1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of been pondering a long slide for a while. Always thought they looked a little odd with that much slide hanging past the dust cover, but the look is really starting to grow on me more.

For those that own them, do you think they are more accurate? Any issues with function moving the additional weight? More fun to shoot than a 5 inch gun maybe?

Pondering one in 10mm or possibly 38 Super.

·
The Tinker
3,167 Posts
The slide weighs slightly more, with the COG slightly more forward than on a 5" slide. The slight increase in mass gives a bit more initial resistance to movement, and a slight decrease in slide velocity. Significant? Probably not to most. Some people will notice, others will not. As muzzle flip/perceived recoil is caused by the sudden stopping of the slide's rearward travel, a slight reduction in velocity can help. It (long slide) will help more with a 10mm or 38 Super chambering than with a lower pressure, comparatively soft(er) shooting 45. These are just my observations, and those of many who have shot my long slide builds. And the increased sight radius (if using sights) and more muzzle velocity are nice extras as well. I like putting direct ports on either side of the front sight to additionally help with muzzle flip, but I may be the outlier here regarding this. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
My only experience with a longslide is in 10mm. I enjoy shooting 10mm through my 5" guns, but through a 6" really puts a smile on my face. I feel there is less muzzle flip and the longer sight radius makes me more accurate from longer distance. I'm sure the accuracy from a ransom rest of my 5" guns vs my 6" is negligible, but in my hands I am more accurate. YMMV

·
I’m just here for the 1911’s
2,982 Posts
Follow up shots are more difficult due to the longer sight radius and the weight out front is harder to control and keep steady. Front end bounces more, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 6 in Rock Island in 10mm is tamed by the extra inch in weight, balance, slide movement, and it looks awesome. That being said, it turns my hot loads of 10mm into 40S&W feel. The end results however at my target are tighter groups, and massive carnage. I shoot metal cylinders and the 10mm inflicts major damage to them and I am realizing my words are not enough. Here is a picture to help. To give some perspective...on the mid right side of the cylinder where the words are, the hole by the (C) is a 308.
Resized_20200615_154348.jpg

·
Registered
780 Posts
My longslide(s) of the same brand are obviously softer to shoot than a commander of the same caliber. Accuracy to me is negligible, but the longslides are just a joy to shoot.

That means a government would be somewhere in the middle. :)

I get longslides more because they look cool and are more unique, the softer recoil is offset by reduced concealment / practicality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,261 Posts
I've shot a Nighthawk Commander, Colt Delta Elite "Government" and a Dan Wesson Kodiak Long slide. All 10mm one behind the other. There is a definite difference. No doubt about it. Biggest difference being between the Commander and Long Slide. The DW Kodiak is so smooth for a 10mm. Every one that shoots it smiles from ear to ear. It's a blast to rapid fire too by the way.
20200912_095107.jpg

20200912_095233.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 6 in Rock Island in 10mm is tamed by the extra inch in weight, balance, slide movement, and it looks awesome. That being said, it turns my hot loads of 10mm into 40S&W feel. The end results however at my target are tighter groups, and massive carnage. I shoot metal cylinders and the 10mm inflicts major damage to them and I am realizing my words are not enough. Here is a picture to help. To give some perspective...on the mid right side of the cylinder where the words are, the hole by the (C) is a 308. View attachment 626575
was the 134A drum empty when you started blasting? Haha

·
Registered
383 Posts
Kind of been pondering a long slide for a while. Always thought they looked a little odd with that much slide hanging past the dust cover, but the look is really starting to grow on me more.

For those that own them, do you think they are more accurate? Any issues with function moving the additional weight? More fun to shoot than a 5 inch gun maybe?

Pondering one in 10mm or possibly 38 Super.
Do you REALLY need to ask this question?

19C7DA2B-AF45-480F-9CD0-98CEA9FFB509.jpeg

D38ACDDC-FF01-4E3E-97F5-273453B75C5F.jpeg

... and in case it’s not clear... .45 ACP is the way to go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts