reality just watching youtube. The amount of skill, craftsmanship and artistry that goes into building and fitting a firearm is amazing to me. While part of me wants to jump right in and get started I realize that I'd be making a mistake in doing so.

4. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    JMYoung,
    Welcome, and thanks for your service.
    Buying a 1911 kit from either Caspian or Remsport will serve you well. I have build hundreds 1911's from ground up from both companies. I'm sure you will learn fast with your interest and dedication.
    Here's another idea, that will help you getting into custom firearms is organized competitive pistol shooting, such as IPSC and IDPA etc. Using pistols in competition, will teach you thinks that can't be read in books, and you'll also meet gunsmiths and customers. Wll, just an idea that has helped me out over the years, besides being trained by the best in the business.
    Good luck.

5. JMYoung

JMYoung New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Thank you for your advice. Competitive shooting is something I would love to participate in at some point. It's not in the cards at the moment as I'm transitioning out of the Army and back into civilian life. (Looking for a professional job is much more difficult than I could have imagined.) After I get my family settled wherever we end up going that's on a long list of activities to become involved in. Household-6 (Kelly) informed me last night that until I have a job I shall not spend one red cent on anything firearms related. I don’t know how she does that. She couldn’t see the computer. It’s like she KNOWS! :bolt:

Through researching the topic I have come to several conclusions. Primarily: I’m not equipped with the knowledge, skills, or tools to undertake a full-on build. In deciding to build a 1911 I failed to take into account multiple aspects of what is involved. Jim S proposed the excellent idea of modifying an existing firearm, and I agree that that would be the best place for me to start. Last night my side-kick (son) and I spent some time looking at my Mil-Spec and deciding what we would change first. He’s all about the “freakin’ lasers and flame throwers” :biggrin1: I’m thinking grip safety and fire control components.

Thanks all for the advice and input! Much appreciated.

6. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Well,
    It's all about priorities. I prefere working on 1911's from the inside and then on the outside. Depending on it's use, I consider reliabilty to be more important than cosmetics or ergonomics.
    Nothing wrong with your plan, just remember the true beauty on a 1911 is on the inside.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted