1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I i sell a firearm on this site, is it necessary to ship to ffl, if not are there any benefits from doing so, thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
An individual may ship a firearm across state lines to a FFL.

An individual may NOT ship a firearm across state lines to a FFL via USPS. It must be through a carrier like UPS or FedEx.

An individual shipping a handgun to a FFL across state lines via FedEx/UPS must ship it Next Day Air.

A FFL may ship a handgun across state lines to another FFL via USPS Priority Mail.

Some FFLs only accept firearms shipped to them from another FFL

In a nutshell, you can ship it yourself if the FFL accepts from individuals and you overnight it with FedEx/UPS. So it mighy be cheaper to have your FFL ship it.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,131 Posts
You can if comfortable sell face to face in your own state. “Take proper precautions”, and I suggest you verify that buyer is legit and produce valid identification and a carry permit if required within your state of reside.

Reactions: boatdoc

·
I like this place !
673 Posts
There is another service called “ship my gun” which is offered through Bud’s in KY. I used it once to ship a pistol to Oregon at the advice of the FFL there that was buying the pistol. Saved a lot of $$$, took 4-5 days to get there, mainly due to the time it took to process through the “ship my gun” organization.

It’s fairly easy to use.....all the info is on line “ship my gun.com”.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is another service called “ship my gun” which is offered through Bud’s in KY.
This is another good option that helps keep you in line with UPS & Federal regulations. However, you will still be shipping UPS and Firearms, and that has to be done through a UPS Customer Center – not a UPS store or dropbox or anything. I would use this service if my closest UPS Customer Center wasn't 45 minutes away. :/

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Also right now if you have a UPS account which you can sign up for online you can get 45% off next day shipping with promo code HOLIDAYS. This will be less than Ship my Gun. IIRC I use my individual UPS account to ship guns out for custom work. I pay with a credit card. You do have to ship through a UPS customer service center or hand it to your standard delivery driver.

For selling I use my FFL. They basically charge me $10 over the cost of USPS Priority mail. Ends up being $25-$30 depending on the insurance and size of the package.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
776 Posts
I used my FFL for that... it wound up being $80. Lol
.he felt bad about it (even showing the receipt) and waived my transfer fee on the trade, so it was reasonable.

The regs don't make it easy tho.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I used my FFL for that... it wound up being $80. Lol
.he felt bad about it (even showing the receipt) and waived my transfer fee on the trade, so it was reasonable.

The regs don't make it easy tho.

That would be the full cost via UPS or Fed Ex but if he ships USPS they can use a flat rate box. $15-$20

Reactions: Ohio

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
My FFL charges me $50 to ship fully insured. That’s cheaper and easier when shipping a $2-3k firearms

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Second recommendation for Ship My Gun. Much cheaper than FedEx or UPS if you're shipping yourself or an FFL, even though he can use USPS by the time you pay the transfer fees.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That would be the full cost via UPS or Fed Ex but if he ships USPS they can use a flat rate box. $15-$20
Thats why I used him - small town guy, he believes he cannot use USPS for some reason. I didnt argue as the gun was already shipped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI...recently purchased firearm from individual using guntab.com to handle the payment securely once the firearm is received. Of course FFL xfer is required across state lines
Capt Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts